Re: [mythsoc] New Narnia books/Intro

  • NiffMarie@cs.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2001
      In a message dated 5/10/2001 9:25:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      icats@... writes:

      > I wonder if anyone has heard anything regarding this item mentioned in this
      > week's Inscriptions newsletter?
      >
      > "The estate of author C.S. Lewis has decided to commission new books
      > based
      > on the author's Narnia characters. HarperCollins and the CS Lewis Company
      > are looking for established children's writers who'd like to create new
      > story lines within the world that began with "The Lion, The Witch and
      > the
      > Wardrobe."

      Hi!

      My name is Jennifer, though I usually go by "Niff" since there are a lot of
      "Jens" out there. :o) I love both Tolkein and C.S. Lewis, and have read the
      Chronicles of Narnia and LoTR, in addition to other works.

      Anyway, do you think that a good writer would be able to take over that kind
      of job? Do you think that the works will be of quality status?

      --Niff
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2001
        > In a message dated 5/10/2001 9:25:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > icats@... writes:
        >
        > > I wonder if anyone has heard anything regarding this item mentioned in
        this
        > > week's Inscriptions newsletter?
        > >
        > > "The estate of author C.S. Lewis has decided to commission new
        books
        > > based
        > > on the author's Narnia characters. HarperCollins and the CS Lewis
        Company
        > > are looking for established children's writers who'd like to create new
        > > story lines within the world that began with "The Lion, The Witch
        and
        > > the
        > > Wardrobe."
        > >
        > Hi!
        >
        > My name is Jennifer, though I usually go by "Niff" since there are a lot
        of
        > "Jens" out there. :o) I love both Tolkein and C.S. Lewis, and have read
        the
        > Chronicles of Narnia and LoTR, in addition to other works.
        >
        > Anyway, do you think that a good writer would be able to take over that
        kind
        > of job? Do you think that the works will be of quality status?
        >
        > --Niff

        Hi, Niff!

        Welcome. Just been discussing this on the Mere Lewis list. Most of us are
        very nervous about the whole idea. Of course, we can't stop the company
        (needless to say, those who strongly object will probably refuse to buy the
        new books), and we can only hope that new books won't be stylistically
        awful. Or worse---antithetical to the entire set of ideas Lewis espoused
        (i. e. Christianity and such) or infused with the modernistic ideas of
        "political correctness," which would not be CSL at all.

        This new opportunity would, of course, give Phillip Pullman the chance to
        blow up Narnia, though, which might give *him* a great deal of pleasure (if
        no one else). :/

        Some explanation might be in order here for the above comment. Some of us
        have recently read Phillip Pullman's trilogy, *Golden Compass, Subtle Knife*
        and *Amber Spyglass.* Pullman has made some rather disparaging comments
        regarding C. S. Lewis and Narnia in particular. He wrote his trilogy as a
        kind of "anti-Narnia." Hence the above comment. ---djb.

      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2001
          In a message dated 5/11/1 1:24:41 PM, Diane wrote:

          << Or worse---antithetical to the entire set of ideas Lewis espoused
          (i. e. Christianity and such) or infused with the modernistic ideas of
          "political correctness," which would not be CSL at all.>>

          Or worse -- reflecting a narrow-minded, anti-intellectual form of Evangelical
          Christianity rigidly bound to a specific right-wing agenda; that wouldn't be
          CSL at all, either.
          Alexei
        • NiffMarie@cs.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2001
            In a message dated 5/11/2001 9:23:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            dianejoy@... writes:

            > Hi, Niff!
            >
            > Welcome. Just been discussing this on the Mere Lewis list. Most
            > of us are
            > very nervous about the whole idea. Of course, we can't stop the
            > company
            > (needless to say, those who strongly object will probably refuse to buy the
            > new books), and we can only hope that new books won't be stylistically
            > awful. Or worse---antithetical to the entire set of ideas Lewis
            > espoused
            > (i. e. Christianity and such) or infused with the modernistic ideas of
            > "political correctness," which would not be CSL at all.

            Yeah, I'd be really worried, too. Even though I really liked Narnia, and it
            would be neat if there were more to the series, I'm not sure I'd want to
            gamble the quality in the name of continuation.

            > This new opportunity would, of course, give Phillip Pullman the chance to
            > blow up Narnia, though, which might give *him* a great deal of pleasure (if
            > no one else). :/

            I haven't read any of his stuff. Why was he all "anti-Narnia-is"?

            --Niff

          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 6 , May 15, 2001
              Message 6 of 6 , May 15, 2001
                In a message dated 5/15/2001 9:10:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                dianejoy@... writes:

                > I can't really say why he is anti Narnia, but my guess is that he objects
                > the pro-Christian content, and feels that CSL is "preaching."
                > In fact, CSL put forth a great deal of effort to tell a good story on its
                own
                > terms. If you've read Narnia, you know what I mean. ---djb.

                Oh yes, I know what you mean. I think it is good, though. But now I see where
                he's coming from.

                --Niff