Re: [[mythsoc] Sales of Lewiss books]

  • Hal May
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 1999
      WendellWag@... wrote:
      From: WendellWag@...

      May I change the subject to another of the Inklings?

      Has anyone else noticed the following? When I was in a religious bookstore a
      little more than a year ago, I noted that there was only about eight inches
      (maybe 12 or so copies) of Lewis's books on the nonfiction shelves there (and
      there were a few Narnia books in the children's section). Now perhaps it
      wasn't surprising that there were less of his books there than in a big
      Borders that I checked shortly afterwards, where there was about seven feet
      (maybe 120 copies) of his nonfiction books (along with some books about
      Lewis), since that store was considerably larger than the religious
      bookstore. But then I noticed that the copies of Lewis's nonfiction books
      sold in a hip latenight bookstore/cafe that was only a little larger than the
      religious book store took up about a foot and a half (maybe 24 copies). Is
      this generally true these days? Does Lewis not sell well at religious
      bookstores anymore?

      I remember that twenty years ago the religious bookstore next to the campus
      where I was a grad student had a whole section called "Lewis and Friends".
      Am I just not looking at the right religious bookstores these days? Or is
      Lewis considered too difficult for the people who purchase books at religious
      bookstores? Or is he considered too mainstream? Or does he not fit the
      conservative political opinions of people who run religious bookstores today?

      Wendell Wagner
      Concerning C.S.Lewis popularity among political conserva-
      tives:I'm one and the Lewis books(almost everything he
      wrote),has been incorporated into what I believe and how
      I think.They were the first books God led me to read,from
      the doctrinal,(like Mere Christianity and The Problem of
      Pain),to his Sci-Fi trilogy, Narnia,and The Great Divorce,
      which pointed me toward his master,MacDonald,and his two
      friends,Williams and Tolkien.It was about a year before I
      found a book store that had Williams fiction,and another
      four yrs before I found the first paperback reprints of
      MacDonald.I found THEM,(in 1981)in a Logos bookstore in
      the French Quarter of New Orleans,in a section called,as
      mentioned,"C.S. Lewis & Friends,"which took up an entire
      corner of the store,(a large one,with extremely high ceil-
      ings,in a building over 200 yrs old,the shelves about 4ft
      on a side out of each side of the corner,and the ceiling
      was about 12 ft.)Haven't been back there since 1981,so I
      don't know if they are still around,but I would imagine
      that the book BUSINESS effects the ebb and flow to some
      degree,but not necessarily those of us who love to read,
      and in particular,this genre.(Later I added Madeline
      L'Engle's time series to the group,although I like the
      first 3 much better than the last two,since the effect
      MacDonald had on her books was much more obvious and made
      her more similar,in effect,to Lewis,in the first 3.)
      What it amounts to is that I am very conservative,(my
      self-description is Orthodox,using it as an adjective,not
      a denomination),in that I believe the Bible as written,
      taking it as symbolic WHERE IT SAYS it is symbolic,and ig-
      noring opinions and interpretations that say otherwise.I
      have very little trouble with the few disputable ideas
      Lewis might have.And I do NOT believe in dispensational-
      ism.God is the same,yesterday,today,and forever.In the
      meantime,I love Lewis,MacDonald,Williams,Tolkien,and
      L'Engle.No Probs.Cool??

      We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
      Book Club´┐Ż offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
      + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

      Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com
    • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 1999
        In a message dated 7/9/99 12:59:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        shield333@... writes:

[...]

        The bookstore I mentioned that I remembered finding lots of Lewis's books in
        (and which even had a C. S. Lewis and Friends section) was also a Logos
        bookstore and furthermore the last time I was in it was also 1981. I never
        said that Lewis was too theologically conservative for the religious
        bookstore I checked (it was a Family Books, just like the one Mary
        Stolzenbach mentioned). If anything he might be too theologically liberal
        for them. I was speculating that Lewis wasn't *explicitly* politically
        conservative enough for them. Lewis's political opinions would now be
        considered slightly conservative, but he hardly ever explicitly discussed
        most of the issues that the religious right are now concerned with.

        In any case, I now withdraw the speculation. I think the reason that I don't
        see Lewis's books in religious bookstores is that many of those stores only
        do lightweight stuff and I've just happened to look in those stores.