Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 592

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2001
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 12:29:38 -0400
      > From: "dianejoy@..." <dianejoy@...>
      > Subject: RE: Re: Mythopoeic Award Finalists

      Is there any language about 'in the spirit of the Inklings'? Could it be
      any clearer that Pullman hates and opposes the Inklings?
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2001
        At 08:36 AM 5/21/2001 , Steve Schaper wrote:

        >Is there any language about 'in the spirit of the Inklings'? Could it be
        >any clearer that Pullman hates and opposes the Inklings?

        To hold your religious/spiritual/aesthetic beliefs passionately and have
        them be behind everything you write (not necessarily indoctrination or
        propaganda) is very much in the spirit of the Inklings. Those beliefs do
        not necessarily have to be the same as the Inklings'.

        Perhaps Pullman does indeed go too far - I am not interested enough in his
        work to tell - but to disagree with the Inklings does not itself mean that
        you are not in their spirit.

        By contrast, to believe exactly what an Inkling believed ("an Inkling"
        rather than "the Inklings" because they are not identical) but to reproduce
        it mechanically and unimaginatively, as any number of Tolclones and Narnia
        clones have done, is not in the spirit of the Inklings at all. Any author
        of quality whose beliefs do resemble those of the Inklings will certainly
        differ from any of them at least as much as they differed from each other.

        Diane Joy Baker wrote,

        >> Well! So much for Mr Philip Pullman!
        >
        > Yeah, but what about the YA list? Did he make that one? ---djb

        Nobody else seems to have pointed this out, so I will: Ellie Farrell's
        original post included the finalists for all four awards.

        David Bratman