New Mexico book signings

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2001
      I've been dithering whether to post this announcement here. As I
      mentioned a few days ago, I've mostly lurked on this list, and don't
      want to seem too self-promotional. But I have seen other
      announcements on the list. So I hope this is acceptable. It's a
      combination of something my publicist put together and a few
      citations from reviews.

      Albuquerque, NM -- May 16, 2001 -- Michael Martinez, Xenite.Org
      founder and author of Visualizing Middle-earth, will be speaking to
      audiences at several New Mexico book stores in June.

      Visualizing Middle-earth is a collection of essays about J.R.R.
      Tolkien's Middle-earth. Martinez addresses popular fan questions
      about where Aragorn's people lived, whether Balrogs have wings, what
      life might have been like in various parts of Middle-earth, and
      more. The book also includes an extensive essay
      titled "Understanding Magic in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth".

      Chris Seeman, editor of Other Hands, writes: "Visualizing Middle-
      earth, even as a warm-up, sets a new standard for the reconstruction
      of the 'internal' history of Tolkien's legendarium (as distinct from
      its literary or linguistic criticism). It is, in fact, the first book
      of its kind."

      Michael Martinez has studied Middle-earth for more than twenty years.
      He's steeped in the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and you'll find his
      comments on the boxes of Toy Vault's Lord of the Nazgul action figure.

      Those who surf the Internet in search of information are very
      familiar with Michael's work. His website, entitled "Parma Endorion:
      Essays on Middle-earth", provoked this comment from Douglas A.
      Anderson, Editor of The Annotated Hobbit: "… your work is thorough,
      engaging, and illuminating. I wish I had more time to explore it…"

      Turgon at TheOneRing.Net says of Michael's work in Visualizing Middle-
      earth: "He has a chatty, opinionated and engaging style that makes
      you feel like you've pulled up a chair to his table at a pub, and got
      to listen in on his conversation."

      Michael is currently the Director of the fan-programming track
      dedicated to J.R.R. Tolkien and Middle-earth at Dragoncon, which is
      North America's largest fan-run science fiction and fantasy
      convention. The event drew more than 20,000 full members last year
      and was reportedly attended by more than 35,000 people altogether.
      The event is held annually in Atlanta, GA.

      While Middle-earth is the topic of his book and his passion, Michael
      is also a charter member of the Xenite and Herkulean Webmasters
      Association, founded in late 1997, and he is the founder of Xena
      Online Resources, the Web's largest dedicated directory of Hercules
      and Xena links. Along with other fans, he contributed to "Lucy
      Lawless and Renee O'Connor: Warrior Stars of Xena" before moving on
      to Tolkien and Middle-earth. He's been the subject of several
      interviews with the release of Visualizing Middle-Earth and is
      currently working on a history book that will detail the events,
      people, and geography in Tolkien's Middle-earth.

      Oh yes, lest we forget - Michael plans to become an Elf when he grows
      up.

      June 2, 2001
      Saturday 2-4 PM
      Hastings