Re: Sales of Lewis's books

  • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
      In a message dated 7/7/99 3:23:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > Lewis himself was plenty conservative politically.

      Yes, but I wonder if he still wasn't *explicitly* conservative enough
      politically to satisfy some people. On the average, his political opinions
      would be considered somewhat conservative these days (although some would be
      a little more conservative than most people now and some a little more
      liberal than most people now), but he didn't tend to discuss his political
      opinions in his books much. Partly this was he considered important issues
      to be "pre-political" (in the sense that they had to be resolved before one
      could even begin to do politics), but partly this was because he was trying
      to keep the issues discussed in his books to what he considered "mere
      Christianity".

      On thinking about this issue though, I now suspect that the paucity of
      Lewis's books in religious bookstores these days is more because the
      lightweightedness of these stores and because many of them don't find Lewis
      to be sufficiently *explicitly* fundamentalist.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
        The generic Christian bookstore near me, the Lion and the Lamb, has an
        excellent selection of Lewis' books. I haven't been to Berean Christian
        Bookstore lately to check.

        Ave Maria, my local Catholic bookstore, also stocks a fair amount of
        Lewis, but not as much as the Lion and the Lamb.

        Berni
      • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14, 1999
          In a message dated 7/13/99 5:29:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          shield333@... writes:

          > However, much to my shock, I recently heard someone call MacDonald's work a
          > little too "new age" for her. After a lengthy discussion she agreed that
          it had to do
          > with some personal perceptions that might be a little skewed, rather than
          the
          > actual work of MacDonald, itself.

          I've heard of people who think that Charles Williams's books flirt with
          occultism.

          In any case, we've established that some religious bookstores are rather
          lightweight. Can people tell me how well Lewis's books sell in non-religious
          bookstores? What surprised me was not only that there were only about 10 of
          Lewis's books in the religious bookstore I checked (a Family Books in the
          Laurel Center Mall), but that there were about 120 of his books (counting
          books about him) in the largest of the Washington(DC)-area bookstores (the
          Borders in White Flint Mall). This was quite a satisfactory selection of
          Lewis's books, I thought.

          The bigger surprise to me was that there was 20 of his books at Kramer Books
          and Afterwords, a hip latenight bookstore/cafe in the Dupont Circle
          neighborhood in D.C., which was as many books as any author in their
          philosophy/religion section. This store is in a neighborhood that likes to
          think of itself as bohemian (and being in D.C., it also tries to appeal to
          policy wonks). Historical note: It was one of the two bookstores subpoened
          by Ken Starr for a list of books bought by Monica Lewinsky. (The other was
          the Barnes & Noble in Georgetown.)

          So while some religious bookstores are a little lightweight, it looks to me
          like some mainstream bookstores are not lightweight. That's why I wonder if
          Lewis's readership is now perceived as being mainstream.

          Wendell Wagner
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 14, 1999
            Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)

            I have already reported the mall bookstore I found extremely light in the
            matter of Lewis. Will check Barnes & Noble next time I'm in there.

            Mary S
          • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 16, 1999
              In a message dated 7/14/99 10:15:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
              writes:

              > Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)

              Can you imagine the cross-examination she would get if she had?

              "So, tell us, Ms. Lewinsky, just exactly how did you plan to surprise the
              President, and what kind of joy were you promising him?"
            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 16, 1999
                In a message dated 7/16/99 3:56:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
                WendellWag@... writes:

                > > Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)
                >
                > Can you imagine the cross-examination she would get if she had?

                Miracles happen where Lewis is involved... look at Chuck Colson!