RE: [mythsoc] Digest Number 573

  • Julia Palffy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28 4:40 AM
      Mary "Stolzi" wrote :

      > Has it occurred to you that not only Great Pan himself, but all
      > the fauns &
      > satyrs, are at risk from this dread disease[foot and mouth]?

      Extracts from "The tough guide to Fantasyland" by Diana Wynne Jones:

      "- Chilblains are unheard of, however inclement the weather. This is
      probably because the Management lives mostly in California."

      "- Common cold: This is one of many viral nuisances not present. You can get
      as wet, cold and tired as you like, and you will still not catch cold. But
      see PLAGUE."

      "- Plague visits certain areas unpredictably and kills a lot of people.
      Though this is not surprising, given the amount of refuse lying about, the
      relative absence of bacteria/viruses suggests that the cause may be magical
      [...]Tourists need not be alarmed [...] No tourist catches Plague."

      No mention whatever of blisters, illnesses, sickness or wounds, still less
      of anything like the foot and mouth epidemy. Either it doesn't exist there,
      so that our goatfoot friends are quite safe, or else they've long since
      found the appropriate herbs to heal these things and they're not even worth
      mentioning.

      Julia Palffy
      Zug, Switzerland
      jupalffy@...
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28 9:52 AM
        In a message dated 4/28/01 6:46:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
        jupalffy@... writes:

        > our goatfoot friends

        Well, I'm confused now, because my dictionary says that satyrs "are often
        depicted with the tail and ears of a horse" - no mention of their feet or
        legs.

        Pan, like the fauns, is goatfooted indeed.

        Those herbs are marvellous. Rather like the "Herbal teas" that enable so
        many females in fantasyland to carry on, despite their medieval surroundings,
        with never a qualm about inconvenient conception.

        But then we do know from Professor Lewis that fauns are subject to
        petrification...

        > they've long since
        > found the appropriate herbs to heal these things

        In fact, animals can and do recover from foot and mouth, I've learned. It's
        a mere, savage, economic decision to put them down rather than help them to
        heal, or inoculate them. (The test for the presence of the disease, required
        for export, also reacts positively to inoculation.) Or so I've read. One of
        those damned shames that makes us sometimes wish we, too, lived in
        fantasyland.

        Mary S