Re: [mythsoc] Left Behind series

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10 5:06 PM
      Berni Phillips wrote:

      > From: <ERATRIANO@...>
      > >
      > > And, conversely, I think I want to read one book about a fellow named
      > Drizzt,
      > > as well as one Left Behind book and some other things.
      >
      > Be warned that _Left Behind_ and its sequels are very poorly written. I'm
      > convinced that a huge reason (not the only reason, but a significant factor)
      > for their popularity is how easy they are to read. They're almost all
      > dialogue with the remainder action. And, of course, they don't really end,
      > they just continue on in the next. (And, if you're Catholic, the theology
      > is incorrect as well, but that's definitely a matter of "your mileage may
      > vary.") That said, they're still fun and extremely fast to get through.
      > I've read four. I wouldn't mind reading the others, but I have to request
      > them at the library, and they're just not any kind of priority on my reading
      > list now.

      I'm also told by my husband (who has read some of them -- I
      haven't) that they contain major howlers for anyone at all
      technically minded. The example he quoted to
      non-technically-minded me was the delusion the authors seem to
      have that one can somehow build a nuclear weapon and "leave out"
      the fallout. =80

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10 5:20 PM
        From: <ERATRIANO@...>

        > And, conversely, I think I want to read one book about a fellow named
        Drizzt,
        > as well as one Left Behind book and some other things.

        Be warned that _Left Behind_ and its sequels are very poorly written. I'm
        convinced that a huge reason (not the only reason, but a significant factor)
        for their popularity is how easy they are to read. They're almost all
        dialogue with the remainder action. And, of course, they don't really end,
        they just continue on in the next. (And, if you're Catholic, the theology
        is incorrect as well, but that's definitely a matter of "your mileage may
        vary.") That said, they're still fun and extremely fast to get through.
        I've read four. I wouldn't mind reading the others, but I have to request
        them at the library, and they're just not any kind of priority on my reading
        list now.

        Berni
      • Juliet Blosser
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11 1:48 AM
          On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 08:06:23PM -0400, Margaret Dean wrote:
          > Berni Phillips wrote:
          > >
          > > From: <ERATRIANO@...>
          > > >
          > > > And, conversely, I think I want to read one book about a fellow named
          > > Drizzt,
          > > > as well as one Left Behind book and some other things.
          > >
          > > Be warned that _Left Behind_ and its sequels are very poorly written. I'm
          > > convinced that a huge reason (not the only reason, but a significant factor)
          > > for their popularity is how easy they are to read. They're almost all
          > > dialogue with the remainder action. And, of course, they don't really end,
          > > they just continue on in the next. (And, if you're Catholic, the theology
          > > is incorrect as well, but that's definitely a matter of "your mileage may
          > > vary.") That said, they're still fun and extremely fast to get through.
          > > I've read four. I wouldn't mind reading the others, but I have to request
          > > them at the library, and they're just not any kind of priority on my reading
          > > list now.
          >
          > I'm also told by my husband (who has read some of them -- I
          > haven't) that they contain major howlers for anyone at all
          > technically minded. The example he quoted to
          > non-technically-minded me was the delusion the authors seem to
          > have that one can somehow build a nuclear weapon and "leave out"
          > the fallout. =80

          Didn't the Left Behind series begin life as a horrid set of 70's films,
          too? I seem to remember being subjected to several in high school
          chapel services, complete with apparent clones of the Partridge Family
          singing a "Left Behind" song at the beginning by the light of a disco
          ball. My dad has a lovely story of accidentally singing the same song
          with a college music group at a support group for widows, so I've never
          been able to listen to it without a morbid giggle or two.

          I'll also note that it's not just Catholics who would find the
          theology screwy. I had always thought of them as an example of the
          poor quality of most "Christian fiction", but now I see that they're
          becoming popular with "mainstream" readers.
        • David J. Finnamore
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11 4:03 PM
            Hi, Berni!

            Berni Phillips wrote:

            > Be warned that _Left Behind_ and its sequels are very poorly written. I'm
            > [snip]
            > they just continue on in the next. (And, if you're Catholic, the theology
            > is incorrect as well,

            That applies if you're from *any* historically orthodox branch of Christianity.
            The Pre-Trib, Pre-Mill, Dispensationalist take on eschatology originated a scant
            165 years ago.

            I have had a few people read me snippets from those books, and they did sound
            entertaining. But, hey, with so much really good stuff to read (and reread) - why
            bother?

            --
            David J. Finnamore
            Nashville, TN, USA
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11 11:56 PM
              On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 01:07:34PM -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:
              > In a message dated 5/11/01 4:25:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > juliet@... writes:
              >

              > > Didn't the Left Behind series begin life as a horrid set of 70's films,
              > > too?
              >
              > I don't think so. I think you're just remembering some film series from the
              > '70's with a similar plot. I think that for some time there has been a
              > tradition of small production companies making cheap, badly acted films which
              > show nowhere except for rentals at church groups.
              >
              > Wendell Wagner

              Well, a paragraph from a review of "Left Behind" the movie and my husband
              helped me figure out that the films I saw in high school were the "Thief
              in the Night" trilogy. I saw another when I was much younger in the same
              genre that featured a character named Nicolae, which fed my suspicions.

              "Anyone who has seen the Apocalypse or A Thief in the Night trilogies will
              find Left Behind to be familiar territory (thankfully, 2000 production
              values far exceed those available in 1972)."
              (http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/films/A0013507.html)

              Having figured out which films I saw, I'd like to say, please don't subject
              your children to these films!
              Message 6 of 6 , May 12 10:07 AM