Re: Sales of Lewis's books

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > Or is
      > Lewis considered too difficult for the people who purchase books at
      > religious
      > bookstores? Or is he considered too mainstream? Or does he not fit the
      > conservative political opinions of people who run religious bookstores
      today?

      Well, you gotta name your religious bookstore. The one near me "Family
      Books" (formerly Zondervan) is terminally lightweight. You won't even find a
      =book= on the first floor, which is devoted to plaques, artwork (of sorts),
      greeting cards, kiddiestuff, and tapes and CDs. The other one nearby used to
      be "Baptist Bookstores" but they have come up with a new name (forget what it
      is) which doesn't even mention books, though it sells quite a few.

      I wonder how Catholic stores would compare, but we have none out here, only
      downtown Nashville's St. Mary's.

      If the weather wasn't so hot I'd go do a shelf count for you at these
      places... yes, I know, it's only normal hot weather here, you have it even
      worse in DC.

      Lewis himself was plenty conservative politically. I think you are looking
      at =theological= conservatism, which is unhappy, for instance, w/ Lewis' view
      of Scripture, or of the possibilities of salvation for unbelievers. Or maybe
      some managements have been spooked by the "Lewis as New Ager/Satanist" views
      referred to earlier here. But I meet many quite conservative Christians on
      the MereLewis list who are nuts about his books, give classes at their
      churches based on them, etc. They are getting them =somewhere.=

      Another general bookstore near here is privately owned, has a Christian slant
      (conservative Presbyterian, I believe) to the ownership, and carries =lots=
      of Lewis books and does, or did, run an evening Lewis-centered discussion
      group.

      Mary S
    • Christine Howlett
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
        I have to admit that the admittedly few 'religious' bookstores I've been in
        seem to sell mostly very lightweight books. Most of them would be on the
        order of daily meditations and books from the popular TV preachers. I
        wouldn't consider many of CSL's books to be heavy - he was targetting less
        educated people - but they do require a capacity for critical thought. I am
        lucky to have a seminary close by (Episcopalian) with a good bookstore and a
        manager who is very willing to order special books. I've found some neat
        stuff just browsing through. Maybe some others of us are so blessed?

        Christine
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
          In a message dated 7/7/99 3:23:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > Lewis himself was plenty conservative politically.

          Yes, but I wonder if he still wasn't *explicitly* conservative enough
          politically to satisfy some people. On the average, his political opinions
          would be considered somewhat conservative these days (although some would be
          a little more conservative than most people now and some a little more
          liberal than most people now), but he didn't tend to discuss his political
          opinions in his books much. Partly this was he considered important issues
          to be "pre-political" (in the sense that they had to be resolved before one
          could even begin to do politics), but partly this was because he was trying
          to keep the issues discussed in his books to what he considered "mere
          Christianity".

          On thinking about this issue though, I now suspect that the paucity of
          Lewis's books in religious bookstores these days is more because the
          lightweightedness of these stores and because many of them don't find Lewis
          to be sufficiently *explicitly* fundamentalist.

          Wendell Wagner
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
            The generic Christian bookstore near me, the Lion and the Lamb, has an
            excellent selection of Lewis' books. I haven't been to Berean Christian
            Bookstore lately to check.

            Ave Maria, my local Catholic bookstore, also stocks a fair amount of
            Lewis, but not as much as the Lion and the Lamb.

            Berni
          • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 14, 1999
              In a message dated 7/13/99 5:29:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              shield333@... writes:

              > However, much to my shock, I recently heard someone call MacDonald's work a
              > little too "new age" for her. After a lengthy discussion she agreed that
              it had to do
              > with some personal perceptions that might be a little skewed, rather than
              the
              > actual work of MacDonald, itself.

              I've heard of people who think that Charles Williams's books flirt with
              occultism.

              In any case, we've established that some religious bookstores are rather
              lightweight. Can people tell me how well Lewis's books sell in non-religious
              bookstores? What surprised me was not only that there were only about 10 of
              Lewis's books in the religious bookstore I checked (a Family Books in the
              Laurel Center Mall), but that there were about 120 of his books (counting
              books about him) in the largest of the Washington(DC)-area bookstores (the
              Borders in White Flint Mall). This was quite a satisfactory selection of
              Lewis's books, I thought.

              The bigger surprise to me was that there was 20 of his books at Kramer Books
              and Afterwords, a hip latenight bookstore/cafe in the Dupont Circle
              neighborhood in D.C., which was as many books as any author in their
              philosophy/religion section. This store is in a neighborhood that likes to
              think of itself as bohemian (and being in D.C., it also tries to appeal to
              policy wonks). Historical note: It was one of the two bookstores subpoened
              by Ken Starr for a list of books bought by Monica Lewinsky. (The other was
              the Barnes & Noble in Georgetown.)

              So while some religious bookstores are a little lightweight, it looks to me
              like some mainstream bookstores are not lightweight. That's why I wonder if
              Lewis's readership is now perceived as being mainstream.

              Wendell Wagner
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 1999
                Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)

                I have already reported the mall bookstore I found extremely light in the
                matter of Lewis. Will check Barnes & Noble next time I'm in there.

                Mary S
              • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 16, 1999
                  In a message dated 7/14/99 10:15:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
                  writes:

                  > Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)

                  Can you imagine the cross-examination she would get if she had?

                  "So, tell us, Ms. Lewinsky, just exactly how did you plan to surprise the
                  President, and what kind of joy were you promising him?"
                • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 16, 1999
                    In a message dated 7/16/99 3:56:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    WendellWag@... writes:

                    > > Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)
                    >
                    > Can you imagine the cross-examination she would get if she had?

                    Miracles happen where Lewis is involved... look at Chuck Colson!