Re: [mythsoc] Another article on monkey's heads

    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2001
      dbratman@... writes:

      > Is _News of the Wierd_ weirder than _News of the Weird_, or just wierder?

      O.K.. you're complaining about my spelling of "weird," which I admit I do
      sometimes get wrong. I was worried that you might complain about something
      bigger, like how (in the article I quoted) I wrote ". . . the brains. only
      connection to the body. . .". How did I manage to type "brains." instead of
      "brain's", and how did I manage to miss that error when I proofread that
      message?

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2001
        Try =this= one on for size:

        http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/05/06/stinwenws01006.h
        tml

        Professor set to 'control' wife by cyborg implant

        Roger Dobson <mailto:roger.dobson@...>

        SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
        they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
        wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
        alone.

        The professor hopes it will show how two brains can interact; doctors at
        Stoke Mandeville hospital, who will perform the surgery, hope it will
        lead to new treatments for paralysis victims.

        In the experiment Kevin Warwick, professor of cybernetics at Reading
        University, and his wife, Irena, will have silicon chips about 2in long
        implanted in their arms just above the elbow. Each chip will also have a
        power source, a tuner and a radio transceiver. They will be surgically
        connected to nerve fibres in the couple's arms.

        The signals from Warwick will be converted to radio waves and
        transmitted to a computer which will re- transmit them to the chip in
        Irena. Warwick believes that when he moves his own fingers, his brain
        will also be able to move Irena's.

        They may even be able to communicate anger and excitement, because
        emotions also stimulate nerve activity. "It is like putting a plug into
        the nervous system," said Warwick.

        "If I move my left index finger by sending signals to move the muscles,
        those signals will also be transmitted to Irena's nervous system. We
        know the signal is transmissable. The question is whether it will be
        recognised in the same way by Irena."

        The signal could reach Irena's brain as well as her fingers. Not
        surprisingly she is wary, "I have mixed feelings because I'm worried
        about the operation, being under an anaesthetic," she said. "On the
        other hand, it is exciting." Apart from the novelty and excitement, she
        does not want her husband to be "linked up to another woman".

        Ali Jamous, the surgeon who will lead the operation on the couple, says
        the technology may one day help people who are paralysed by spinal cord
        damage. "The nerves in the leg below the lesion are still working but
        cannot make contact with the brain," he said. "If we could transmit that
        signal from one side of the lesion to the other, you could bypass the
        break."

        With Warwick he aims to connect both motor and sensory nerves to the
        chip in the hope that signals from one or both will prove transmissable.
        "It should work because the basic science is good," he said.

        Ian Pearson, who studies emerging technologies for British Telecom, says
        several centres are researching cyborgs: "The aim is to control
        computers and other equipment through direct links to the brain. It is
        control by thought and I know the military are very interested."

        At Massachusetts Institute of Technology in America, cyborg research is
        concentrated mainly on wearable computers. These can be set in clothing
        fabric like a printed circuit, or worn as a pair of spectacles that can
        project images onto the eye.

        However, Warwick, who hopes to undergo the operation in September,
        believes he is in the vanguard: "I think we have a window of a few
        months and we will be the first." Provided he does not fall out with his
        wife.
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2001
          > Is _News of the Wierd_ weirder than _News of the Weird_, or just wierder?

          O.K.. you're complaining about my spelling of "weird," which I admit I do
          sometimes get wrong.

          The only way I can remember this one is the little mnemonic device that "weird is spelled weirdly" (i.e., doesn't follow the i before e rule). Stupid, but it works for me--and no matter how many times I use the word, I have to stop and think of it. According to my spellchecker I did spell mnemonic right, but I just learned that "spellcheck" is not a word--according to my *spellchecker*.

          --Trudy Shaw

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • David J. Finnamore
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2001
            Stolzi wrote:

            > SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
            > they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
            > wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
            > alone.

            Fine with me, as long as, when the take over the universe, they take Wendell's
            advice and use something other than the cliché "Resistance is futile."

            --
            David J. Finnamore
            Nashville, TN, USA
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2001
              > SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
              > they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
              > wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
              > alone.

              I wonder if they'll name their first son "Chip"?

              --
              David J. Finnamore
              Nashville, TN, USA