Re: Aman Lost

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2001
      Lizzie wrote:

      > margdean@... writes:
      >
      > << One of the most interesting of the 12 volumes of the posthumous "History
      > of
      > > Middle-earth". It consists of material written after LOTR dealing with the
      > > early parts of the Silmarillion saga, Valinor, and the "deep structure" of
      > > Tolkien's creation.
      >
      > It's Volume Ten, btw, in case that helps in finding it. I agree
      > with David that it's one of the most interesting in the series! >>
      >
      > Okay well I can see I am even further behind in my reading than I thought.
      > It's hopeless. :-(

      Naw. From what scanning I've done of the others, I think you can safely give most of them amiss and go directly to Volume Ten - unless you're really interested in all the variants of the stories that Tolkien tried before settling on the final version. I
      find that stuff more confusing than anything. Even parts of the Unfinished Tales, with the several options for the identity of Celeborn and his meeting up with Galadriel, are too much for me.

      > Okay, while I'm on this subject again, here is what I know I have, what else
      > should I look for FIRST? (Primary Tolkien only, I'm not interested in things
      > like Master of Middle Earth at this time, that's a whole 'nother bookshelf,
      > er, box.)
      >
      > Hobbit
      > LoTR
      > Tolkien Reader
      > Silmarillion
      > Lays of Beleriand
      > something else... I forget what; I think a random Lost Tale or some such

      The Unfinished Tales (or the Lost Tales, same material in a different format by a different publisher) is worth working through. I make regular reference to Karen Fonstad's "The Atlas of Middle-earth," Ruth Noel's "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth,"
      and Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth." All three are invaluable for keeping everything-body-where straight while reading about the histories.

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2001
        "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

        > Lizzie wrote:

        > > Okay, while I'm on this subject again, here is what I know I have, what else
        > > should I look for FIRST? (Primary Tolkien only, I'm not interested in things
        > > like Master of Middle Earth at this time, that's a whole 'nother bookshelf,
        > > er, box.)
        > >
        > > Hobbit
        > > LoTR
        > > Tolkien Reader
        > > Silmarillion
        > > Lays of Beleriand
        > > something else... I forget what; I think a random Lost Tale or some such
        >
        > The Unfinished Tales (or the Lost Tales, same material in a different
        > format by a different publisher)

        No it isn't! UNFINISHED TALES is =not= the same as THE BOOK OF
        LOST TALES (Vol's 1 and 2, which are also the first two books in
        the History of Middle Earth series).

        > is worth working through. I make regular reference to Karen Fonstad's
        > "The Atlas of Middle-earth," Ruth Noel's "The Languages of Tolkien's
        > Middle-earth,"

        Ack! Nooo! Noel's book is very, very inaccurate. She simply
        Doesn't Get It as far as the structure of Tolkien's languages
        goes. The other two are okay.

        > and Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth." All three
        > are invaluable for keeping everything-body-where straight while reading
        > about the histories.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Steve Dufour
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 25, 2001
          "Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live
          deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you
          give that to them?
          Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of
          justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise
          cannot see all ends." -Gandalf about Gollum

          "He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not
          dare to raise our hands against. He is fallen, and
          his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him, in
          the hope that he may find it." -Frodo about Saruman

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • David J. Finnamore
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
            Margaret Dean wrote:

            > No it isn't! UNFINISHED TALES is =not= the same as THE BOOK OF
            > LOST TALES (Vol's 1 and 2, which are also the first two books in
            > the History of Middle Earth series).

            Really?! Looking through the ToC (which, I admit, is all I've done) it appears to be mostly same chapter titles in a different order. Well, a trip to Amazon is in my near future, I see. My apologies, and thanks for the correction.

            > Ack! Nooo! Noel's book is very, very inaccurate. She simply
            > Doesn't Get It as far as the structure of Tolkien's languages
            > goes.

            Oh, dear. Inaccurate in word definitions, too, or only structure? I tend to use it pretty much as a concordance, so far. Do you, or does anyone on the list, have a substitute recommendation? This is good timing since I'm about to dive into really learning
            Sindarin and relearning the Elvish script. Any hints/tips/suggestions welcome.

            Thanks!

            --
            David J. Finnamore
            Nashville, TN, USA
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
              In a message dated 04/25/01 12:52:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              daeron@... writes:

              << I make regular reference to Karen Fonstad's "The Atlas of Middle-earth,"
              Ruth Noel's "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth,"
              and Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth." All three are
              invaluable for keeping everything-body-where straight while reading about the
              histories. >>

              Okay so far as the who's who stuff goes, isn't that all in the appendices of
              the Tolkien works themselves? Glossaries and things?

              Actually I do have one book of Letters, or my dad does, the Father Christmas
              Letters. Boy that's a good one. ggg

              Lizzie
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                In a message dated 4/26/01 1:20:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                daeron@... writes:

                > Oh, dear. Inaccurate in word definitions, too, or only structure? I tend
                > to use it pretty much as a concordance, so far. Do you, or does anyone on
                > the list, have a substitute recommendation? This is good timing since I'm
                > about to dive into really learning
                > Sindarin and relearning the Elvish script. Any hints/tips/suggestions
                > welcome.

                Look at the following website:

                http://www.elvish.org/resources.html

                This has many suggestions as about learning Tolkien's invented languages. It
                contains this page:

                http://www.elvish.org/articles/LRH.html

                which explains the problems with the Ruth Noel book.

              • David J. Finnamore
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                  Lizzie wrote:

                  > Okay so far as the who's who stuff goes, isn't that all in the appendices of
                  > the Tolkien works themselves? Glossaries and things?

                  Not in as much detail. Nor all in one place, in alphabetical order, with cross references.

                  --
                  David J. Finnamore
                  Nashville, TN, USA
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
                    Wendell Wagner wrote:

                    > Look at the following website:
                    >
                    > http://www.elvish.org/resources.html
                    >
                    > This has many suggestions as about learning Tolkien's invented languages. It
                    > contains this page:
                    >
                    > http://www.elvish.org/articles/LRH.html
                    >
                    > which explains the problems with the Ruth Noel book.

                    Thanks! Very enlightening.

                    --
                    David J. Finnamore
                    Nashville, TN, USA