Re: [mythsoc] Re: "Elves and dragons", I says to him.

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 25, 2001
      In a message dated 04/25/01 11:00:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << I would recommend reading Tolkien's letters and a
      biography before tackling the History of Middle Earth (the 12-volume series
      of Christopher Tolkien's editing of Tolkien's works). As Steve says, you
      have several years of interesting reading before you. >>

      Yeah, hm, actually I did read a bio, it was interesting too. That's when I
      learned about his So. African childhood. I could do to reread it though. I
      am not much for reading letters except in context, though. But then
      Margaret said:

      << I'd second Wendell's recommendation of the Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.
      They are fascinating (and give a lot of additional information and insight
      about his books). Even better, I understand there is a new edition out with
      a BETTER INDEX.
      Believe me, I've been tempted . . .>>

      So I guess I should ask about that version?

      I hope I have a lifetime of interesting reading ahead of me, everything has
      just fallen apart reading-wise since I had kids. And my books have been in
      boxes since I moved out from my parents' house. whine, whine....

      I think I haven't really read something until I've reread it, rereading being
      something I always took for granted (along with reading time).

      Lizzie
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 26, 2001
        I'd second Wendell's recommendation of the Letters of J.R.R.
        Tolkien. They are fascinating (and give a lot of additional
        information and insight about his books). Even better, I
        understand there is a new edition out with a BETTER INDEX.
        Believe me, I've been tempted . . .

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>

        I have a copy of the new edition of the Letters. I don't know _how_ different the indices are, but I've been able to use the new one to good effect. The edition's also available in trade paperback, which will hopefully make it available to more readers (I've been recommending it to a number of young people starting to realize there's more to LotR than battles and magic).

        For me, the best thing about the new edition coming out was that I could buy my _own_, instead of checking the sole copy out of the library, renewing it, returning it, checking it out, renewing it... (I was tempted at times to tell the library I'd lost it, and just pay for the book, but then nobody else would have had a chance to use it--if they could grab it between my check-outs.)

        --Trudy Shaw

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 28, 2001
          Lizzie,

          As far as recommendations about what to read next, do you know about David
          Bratman's bibliography page?:

          http://www.mythsoc.org/inklings.html

          A useful guide to the works of the Inklings.

          In a message dated 4/25/01 10:43:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          ERATRIANO@... writes:

          > And, obviously, I am NOT either a serious

          Oh, please, you're as well read as most of the people here. No need to claim
          false modesty here. Hardly any of us do this professionally. We're all just
          fans.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2001
            In a message dated 4/28/01 11:22:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > In a message dated 4/25/01 10:43:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > ERATRIANO@... writes:
            >
            > > And, obviously, I am NOT either a serious

            It did it again. It cut off what I was quoting. What I meant to quote was: