Re: [mythsoc] Re: Aman Lost

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2001
      "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

      > Lizzie wrote:

      > > Okay, while I'm on this subject again, here is what I know I have, what else
      > > should I look for FIRST? (Primary Tolkien only, I'm not interested in things
      > > like Master of Middle Earth at this time, that's a whole 'nother bookshelf,
      > > er, box.)
      > >
      > > Hobbit
      > > LoTR
      > > Tolkien Reader
      > > Silmarillion
      > > Lays of Beleriand
      > > something else... I forget what; I think a random Lost Tale or some such
      >
      > The Unfinished Tales (or the Lost Tales, same material in a different
      > format by a different publisher)

      No it isn't! UNFINISHED TALES is =not= the same as THE BOOK OF
      LOST TALES (Vol's 1 and 2, which are also the first two books in
      the History of Middle Earth series).

      > is worth working through. I make regular reference to Karen Fonstad's
      > "The Atlas of Middle-earth," Ruth Noel's "The Languages of Tolkien's
      > Middle-earth,"

      Ack! Nooo! Noel's book is very, very inaccurate. She simply
      Doesn't Get It as far as the structure of Tolkien's languages
      goes. The other two are okay.

      > and Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth." All three
      > are invaluable for keeping everything-body-where straight while reading
      > about the histories.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Steve Dufour
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2001
        "Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live
        deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you
        give that to them?
        Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of
        justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise
        cannot see all ends." -Gandalf about Gollum

        "He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not
        dare to raise our hands against. He is fallen, and
        his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him, in
        the hope that he may find it." -Frodo about Saruman

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • David J. Finnamore
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
          Margaret Dean wrote:

          > No it isn't! UNFINISHED TALES is =not= the same as THE BOOK OF
          > LOST TALES (Vol's 1 and 2, which are also the first two books in
          > the History of Middle Earth series).

          Really?! Looking through the ToC (which, I admit, is all I've done) it appears to be mostly same chapter titles in a different order. Well, a trip to Amazon is in my near future, I see. My apologies, and thanks for the correction.

          > Ack! Nooo! Noel's book is very, very inaccurate. She simply
          > Doesn't Get It as far as the structure of Tolkien's languages
          > goes.

          Oh, dear. Inaccurate in word definitions, too, or only structure? I tend to use it pretty much as a concordance, so far. Do you, or does anyone on the list, have a substitute recommendation? This is good timing since I'm about to dive into really learning
          Sindarin and relearning the Elvish script. Any hints/tips/suggestions welcome.

          Thanks!

          --
          David J. Finnamore
          Nashville, TN, USA
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
            In a message dated 04/25/01 12:52:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            daeron@... writes:

            << I make regular reference to Karen Fonstad's "The Atlas of Middle-earth,"
            Ruth Noel's "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth,"
            and Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth." All three are
            invaluable for keeping everything-body-where straight while reading about the
            histories. >>

            Okay so far as the who's who stuff goes, isn't that all in the appendices of
            the Tolkien works themselves? Glossaries and things?

            Actually I do have one book of Letters, or my dad does, the Father Christmas
            Letters. Boy that's a good one. ggg

            Lizzie
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
              In a message dated 4/26/01 1:20:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              daeron@... writes:

              > Oh, dear. Inaccurate in word definitions, too, or only structure? I tend
              > to use it pretty much as a concordance, so far. Do you, or does anyone on
              > the list, have a substitute recommendation? This is good timing since I'm
              > about to dive into really learning
              > Sindarin and relearning the Elvish script. Any hints/tips/suggestions
              > welcome.

              Look at the following website:

              http://www.elvish.org/resources.html

              This has many suggestions as about learning Tolkien's invented languages. It
              contains this page:

              http://www.elvish.org/articles/LRH.html

              which explains the problems with the Ruth Noel book.

            • David J. Finnamore
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                Lizzie wrote:

                > Okay so far as the who's who stuff goes, isn't that all in the appendices of
                > the Tolkien works themselves? Glossaries and things?

                Not in as much detail. Nor all in one place, in alphabetical order, with cross references.

                --
                David J. Finnamore
                Nashville, TN, USA
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
                  Wendell Wagner wrote:

                  > Look at the following website:
                  >
                  > http://www.elvish.org/resources.html
                  >
                  > This has many suggestions as about learning Tolkien's invented languages. It
                  > contains this page:
                  >
                  > http://www.elvish.org/articles/LRH.html
                  >
                  > which explains the problems with the Ruth Noel book.

                  Thanks! Very enlightening.

                  --
                  David J. Finnamore
                  Nashville, TN, USA