Re: Sales of Lewis's books

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7 6:47 PM
      The generic Christian bookstore near me, the Lion and the Lamb, has an
      excellent selection of Lewis' books. I haven't been to Berean Christian
      Bookstore lately to check.

      Ave Maria, my local Catholic bookstore, also stocks a fair amount of
      Lewis, but not as much as the Lion and the Lamb.

      Berni
    • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 14 5:10 AM
        In a message dated 7/13/99 5:29:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        shield333@... writes:

        > However, much to my shock, I recently heard someone call MacDonald's work a
        > little too "new age" for her. After a lengthy discussion she agreed that
        it had to do
        > with some personal perceptions that might be a little skewed, rather than
        the
        > actual work of MacDonald, itself.

        I've heard of people who think that Charles Williams's books flirt with
        occultism.

        In any case, we've established that some religious bookstores are rather
        lightweight. Can people tell me how well Lewis's books sell in non-religious
        bookstores? What surprised me was not only that there were only about 10 of
        Lewis's books in the religious bookstore I checked (a Family Books in the
        Laurel Center Mall), but that there were about 120 of his books (counting
        books about him) in the largest of the Washington(DC)-area bookstores (the
        Borders in White Flint Mall). This was quite a satisfactory selection of
        Lewis's books, I thought.

        The bigger surprise to me was that there was 20 of his books at Kramer Books
        and Afterwords, a hip latenight bookstore/cafe in the Dupont Circle
        neighborhood in D.C., which was as many books as any author in their
        philosophy/religion section. This store is in a neighborhood that likes to
        think of itself as bohemian (and being in D.C., it also tries to appeal to
        policy wonks). Historical note: It was one of the two bookstores subpoened
        by Ken Starr for a list of books bought by Monica Lewinsky. (The other was
        the Barnes & Noble in Georgetown.)

        So while some religious bookstores are a little lightweight, it looks to me
        like some mainstream bookstores are not lightweight. That's why I wonder if
        Lewis's readership is now perceived as being mainstream.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14 7:12 AM
          Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)

          I have already reported the mall bookstore I found extremely light in the
          matter of Lewis. Will check Barnes & Noble next time I'm in there.

          Mary S
        • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 16 1:55 AM
            In a message dated 7/14/99 10:15:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            > Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)

            Can you imagine the cross-examination she would get if she had?

            "So, tell us, Ms. Lewinsky, just exactly how did you plan to surprise the
            President, and what kind of joy were you promising him?"
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 16 7:41 AM
              In a message dated 7/16/99 3:56:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              > > Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)
              >
              > Can you imagine the cross-examination she would get if she had?

              Miracles happen where Lewis is involved... look at Chuck Colson!