Thanks, gang

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10 4:03 PM
      I have been wanting to write this group a quick thank-you note for this crash
      education/epiphany that there are so many sort of subgroups of fantasy
      lovers. It would never have occurred to me that there are RPG arenas where
      people aren't into the old fantasy lit as well as the new stuff. And even as
      I am learning about that here, I am seeing it demonstrated on the gaming
      lists I belong to, both onlist and in off-list chat.

      Now I am finding myself in the position of wanting to recommend the older
      classics to folks who, sometimes, unthinkably, haven't even read LOTR. They
      know DragonLance and Left Behind and I don't even know what else, R.A.
      Salvatore and David (is that right?) Eddings and so on. With my library in
      the attic (insert standard Lizzie whine here)... anyway I want to recommend
      perhaps Morris and MacDonald for starters. I am thinking to just give them
      the author names and say, go look in the card catalog or something, because
      what's available and in print or available at used bookstores, will vary.
      And, conversely, I think I want to read one book about a fellow named Drizzt,
      as well as one Left Behind book and some other things.

      We'll be going to Tucson soon. Are there any really good bookstores or used
      bookstores that I shouldn't miss in the Tucson - Tombstone - Bisbee area? I
      have one or two on my list from seeing the ads, and hope to pick up a few
      things autographed, and get autographs for some books that I have at the
      author's shop.

      Lizzie
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 4:13 PM
        And, conversely, I think I want to read one book about a fellow named Drizzt,
        as well as one Left Behind book and some other things.

        Lizzie

        We've had a few replies on the Left Behind Series, but would I be showing fatal ignorance if I ask who "Drizzt" is?
        --Trudy Shaw

      • Randall Eicher
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13 7:08 AM

          > We've had a few replies on the Left Behind Series, but would I be
          showing fatal ignorance if I ask who "Drizzt" is?
          > --Trudy Shaw

          Drizz't is the central character is a series by R.A. Salvatore. Last time I
          checked the series consisted of two trilogies, though I have only got around
          to reading the first trilogy.

          The story is set in the Dungeon and Dragons world setting of the Forgotten
          Realms and is an RPG related story though Salvatore is a better writer than
          most who write those kind of books and it was quite enjoyable.

          Drizz't is a renegade dark elf (drow) who has renounced the evil ways of his
          kind and has fled to the surface world and attempts to make his way there in
          the face of the prejudices of the surface dwellers. The first trilogy tells
          the story of his upbringing in the underworld caverns of his homeland and
          his escape to the surface world along with his first adventures there. It
          has been a long time since I read it so I am rather fuzzy on the details.

          I do remember that it was a decent read, much better than all the other RPG
          related stuff I have read, including the original Dragon Trilogy.

          Randall Eicher
        • James P. Robinson III
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13 9:28 AM
            Drizzt Do'Urden (sp?) is a dark elf hero of a series (trilogy?) of books By
            an author named, I believe, R. A. Salvatore. I read the first one and
            thought it decent but not great. I prefered Daughter of the Drow and
            Tangled Webs by Elaine Cunnignham, set in the same millieu.

            Jim

            As the clock struck 06:13 PM 5/12/2001 -0500, Trudy Shaw took pen in hand
            and wrote:

> [...]

            James P. Robinson III jprobins@...

            author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with
            an attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
            given in writing.