Another article on monkey's heads

    Message 1 of 7 , May 5 7:51 AM
      The following appeared in _News of the Wierd_ this week. _News of the Wierd_
      is a column that summarizes interesting, oddball news articles from
      mainstream news sources. (It doesn't reprint articles from tabloids.) It
      appears in various weekly alternative newspapers. I read it in _The
      Washington City Paper_.

      ********************

      Case Western Reserve (Cleveland, Ohio) school of Medicine Professor Robert
      White, interviewed on a British TV program in April, said that his
      monkey-to-monkey head transplant was a partial success (in that the patient
      lived for a while) and that, with improvements, the procedure could one day
      be used on humans. However, a critic, Dr. Stephen Rose, disputed that the
      recipient monkey had been functional, contending that the brains. only
      connection to the body it was serving was a shared blood supply: "All you're
      doing is keeping a severed head alive."

      ********************

      Note that while Rose was quoted in other news articles on this subject, those
      articles made it sound like Rose was only mildly disagreeing with White about
      the usefulness of his research. This article makes it clearly that Rose
      thinks (as I do) that White is just a blowhard whose research is nothing
      original and who is no closer to the real problems of head attachment (like
      joining up the nervous system) than anyone else.

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5 11:16 AM
        At 10:51 AM 5/5/2001 -0400, Wendell wrote:

        >Note that while Rose was quoted in other news articles on this subject,
        those
        >articles made it sound like Rose was only mildly disagreeing with White
        about
        >the usefulness of his research. This article makes it clearly that Rose
        >thinks (as I do) that White is just a blowhard whose research is nothing
        >original and who is no closer to the real problems of head attachment (like
        >joining up the nervous system) than anyone else.

        It may be worth noting that Filostrato's experiment in THS didn't really
        work scientifically either. He just thought it did.

        >The following appeared in _News of the Wierd_ this week. _News of the
        Wierd_
        >is a column that summarizes interesting, oddball news articles from
        >mainstream news sources.

        Is _News of the Wierd_ weirder than _News of the Weird_, or just wierder?

        David Bratman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6 12:57 PM
          dbratman@... writes:

          > Is _News of the Wierd_ weirder than _News of the Weird_, or just wierder?

          O.K.. you're complaining about my spelling of "weird," which I admit I do
          sometimes get wrong. I was worried that you might complain about something
          bigger, like how (in the article I quoted) I wrote ". . . the brains. only
          connection to the body. . .". How did I manage to type "brains." instead of
          "brain's", and how did I manage to miss that error when I proofread that
          message?

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6 3:30 PM
            Try =this= one on for size:

            http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/05/06/stinwenws01006.h
            tml

            Professor set to 'control' wife by cyborg implant

            Roger Dobson <mailto:roger.dobson@...>

            SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
            they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
            wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
            alone.

            The professor hopes it will show how two brains can interact; doctors at
            Stoke Mandeville hospital, who will perform the surgery, hope it will
            lead to new treatments for paralysis victims.

            In the experiment Kevin Warwick, professor of cybernetics at Reading
            University, and his wife, Irena, will have silicon chips about 2in long
            implanted in their arms just above the elbow. Each chip will also have a
            power source, a tuner and a radio transceiver. They will be surgically
            connected to nerve fibres in the couple's arms.

            The signals from Warwick will be converted to radio waves and
            transmitted to a computer which will re- transmit them to the chip in
            Irena. Warwick believes that when he moves his own fingers, his brain
            will also be able to move Irena's.

            They may even be able to communicate anger and excitement, because
            emotions also stimulate nerve activity. "It is like putting a plug into
            the nervous system," said Warwick.

            "If I move my left index finger by sending signals to move the muscles,
            those signals will also be transmitted to Irena's nervous system. We
            know the signal is transmissable. The question is whether it will be
            recognised in the same way by Irena."

            The signal could reach Irena's brain as well as her fingers. Not
            surprisingly she is wary, "I have mixed feelings because I'm worried
            about the operation, being under an anaesthetic," she said. "On the
            other hand, it is exciting." Apart from the novelty and excitement, she
            does not want her husband to be "linked up to another woman".

            Ali Jamous, the surgeon who will lead the operation on the couple, says
            the technology may one day help people who are paralysed by spinal cord
            damage. "The nerves in the leg below the lesion are still working but
            cannot make contact with the brain," he said. "If we could transmit that
            signal from one side of the lesion to the other, you could bypass the
            break."

            With Warwick he aims to connect both motor and sensory nerves to the
            chip in the hope that signals from one or both will prove transmissable.
            "It should work because the basic science is good," he said.

            Ian Pearson, who studies emerging technologies for British Telecom, says
            several centres are researching cyborgs: "The aim is to control
            computers and other equipment through direct links to the brain. It is
            control by thought and I know the military are very interested."

            At Massachusetts Institute of Technology in America, cyborg research is
            concentrated mainly on wearable computers. These can be set in clothing
            fabric like a printed circuit, or worn as a pair of spectacles that can
            project images onto the eye.

            However, Warwick, who hopes to undergo the operation in September,
            believes he is in the vanguard: "I think we have a window of a few
            months and we will be the first." Provided he does not fall out with his
            wife.
          • Trudy Shaw
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7 5:11 AM
              > Is _News of the Wierd_ weirder than _News of the Weird_, or just wierder?

              O.K.. you're complaining about my spelling of "weird," which I admit I do
              sometimes get wrong.

              The only way I can remember this one is the little mnemonic device that "weird is spelled weirdly" (i.e., doesn't follow the i before e rule). Stupid, but it works for me--and no matter how many times I use the word, I have to stop and think of it. According to my spellchecker I did spell mnemonic right, but I just learned that "spellcheck" is not a word--according to my *spellchecker*.

              --Trudy Shaw

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • David J. Finnamore
              Message 6 of 7 , May 7 7:26 AM
                Stolzi wrote:

                > SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
                > they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
                > wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
                > alone.

                Fine with me, as long as, when the take over the universe, they take Wendell's
                advice and use something other than the cliché "Resistance is futile."

                --
                David J. Finnamore
                Nashville, TN, USA
                Message 7 of 7 , May 7 7:36 AM
                  > SURGEONS are preparing to create the first husband and wife cyborgs:
                  > they intend to implant computer chips in a British professor and his
                  > wife to see if they can communicate sensation and movement by thought
                  > alone.

                  I wonder if they'll name their first son "Chip"?

                  --
                  David J. Finnamore
                  Nashville, TN, USA