Re: Book Reviews

  • stephen@stephen.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2001
      Amazon.com has several review systems that I've been finding useful recently.

      They've had customer reviews for a while, and the "people who bought this
      also bought that" information, but now they also review the customer reviews
      (e.g. "92 of 94 people found the following review helpful").

      They collect editorial reviews on a seperate page, so Lord of the Rings for
      example has a page with reviews by Amazon, AudioFile and Book News, an entry
      from The Merriam-Webster Encyclopedia of Literature, plus description,
      synopsis, bio and two different publicity pieces from Houghton Mifflin.

      The Amazon editorial reviews seem to me to have gotten rather good recently.
      And they have their own best-selling list which runs 10s of thousands deep
      instead of just the top 100.

      AND you can help the world while shopping by going to
      http://www.thehungersite.com/ and clicking on 'Shop & Help'. If you follow
      the link to Amazon from there, then part of the money you spend goes to fight
      hunger.

      All-in-all, they've been making me very happy about buying books.

      - Stephen
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2001
        In a message dated 04/28/01 5:57:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        stephen@... writes:

        << All-in-all, they've been making me very happy about buying books. >>

        Yes, if it weren't for RL constraints, one could spend hours just surfing
        Amazon.com! I get there once a week, maybe, and just as well because I don't
        have the willpower to resist more. Books are wonderful things, they provide
        great pleasure and take up very little room. But they still cost money. I
        like the way Amazon has used books too, not exactly theirs but available on
        their site. The book I bought recently, however, has a lot of underlining in
        it. Because of the price I paid, I can't really complain, but I'm not happy
        about it. I should see if it's pencil and can be erased.

        Lizzie