Re: Varied Subjects

  • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
      Wendell,
      I was speaking hypothetically about the Silmarillion. I know that
      Hollywood will not approve any script from said book. I meant that it would
      be easier to pick a story and to do that justice rather than a major
      undertaking such as the LOTR.
      Yours in cooperation.
      Ron
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
        Doug will be the guest of honor at Mythcon/Bree Moot this summer in Milwaukee.
        He'll be showing slides that I think were originally compiled in connection with
        doing the book, which I gather would be much longer, well, the annotations would
        be more extensive, were it being done today. Too bad if you can't make it.
        But, in case Doug is NOT on this list, may I forward your note to him?

        Responding to the message of <fae13590.24b119c3@...>
        from mythsoc@onelist.com:

        > From: FrMacKen@...
        >
        > Hello All;
        > I bought a book several years ago that I still love today. As I
        > recall it cost much for the hardcover edition, but I think it has more than
        > paid for itself for all the interesting information it has between its
        > covers.
        > The book: The Annotated Hobbit annotated by Douglas A. Anderson.
        > Simply, a rare and wonderful find.
        > Concerning the movie: I would be greatly surprised if the movie based
        > on the LOTR is good. There are just too many characters involved in this
        > book. Hollywood will not do it justice. I would have rather see them make a
        > movie on a chapter in the Silmarillion such as Beren and Luthien or my
        > personal favourite: Turin Turambar.
        > There are not as many characters and a filmmaker can do it without
        > losing Tolkien's feel.
        > There is my input for today
        > Ron

        David Lenander
        293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
        St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
        fax: (612)626-2454
        e-mail: d-lena@...

        Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
        http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
      • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
          David,
          Yes, feel free to foward my note to him. I do think he did a good job
          with the book.
          Ron