Sales of Lewis's books

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
      May I change the subject to another of the Inklings?

      Has anyone else noticed the following? When I was in a religious bookstore a
      little more than a year ago, I noted that there was only about eight inches
      (maybe 12 or so copies) of Lewis's books on the nonfiction shelves there (and
      there were a few Narnia books in the children's section). Now perhaps it
      wasn't surprising that there were less of his books there than in a big
      Borders that I checked shortly afterwards, where there was about seven feet
      (maybe 120 copies) of his nonfiction books (along with some books about
      Lewis), since that store was considerably larger than the religious
      bookstore. But then I noticed that the copies of Lewis's nonfiction books
      sold in a hip latenight bookstore/cafe that was only a little larger than the
      religious book store took up about a foot and a half (maybe 24 copies). Is
      this generally true these days? Does Lewis not sell well at religious
      bookstores anymore?

      I remember that twenty years ago the religious bookstore next to the campus
      where I was a grad student had a whole section called "Lewis and Friends".
      Am I just not looking at the right religious bookstores these days? Or is
      Lewis considered too difficult for the people who purchase books at religious
      bookstores? Or is he considered too mainstream? Or does he not fit the
      conservative political opinions of people who run religious bookstores today?

      Wendell Wagner
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
        WendellWag@... writes:

        > Or is
        > Lewis considered too difficult for the people who purchase books at
        > religious
        > bookstores? Or is he considered too mainstream? Or does he not fit the
        > conservative political opinions of people who run religious bookstores
        today?

        Well, you gotta name your religious bookstore. The one near me "Family
        Books" (formerly Zondervan) is terminally lightweight. You won't even find a
        =book= on the first floor, which is devoted to plaques, artwork (of sorts),
        greeting cards, kiddiestuff, and tapes and CDs. The other one nearby used to
        be "Baptist Bookstores" but they have come up with a new name (forget what it
        is) which doesn't even mention books, though it sells quite a few.

        I wonder how Catholic stores would compare, but we have none out here, only
        downtown Nashville's St. Mary's.

        If the weather wasn't so hot I'd go do a shelf count for you at these
        places... yes, I know, it's only normal hot weather here, you have it even
        worse in DC.

        Lewis himself was plenty conservative politically. I think you are looking
        at =theological= conservatism, which is unhappy, for instance, w/ Lewis' view
        of Scripture, or of the possibilities of salvation for unbelievers. Or maybe
        some managements have been spooked by the "Lewis as New Ager/Satanist" views
        referred to earlier here. But I meet many quite conservative Christians on
        the MereLewis list who are nuts about his books, give classes at their
        churches based on them, etc. They are getting them =somewhere.=

        Another general bookstore near here is privately owned, has a Christian slant
        (conservative Presbyterian, I believe) to the ownership, and carries =lots=
        of Lewis books and does, or did, run an evening Lewis-centered discussion
        group.

        Mary S
      • Christine Howlett
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
          I have to admit that the admittedly few 'religious' bookstores I've been in
          seem to sell mostly very lightweight books. Most of them would be on the
          order of daily meditations and books from the popular TV preachers. I
          wouldn't consider many of CSL's books to be heavy - he was targetting less
          educated people - but they do require a capacity for critical thought. I am
          lucky to have a seminary close by (Episcopalian) with a good bookstore and a
          manager who is very willing to order special books. I've found some neat
          stuff just browsing through. Maybe some others of us are so blessed?

          Christine

        • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
            In a message dated 7/7/99 3:23:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            > Lewis himself was plenty conservative politically.

            Yes, but I wonder if he still wasn't *explicitly* conservative enough
            politically to satisfy some people. On the average, his political opinions
            would be considered somewhat conservative these days (although some would be
            a little more conservative than most people now and some a little more
            liberal than most people now), but he didn't tend to discuss his political
            opinions in his books much. Partly this was he considered important issues
            to be "pre-political" (in the sense that they had to be resolved before one
            could even begin to do politics), but partly this was because he was trying
            to keep the issues discussed in his books to what he considered "mere
            Christianity".

            On thinking about this issue though, I now suspect that the paucity of
            Lewis's books in religious bookstores these days is more because the
            lightweightedness of these stores and because many of them don't find Lewis
            to be sufficiently *explicitly* fundamentalist.

            Wendell Wagner
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 1999
              The generic Christian bookstore near me, the Lion and the Lamb, has an
              excellent selection of Lewis' books. I haven't been to Berean Christian
              Bookstore lately to check.

              Ave Maria, my local Catholic bookstore, also stocks a fair amount of
              Lewis, but not as much as the Lion and the Lamb.

              Berni
            • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 1999
                In a message dated 7/13/99 5:29:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                shield333@... writes:

                > However, much to my shock, I recently heard someone call MacDonald's work a
                > little too "new age" for her. After a lengthy discussion she agreed that
                it had to do
                > with some personal perceptions that might be a little skewed, rather than
                the
                > actual work of MacDonald, itself.

                I've heard of people who think that Charles Williams's books flirt with
                occultism.

                In any case, we've established that some religious bookstores are rather
                lightweight. Can people tell me how well Lewis's books sell in non-religious
                bookstores? What surprised me was not only that there were only about 10 of
                Lewis's books in the religious bookstore I checked (a Family Books in the
                Laurel Center Mall), but that there were about 120 of his books (counting
                books about him) in the largest of the Washington(DC)-area bookstores (the
                Borders in White Flint Mall). This was quite a satisfactory selection of
                Lewis's books, I thought.

                The bigger surprise to me was that there was 20 of his books at Kramer Books
                and Afterwords, a hip latenight bookstore/cafe in the Dupont Circle
                neighborhood in D.C., which was as many books as any author in their
                philosophy/religion section. This store is in a neighborhood that likes to
                think of itself as bohemian (and being in D.C., it also tries to appeal to
                policy wonks). Historical note: It was one of the two bookstores subpoened
                by Ken Starr for a list of books bought by Monica Lewinsky. (The other was
                the Barnes & Noble in Georgetown.)

                So while some religious bookstores are a little lightweight, it looks to me
                like some mainstream bookstores are not lightweight. That's why I wonder if
                Lewis's readership is now perceived as being mainstream.

                Wendell Wagner
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 14, 1999
                  Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)

                  I have already reported the mall bookstore I found extremely light in the
                  matter of Lewis. Will check Barnes & Noble next time I'm in there.

                  Mary S
                • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 16, 1999
                    In a message dated 7/14/99 10:15:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
                    writes:

                    > Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)

                    Can you imagine the cross-examination she would get if she had?

                    "So, tell us, Ms. Lewinsky, just exactly how did you plan to surprise the
                    President, and what kind of joy were you promising him?"
                  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 16, 1999
                      In a message dated 7/16/99 3:56:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
                      WendellWag@... writes:

                      > > Say, Wendell, Monica didn't buy any CS Lewis titles, did she? ;)
                      >
                      > Can you imagine the cross-examination she would get if she had?

                      Miracles happen where Lewis is involved... look at Chuck Colson!