Re: [mythsoc] Ralf Isau & Neschan trilogy

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19, 2001
      Thank you for that information, Julia. I read German a little, and am
      faintly curious. But first I'd want to know if the books are good. A lot
      of enticing-looking fantasy books are not.

      One can also order the books online from the German Amazon site, www.amazon.de.

      David Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 2001
        In a message dated 4/19/01 2:13:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jupalffy@... writes:

        > He is bound
        > to his wheelchair and lives with his grandfather in the Jabbok family
        > .

        His last name is Jabbok and he's Scottish? (Note that neither he nor his
        family are recent immigrants to Scottish. There's a "family mansion".)
        O.K., a quick search showed that this is a Biblical reference. Jabbok is a
        river mentioned in the Bible. According to Genesis 32:22-24, this is where
        Jacob "wrestled with the Lord." Excuse my literal-mindedness, but these
        sorts of weird names play havoc with my suspension of disbelief.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2001
          O.K., what's going on here? Not only did it take over an hour for that
          message to get back to me after I sent it, but half the quotation was cut
          off. It should have said:

          > He is bound to his wheelchair and lives with his
          > grandfather in the Jabbok family mansion in the
          > Scottish Highlands.

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 2001
            We Jews are everywhere, even the mayor of Dublin, Ireland has
            been a Jew! Admittedly Jabbok is a weird name (I can't even find
            it in a rather extensive last name directory search), but I've
            lived with weirder names in fantasy stories. At least the name
            has some kind of meaning being Biblical and all. I'm sure the
            meaning relates to the story as so many fantasy names do.

            I definitely can live with it, but then again, I'm a Jew.

            Mythically yours,

            Lisa

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20, 2001
              In a message dated 4/20/01 12:24:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              lisa@... writes:

              > We Jews are everywhere, even the mayor of Dublin, Ireland has
              > been a Jew!

              Yes, I know that there have been several Jewish mayors of Dublin. That's in
              a city. We're apparently supposed to believe though that a family that has
              been in Scotland for centuries (they have a family mansion) has the last name
              Jabbok. Jabbok apparently isn't even a modern Jewish name. There are no
              Jabboks listed in any phone directory in the U.S. I can't come up with any
              Jabboks in a search engine either (other than references to the Biblical
              river).