Re: [mythsoc] Left Behind series

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2001
      Berni Phillips wrote:

      > From: <ERATRIANO@...>
      > >
      > > And, conversely, I think I want to read one book about a fellow named
      > Drizzt,
      > > as well as one Left Behind book and some other things.
      >
      > Be warned that _Left Behind_ and its sequels are very poorly written. I'm
      > convinced that a huge reason (not the only reason, but a significant factor)
      > for their popularity is how easy they are to read. They're almost all
      > dialogue with the remainder action. And, of course, they don't really end,
      > they just continue on in the next. (And, if you're Catholic, the theology
      > is incorrect as well, but that's definitely a matter of "your mileage may
      > vary.") That said, they're still fun and extremely fast to get through.
      > I've read four. I wouldn't mind reading the others, but I have to request
      > them at the library, and they're just not any kind of priority on my reading
      > list now.

      I'm also told by my husband (who has read some of them -- I
      haven't) that they contain major howlers for anyone at all
      technically minded. The example he quoted to
      non-technically-minded me was the delusion the authors seem to
      have that one can somehow build a nuclear weapon and "leave out"
      the fallout. =80

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2001
        On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 08:06:23PM -0400, Margaret Dean wrote:
        > Berni Phillips wrote:
        > >
        > > From: <ERATRIANO@...>
        > > >
        > > > And, conversely, I think I want to read one book about a fellow named
        > > Drizzt,
        > > > as well as one Left Behind book and some other things.
        > >
        > > Be warned that _Left Behind_ and its sequels are very poorly written. I'm
        > > convinced that a huge reason (not the only reason, but a significant factor)
        > > for their popularity is how easy they are to read. They're almost all
        > > dialogue with the remainder action. And, of course, they don't really end,
        > > they just continue on in the next. (And, if you're Catholic, the theology
        > > is incorrect as well, but that's definitely a matter of "your mileage may
        > > vary.") That said, they're still fun and extremely fast to get through.
        > > I've read four. I wouldn't mind reading the others, but I have to request
        > > them at the library, and they're just not any kind of priority on my reading
        > > list now.
        >
        > I'm also told by my husband (who has read some of them -- I
        > haven't) that they contain major howlers for anyone at all
        > technically minded. The example he quoted to
        > non-technically-minded me was the delusion the authors seem to
        > have that one can somehow build a nuclear weapon and "leave out"
        > the fallout. =80

        Didn't the Left Behind series begin life as a horrid set of 70's films,
        too? I seem to remember being subjected to several in high school
        chapel services, complete with apparent clones of the Partridge Family
        singing a "Left Behind" song at the beginning by the light of a disco
        ball. My dad has a lovely story of accidentally singing the same song
        with a college music group at a support group for widows, so I've never
        been able to listen to it without a morbid giggle or two.

        I'll also note that it's not just Catholics who would find the
        theology screwy. I had always thought of them as an example of the
        poor quality of most "Christian fiction", but now I see that they're
        becoming popular with "mainstream" readers.
      • David J. Finnamore
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2001
          Hi, Berni!

          Berni Phillips wrote:

          > Be warned that _Left Behind_ and its sequels are very poorly written. I'm
          > [snip]
          > they just continue on in the next. (And, if you're Catholic, the theology
          > is incorrect as well,

          That applies if you're from *any* historically orthodox branch of Christianity.
          The Pre-Trib, Pre-Mill, Dispensationalist take on eschatology originated a scant
          165 years ago.

          I have had a few people read me snippets from those books, and they did sound
          entertaining. But, hey, with so much really good stuff to read (and reread) - why
          bother?

          --
          David J. Finnamore
          Nashville, TN, USA
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2001
            On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 01:07:34PM -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:
            > In a message dated 5/11/01 4:25:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > juliet@... writes:
            >

            > > Didn't the Left Behind series begin life as a horrid set of 70's films,
            > > too?
            >
            > I don't think so. I think you're just remembering some film series from the
            > '70's with a similar plot. I think that for some time there has been a
            > tradition of small production companies making cheap, badly acted films which
            > show nowhere except for rentals at church groups.
            >
            > Wendell Wagner

            Well, a paragraph from a review of "Left Behind" the movie and my husband
            helped me figure out that the films I saw in high school were the "Thief
            in the Night" trilogy. I saw another when I was much younger in the same
            genre that featured a character named Nicolae, which fed my suspicions.

            "Anyone who has seen the Apocalypse or A Thief in the Night trilogies will
            find Left Behind to be familiar territory (thankfully, 2000 production
            values far exceed those available in 1972)."
            (http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/films/A0013507.html)

            Having figured out which films I saw, I'd like to say, please don't subject
            your children to these films!
            Message 5 of 6 , May 12, 2001