Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 563

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 17, 2001
      Hey, this sounds like a job of one of our German speaking
      linguists. If the books are decent, could they be printed by the
      Mythopoeic Press? Or if they are current, may be Isau is looking
      for a larger publisher?

      Inquiring Jews want to know.

      Mythically yours

      Lisa

    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 20, 2001
        In a message dated 4/17/1 9:18:12 PM, Julia Palffy wrote:

        <<Since then I have wondered whether
        there are any other fantasy novels based on a religious conception of the
        world, taking place in an imaginary world, and related to other world
        religions than Christianity. >>

        Well, one of my favourite writers is Makhali-Phal, a Cambodian writer who
        wrote in French (primarily during the '40's), fantasies from a religious
        Buddhist point of view. Her main works in this vein are the novel _Narayana
        ou celui qui se meut sur les eaux_ and the story collection _Le Festin des
        vautours_. She has a very idiosyncratic style in French, extremely lush and
        full of sensuous imagery, and a very numinous, mythopoeic impact. At least
        this is how she affected me when I first read her in my teens -- around the
        same time I was discovering the Inklings, and she felt very much like the
        same kind of author to me.
        Alexei
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001
          Hmm..jumps out of the lurker shadows for a sec..
          The issue of Publisher's Weekly that arrived in my store this week had an article
          on SF, Fantasy , and Religion, which is online if you are curious at

          http://www.publishersweekly.com/index_articles/20010416_95214.asp

          Jumps back into the lurk mode...<g>
        • ted sherman
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001
            Thanks, Bill, for the link--very informative.

            Ted

            Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
            Mythopoeic Literature
            Associate Professor of English
            Murfreesboro, TN 37132
            615 898-5836 Office
            615 898-5098 FAX
            tsherman@... Office
            tedsherman@... Home

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001
              In a message dated 4/17/01 4:18:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
              jupalffy@... writes:

              > Since then I have wondered whether
              > there are any other fantasy novels based on a religious conception of the
              > world, taking place in an imaginary world, and related to other world
              > religions than Christianity.

              While there's not exactly an "imaginary world" involved, (there is a strange
              Island, however) the novel MISTRESS OF SPICES by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
              builds heavily on Hinduism.

              Mary S
            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001
                Bill wrote:

                > I can't recall if anyone has mentioned Zelazny as yet. LORD OF
                > LIGHT comes to mind immediately. ISLE OF THE DEAD as well, and
                > I can't recall the title of a third that makes use of the Egyptian
                > mythos.

                CREATURES OF LIGHT AND DARKNESS.

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001
                  I can't recall if anyone has mentioned Zelazny as yet. LORD OF LIGHT comes to mind
                  immediately. ISLE OF THE DEAD as well, and I can't recall the title of a third that
                  makes use of the Egyptian mythos.
                  By coincidence, I just finished a re-read of GOD STALK
                  by Hodgell, which concerns no rl religions but whose heroine
                  is involved with several confrontations in a city with a thousand
                  or so gods. (just ordered her third book, so I went back to
                  read the first two again).

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001
                    In a message dated 4/21/1 2:45:27 PM, Mary wrote:

                    <<While there's not exactly an "imaginary world" involved, (there is a
                    strange
                    Island, however) the novel MISTRESS OF SPICES by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
                    builds heavily on Hinduism.

                    Perhaps I don't remember it that well, but there didn't seem to be all that
                    much Hinduism in it, as opposed to Indian culture _per se_ (which, of course,
                    is going to be Hindu-flavoured to some extent). There were a lot of Muslim
                    and Sikh characters in it as well, so it seemed to me that the Hindu element
                    was deliberately played down in favour of the ambient folk culture
                    (represented by the spices and their magical properties) which all the
                    religious groups of India can identify with.
                    Alexei
                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001
                      Yessssss! Thanks!
                      <grin>

                    • alexeik@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001

                        <<I can't recall if anyone has mentioned Zelazny as yet. LORD OF LIGHT comes
                        to mind
                        immediately. ISLE OF THE DEAD as well, and I can't recall the title of a
                        third that
                        makes use of the Egyptian mythos.
                        By coincidence, I just finished a re-read of GOD STALK
                        by Hodgell, which concerns no rl religions but whose heroine
                        is involved with several confrontations in a city with a thousand
                        or so gods. (just ordered her third book, so I went back to
                        read the first two again).

                        In Zelazny's case, though, the author isn't writing from a religious point of
                        view, simply using a historical religion as a fantasy prop. The characters in
                        _Lord of Light_ play the roles of Hindu gods (and the Buddha), but there's
                        nothing about the story that's expressive of a Hindu or Buddhist sensibility.
                        And, of course, fantasy writers frequently invent religions for their fantasy
                        worlds -- which doesn't mean that they have faith in those religions in the
                        primary world. I think the original query referred to writers who were
                        applying their own faith-experience (in a religion other than Christianity)
                        in a literary fantasy context.
                        Alexei
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 21, 2001
                          In a message dated 4/21/01 12:23:53 PM Central Daylight Time, alexeik@...
                          writes:

                          > There were a lot of Muslim
                          > and Sikh characters in it as well, so it seemed to me that the Hindu
                          element

                          > was deliberately played down in favour of the ambient folk culture
                          > (represented by the spices and their magical properties) which all the
                          > religious groups of India can identify with.

