Re: [mythsoc] Another article on monkey's heads

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2001
      At 10:51 AM 5/5/2001 -0400, Wendell wrote:

      >Note that while Rose was quoted in other news articles on this subject,
      those
      >articles made it sound like Rose was only mildly disagreeing with White
      about
      >the usefulness of his research. This article makes it clearly that Rose
      >thinks (as I do) that White is just a blowhard whose research is nothing
      >original and who is no closer to the real problems of head attachment (like
      >joining up the nervous system) than anyone else.

      It may be worth noting that Filostrato's experiment in THS didn't really
      work scientifically either. He just thought it did.

      >The following appeared in _News of the Wierd_ this week. _News of the
      Wierd_
      >is a column that summarizes interesting, oddball news articles from
      >mainstream news sources.

      Is _News of the Wierd_ weirder than _News of the Weird_, or just wierder?

      David Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2001
        dbratman@... writes:

        > Is _News of the Wierd_ weirder than _News of the Weird_, or just wierder?

        O.K.. you're complaining about my spelling of "weird," which I admit I do
        sometimes get wrong. I was worried that you might complain about something
        bigger, like how (in the article I quoted) I wrote ". . . the brains. only
        connection to the body. . .". How did I manage to type "brains." instead of
        "brain's", and how did I manage to miss that error when I proofread that
        message?

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2001
          Try =this= one on for size:

          http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/05/06/stinwenws01006.h
          tml

          Professor set to 'control' wife by cyborg implant

          Roger Dobson <mailto:roger.dobson@...>

          SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
          they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
          wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
          alone.

          The professor hopes it will show how two brains can interact; doctors at
          Stoke Mandeville hospital, who will perform the surgery, hope it will
          lead to new treatments for paralysis victims.

          In the experiment Kevin Warwick, professor of cybernetics at Reading
          University, and his wife, Irena, will have silicon chips about 2in long
          implanted in their arms just above the elbow. Each chip will also have a
          power source, a tuner and a radio transceiver. They will be surgically
          connected to nerve fibres in the couple's arms.

          The signals from Warwick will be converted to radio waves and
          transmitted to a computer which will re- transmit them to the chip in
          Irena. Warwick believes that when he moves his own fingers, his brain
          will also be able to move Irena's.

          They may even be able to communicate anger and excitement, because
          emotions also stimulate nerve activity. "It is like putting a plug into
          the nervous system," said Warwick.

          "If I move my left index finger by sending signals to move the muscles,
          those signals will also be transmitted to Irena's nervous system. We
          know the signal is transmissable. The question is whether it will be
          recognised in the same way by Irena."

          The signal could reach Irena's brain as well as her fingers. Not
          surprisingly she is wary, "I have mixed feelings because I'm worried
          about the operation, being under an anaesthetic," she said. "On the
          other hand, it is exciting." Apart from the novelty and excitement, she
          does not want her husband to be "linked up to another woman".

          Ali Jamous, the surgeon who will lead the operation on the couple, says
          the technology may one day help people who are paralysed by spinal cord
          damage. "The nerves in the leg below the lesion are still working but
          cannot make contact with the brain," he said. "If we could transmit that
          signal from one side of the lesion to the other, you could bypass the
          break."

          With Warwick he aims to connect both motor and sensory nerves to the
          chip in the hope that signals from one or both will prove transmissable.
          "It should work because the basic science is good," he said.

          Ian Pearson, who studies emerging technologies for British Telecom, says
          several centres are researching cyborgs: "The aim is to control
          computers and other equipment through direct links to the brain. It is
          control by thought and I know the military are very interested."

          At Massachusetts Institute of Technology in America, cyborg research is
          concentrated mainly on wearable computers. These can be set in clothing
          fabric like a printed circuit, or worn as a pair of spectacles that can
          project images onto the eye.

          However, Warwick, who hopes to undergo the operation in September,
          believes he is in the vanguard: "I think we have a window of a few
          months and we will be the first." Provided he does not fall out with his
          wife.
        • Trudy Shaw
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2001
            > Is _News of the Wierd_ weirder than _News of the Weird_, or just wierder?

            O.K.. you're complaining about my spelling of "weird," which I admit I do
            sometimes get wrong.

            The only way I can remember this one is the little mnemonic device that "weird is spelled weirdly" (i.e., doesn't follow the i before e rule). Stupid, but it works for me--and no matter how many times I use the word, I have to stop and think of it. According to my spellchecker I did spell mnemonic right, but I just learned that "spellcheck" is not a word--according to my *spellchecker*.

            --Trudy Shaw

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • David J. Finnamore
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2001
              Stolzi wrote:

              > SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
              > they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
              > wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
              > alone.

              Fine with me, as long as, when the take over the universe, they take Wendell's
              advice and use something other than the cliché "Resistance is futile."

              --
              David J. Finnamore
              Nashville, TN, USA
              Message 6 of 7 , May 7, 2001
                > SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
                > they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
                > wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
                > alone.

                I wonder if they'll name their first son "Chip"?

                --
                David J. Finnamore
                Nashville, TN, USA