Lewis in bookstores

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 1999
      OK, today I got to the former Baptist Bookstores establishment. They are now
      called LIFEWAY CHRISTIAN STORE. I always want to go in and ask if they will
      sell me a Christian. Just a small, humble one, who won't mind doing all my
      chores.

      I found two copies of Lewis' LETTERS TO CHILDREN. They were shelved in the
      "Devotional" section (?). In "Fiction," I found only one copy of SCREWTAPE
      and one copy of THE SILVER CHAIR. As far as I could see, that was it.

      However, this doesn't mean his total absence. I picked up a book called
      LETTERS TO A SKEPTIC, and in almost the first place I opened at, the writer
      was trying to convince his skeptical correspondent by quoting the thought of
      ... C.S. Lewis. And there were a couple books by Philip Yancey, who I am
      quite sure draws heavily upon Lewis, though I didn't see a specific mention
      in the one I opened.

      In these places I am always struck by the availability of 'most everything
      you'd get on the "outside," only repackaged. Case in point today was a book
      called INS-PURR-R-RATIONAL STORIES FOR CAT LOVERS: each one ending with an
      appropriate Bible verse. :)

      Many have made fun of this parallel Christian "cultural ghetto," but I have a
      certain sympathy, given the state of the culture at large. At least in
      Lifeway I was not confronted by a single lifesize cardboard cutout of Austin
      Powers, which was a relief.

      Mary S
    • Edith Louise Crowe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 1999
        On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 Stolzi@... wrote:

        > From: Stolzi@...
        >
        > Many have made fun of this parallel Christian "cultural ghetto," but I have a
        > certain sympathy, given the state of the culture at large. At least in
        > Lifeway I was not confronted by a single lifesize cardboard cutout of Austin
        > Powers, which was a relief.
        >
        > Mary S

        Mary, I can assure you that one doesn't have to be a Christian to have a
        profound desire to escape anything having to do with Austin Powers. I'm
        the last one to scoff at popular culture in general, but this is an
        enthusiasm that totally escapes me.

        Edith C>
      • rspeer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 1999
          I understand the disillusion with the culture in America today. However, I
          think that Austin Powers had aught to do with this decline, if you will, of
          today's culture. I saw the first one and thought it was a cute movie. I
          love the spoof that Mike Myers had of a Briton in the 60's. The movie as a
          whole was goofy, but watchable. That is similiar to saying that Star Wars
          is our myth. I'm sorry, but I can't see the connection. Christianity in
          it's true state is what people such as Tolkien or Lewis potrayed in their
          attitude. We, as a whole, have disfigured Christainity with our doomsday
          predictions and our television evangelists. I tend to lean toward
          Catholicsm, but God allows us to worship him in our own way.
          Thank you,
          Ron

          ----------

        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 1999
            In a message dated 7/11/99 12:29:58 PM Central Daylight Time, rspeer@...
            writes:

            > However, I
            > think that Austin Powers had aught to do with this decline, if you will, of
            > today's culture.

            He is not a cause but a symptom. It's the crude, leering vulgarity which I
            can't stand.

            Edith, we have a commercial on TV here in which the ineffable Austin P bares
            his bottom and is heard talking to a massage girl about his 'heinie' in a
            lispingly precious manner which makes me want to BARF. I'm with ya, girl;
            can't wait for the craze to be over :\ Even looking at his stupid teeth
            makes me ill.

            Mary S
          • rspeer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 1999
              I concede that there is so much sexual inneundo in the Austin Powers
              movies. However, if that is our culture at its worst, then we are not bad.
              There is so much much wrong with our society than Austin Powers.
              Ron