                          I stand corrected - Alexei is right!

                          Mary S
                        • Steve Dufour
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 23, 2001
                            I don't have a copy of "The Worm Oruborus" and I can't
                            find it in any of our local libraries. (I also might
                            not be spelling "Oruborus" right.) But there are two
                            poems in it, one starts "You curious chanters of the
                            woods" the other "Not he who can love only the fair."
                            If someone could post the text of these and also the
                            original authors I would be grateful. Thanks. Steve
                            Dufour

                            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                          • Trudy Shaw
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 23, 2001
                              I have this book in paperback somewhere in my apartment. People who've asked to borrow things from me know this is akin to saying, "There's a piece of lint somewhere in this ragbag." I've just taken a quick look in the most likely places and haven't found it yet.

                              But--I'll keep your message in my inbox, and will keep looking. I have a meeting coming up this weekend for which I've got lots of preparation to do. If no one posts the poems by the time that meeting's over I'll do an all-out search. It'll give me a good incentive to actually try to get my books organized.

                              If anyone else has the poems, though, _by all means_ pass them on--the fact that I'm going to look is no guarantee I'll find the book (and certainly no guarantee that I'll find it _soon_).

                              -- Trudy Shaw

                              I don't have a copy of "The Worm Oruborus" and I can't
                              find it in any of our local libraries. (I also might
                              not be spelling "Oruborus" right.) But there are two
                              poems in it, one starts "You curious chanters of the
                              woods" the other "Not he who can love only the fair."
                              If someone could post the text of these and also the
                              original authors I would be grateful. Thanks. Steve
                              Dufour

                              http://auctions.yahoo.com/

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • Bill
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 24, 2001
                                Hmm..don't have my copy handy and at 3am I don't think my
                                neighbors would appreciate a typical rendering of my search
                                every nook and cranny of the place routine...but...,
                                this may one of the two you are looking for...
                                (Gawd I love Google)

                                Sir Henry Wotton

                                21. On his Mistris, the Queen of Bohemia

                                YOU meaner Beauties of the Night,

                                That poorly satisfie our Eies

                                More by your number, then your light,

                                You Common-people of the Skies;

                                What are you when the Sun shall rise?

                                You Curious Chanters of the Wood,

                                That warble forth Dame Natures layes,

                                Thinking your Voyces understood

                                By your weake accents; what's your praise

                                When Philomell her voyce shal raise?

                                You Violets, that first apeare,

                                By your pure purpel mantels knowne,

                                Like the proud Virgins of the yeare,

                                As if the Spring were all your own;

                                What are you when the Rose is blowne?

                                So, when my Mistris shal be seene

                                In Form and Beauty of her mind,

                                By Vertue first, then Choyce a Queen,

                                Tell me, if she were not design'd

                                Th' Eclypse and Glory of her kind?

                              • Steve Dufour
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 24, 2001
                                  Thank you so much, Bill. That's great. Steve ---
                                  Bill <lunacy@...> wrote: > Hmm..don't have my
                                  copy handy and at 3am I > don't think my >
                                  neighbors would appreciate a typical rendering > of my
                                  search > every nook and cranny of the place >
                                  routine...but..., > this may one of the two you
                                  are looking for... > (Gawd I love Google) > >
                                  Sir > Henry
                                  Wotton > > 21. On his Mistris,
                                  the Queen > of Bohemia > > >
                                  YOU meaner Beauties of > the Night, > >
                                  That poorly satisfie our > Eies > >
                                  More by your number, then >
                                  your light, > > You
                                  Common-people of the > Skies; > >
                                  What are you when the > Sun shall rise? > >
                                  > You Curious Chanters
                                  of > the Wood, > > That
                                  warble forth Dame > Natures layes, > >
                                  Thinking your Voyces > understood > >
                                  By your weake accents; > what's
                                  your praise > > When
                                  Philomell her > voyce shal raise? > > >
                                  You Violets, that first > apeare, > >
                                  By your pure purpel > mantels
                                  knowne, > > Like the proud
                                  Virgins of > the yeare, > >
                                  As if the Spring were all > your own; > >
                                  What are you when the > Rose is
                                  blowne? > > > So, when my
                                  Mistris shal > be seene > >
                                  In Form and Beauty of her > mind, > >
                                  By Vertue first, then > Choyce a Queen, >
                                  > Tell me, if she were
                                  not > design'd > > Th'
                                  Eclypse and Glory > of her kind? > > > > > >
                                  [Non-text portions of this message have been >
                                  removed] > >

                                  http://auctions.yahoo.com/