  • Staci Dumoski
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2001
      Greetings from Phantastes, the Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism. The
      Spring 2001 issue of Phantastes, "Building Fantasy Worlds 2", is now online
      at <http://www.phantastes.com/>

      This issue includes:
      An Interview with Sharon Green, by Debbie Ledesma.
      > "There are gender stereotypes everywhere, and I've noticed something strange:
      > if I'm not mistaken, books with "helpless" characters, both male and female,
      > seem to be more popular; the bigger the 'fraidy-cat,' in effect, the better
      > the sales."
      > <http://www.phantastes.com/01spring/green.html>

      Belief is in the Details: Don¹t Take the Present for Granted, by K.V.
      Johansen.
      > ³Farming is a complex business; it goes on all around us, but most people
      > never give it a moment's thought, with embarrassing results for their
      > fiction.²
      > <http://www.phantastes.com/01spring/details.html>

      Change in Fantasy Civilizations, by Aaron Emmel
      > ŒYou've developed your fantasy world, and everything is perfect. You have your
      > good kingdom here, the rural town your hero grows up in there, your evil
      > empire that he'll have to infiltrate with his companions over there. You're
      > set. Until you decide to expand your book into a series, or set a story in the
      > same world but a different time.²
      > <http://www.phantastes.com/01spring/change.html>

      "What the Kelk is that Dwarf-Lover Doing?" Build a Better World Through
      Offensive Language, by Marissa Lingen
      > ³if you get the insults and curses right, no one will notice -- but if you get
      > them wrong, you'll break the mood, and the sense of wonder that goes with it.
      > Your profanities, obscenities, and insults can speak volumes about the culture
      > you're writing about.¹
      > <http://www.phantastes.com/01spring/kelk.html>

      William Morris and the Gift of Fantasy, by Kurt Henry
      > ³What makes Morris the pivotal figure in fantasy is the combination of an
      > imaginary -- yet seemingly real -- alternative world with the legend and
      > landscape of the Middle Ages. He deserves recognition from those who follow
      > the genre for having established some of the parameters of a new tradition of
      > storytelling that he called romance and we call fantasy.²
      > <http://www.phantastes.com/01spring/morris.html>

      While you are at the site, please remember to drop by the forums and tells
      us what you think: <http://www.phantastes.com/forums.html>

      Please forward this message to anyone who might be interested in reading our
      publication. Subscribe to our mailing list to automatically receive updates
      when new issues are online. Send email to
      PhantastesAnnounce-request@... with the word ³Subscribe² in the
      subject line.

      Regards,
      Staci Ann Dumoski