Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 573

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28 9:52 AM
      In a message dated 4/28/01 6:46:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
      jupalffy@... writes:

      > our goatfoot friends

      Well, I'm confused now, because my dictionary says that satyrs "are often
      depicted with the tail and ears of a horse" - no mention of their feet or
      legs.

      Pan, like the fauns, is goatfooted indeed.

      Those herbs are marvellous. Rather like the "Herbal teas" that enable so
      many females in fantasyland to carry on, despite their medieval surroundings,
      with never a qualm about inconvenient conception.

      But then we do know from Professor Lewis that fauns are subject to
      petrification...

      > they've long since
      > found the appropriate herbs to heal these things

      In fact, animals can and do recover from foot and mouth, I've learned. It's
      a mere, savage, economic decision to put them down rather than help them to
      heal, or inoculate them. (The test for the presence of the disease, required
      for export, also reacts positively to inoculation.) Or so I've read. One of
      those damned shames that makes us sometimes wish we, too, lived in
      fantasyland.

      Mary S