Re: Varied Subjects

  • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
      In a message dated 7/4/99 4:11:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, FrMacKen@...
      writes:

      > I bought a book several years ago that I still love today. As I recall it
      cost much for
      > the hardcover edition, but I think it has more than paid for itself for all
      the
      > interesting information it has between its covers.
      >
      > The book: The Annotated Hobbit annotated by Douglas A. Anderson. Simply, a
      > rare and wonderful find.

      I'm not quite so enthusiastic about the book as you are. What's there in the
      book is good, and I'm glad that Douglas it, but there's an awful lot of white
      space in the margins that could have been filled with more notes. In fact,
      about a year after the book came out, I wrote the book's publishers offering
      to co-author a second edition and suggested some further sorts of notes that
      could be added. They weren't interested, nor was Douglas when I talked to
      him at the 1992 Tolkien Centenary. (And, I should add, it may be true that I
      wouldn't have been capable of doing the new notes that I wanted, but I think
      that someone would have been.)

      > Concerning the movie: I would be greatly surprised if the movie based on
      the LOTR
      > is good. There are just too many characters involved in this book.
      Hollywood will
      > not do it justice. I would have rather see them make a movie on a chapter
      in the
      > Silmarillion such as Beren and Luthien or my personal favourite: Turin
      Turambar.

      > There are not as many characters and a filmmaker can do it without losing
      > Tolkien's feel.

      Come on, what are the chances that anyone in Hollywood will green-light a
      script that consists of a story taken out of _The Silmarillion_? Yes, it's
      true that a movie that would really do justice to _The Lord of the Rings_
      would have to be miniseries-length, but six to nine hours might be good
      enough for a trilogy of movies that gets across the main plot. Some nice
      subplots would have to be stripped out though.

      Wendell Wagner
    • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
        Wendell,
        I was speaking hypothetically about the Silmarillion. I know that
        Hollywood will not approve any script from said book. I meant that it would
        be easier to pick a story and to do that justice rather than a major
        undertaking such as the LOTR.
        Yours in cooperation.
        Ron
      • David Lenander
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
          Doug will be the guest of honor at Mythcon/Bree Moot this summer in Milwaukee.
          He'll be showing slides that I think were originally compiled in connection with
          doing the book, which I gather would be much longer, well, the annotations would
          be more extensive, were it being done today. Too bad if you can't make it.
          But, in case Doug is NOT on this list, may I forward your note to him?

          Responding to the message of <fae13590.24b119c3@...>
          from mythsoc@onelist.com:

          > From: FrMacKen@...
          >
          > Hello All;
          > I bought a book several years ago that I still love today. As I
          > recall it cost much for the hardcover edition, but I think it has more than
          > paid for itself for all the interesting information it has between its
          > covers.
          > The book: The Annotated Hobbit annotated by Douglas A. Anderson.
          > Simply, a rare and wonderful find.
          > Concerning the movie: I would be greatly surprised if the movie based
          > on the LOTR is good. There are just too many characters involved in this
          > book. Hollywood will not do it justice. I would have rather see them make a
          > movie on a chapter in the Silmarillion such as Beren and Luthien or my
          > personal favourite: Turin Turambar.
          > There are not as many characters and a filmmaker can do it without
          > losing Tolkien's feel.
          > There is my input for today
          > Ron

          David Lenander
          293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
          St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
          fax: (612)626-2454
          e-mail: d-lena@...

          Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
          http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
        • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
            David,
            Yes, feel free to foward my note to him. I do think he did a good job
            with the book.
            Ron