Re: [mythsoc] Peretti's _Visitation_

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2001
      On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 08:14:34AM -0400, Stolzi@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 05/11/2001 8:15:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > bernip@... writes:
      >
      > > My question is, do you think he meant to be funny or was he being
      > > serious? Coming from a religious tradition which does not place any sort
      > of
      > > emphasis on tongues, I took it as funny. Does anyone know for sure if it
      > > was meant to be taken seriously or humorously?
      >
      > Berni, here's what my son says (who's more in touch now with the Charismatic
      > movement than I am):
      >
      > >You can tell Berni that this could be quite serious indeed, to the extent
      > >that you were a Charismatic closer to the original Pentecostalist tradition:
      > >"no baptism in the Holy Spirit without the evidence of tongues!" was the
      > >original party line.

      While I don't know how Peretti meant it, I attended a church while I was in
      school that took Mark 16:17-18 ("And these signs will accompany those who
      have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with
      new tongues; they will pick up serpents...") to mean that if a person didn't
      manifest the listed signs, especially tongues, he or she must not be a
      believer. The church was part of the Assemblies of God, a rather large
      denomination, so I think it's entirely possible Peretti was serious, but
      equally plausible that it was satire.