Re: [mythsoc] Re: CS Lewis in Christianity Today

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 16, 2001
      Afraid I've deleted many of the beginning posts in this thread, so I can't go back and see exactly what everyone said. I do remember it started with a notice of an article on CS Lewis in the Chrisianity Today magazine. As a decidedly non-Evangelical Christian, that's not a magazine I read, but I appreciated the notice--I'd also appreciate a notice if there were an article on Tolkien in a New Age magazine, or on Charles Williams in a secular poetry review, etc. I wouldn't want to miss knowing about them because the person who found them is afraid to offend someone on the list. (I don't think anyone who's been posting on this has suggested or even implied that such notices should be avoided. I'm just trying to clarify things in my own muddled mind.) I was even interested to find out what the article's author had said about Lewis, although I didn't agree with most of it.

      I do think there needs to be a clear distinction made between commenting on the effects of the authors' religious beliefs on their writing (hard to avoid wtih the particular authors being discussed on this list) and proselytizing/aplogetics for the poster's own particular bent. The latter would certainly include "talking down" anyone else's beliefs or--even more aggravating--talking down _to_ those who disagree.

      I'd feel this way even if everyone on the list were of the same exact religious group of whatever kind. Just because a group is "talking amongst themselves" is no excuse to downgrade others--in fact, that's probably when we have to be most wary of bigotry.

      --Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 17, 2001
        Berni Phillips wrote:

        > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or
        > whatever you may
        > happen to be celebrating this weekend!
        >
        > Berni
        >
        > *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say
        > "Passover."

        You got it right, Berni.

        Sorry this is late, but I'm just recovering from holding a Seder
        with all the trimmings this April 14, which included Berni's
        beloved David. The baked aspergrass was excellent by the way.

        Plus, my daughter just had son # 3, Jonathan Patrick on April 4
        (yes, he was at the Seder). Mom & little guy are doing fine.

        Needless to say, I'm still catching up on the world.

        Mythically yours,

        Lisa
      • Paul F. Labaki
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
          Ted,

          I apologize if this is eroneosly sent to you, but, if so, I'm hoping the
          correct person sees it on the list: With issue #86 of mailings I received a
          notice saying fyi 'your publication subscriptions are as follows: Mythlore
          (current issue #86) expires with issue #90.' The last issue I received was
          #87. To whom should I write about this?

          I confess to being two weeks behind in email, I've been out of cyberspace
          for a while. It's nice out there.

          Peace,
          Paul Labaki

        • ted sherman
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
            Paul,

            Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
            agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
            before May 15. My apologies for the delay.

            Yours,

            Ted
            ------------------------------
            Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
            tsherman@... Office
            tedsherman@... Home

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 30 , May 22, 2001
              Thank you so much, Ted. I didn't mean to press you; I greatly appreciate
              the effort and devotion you so obviously give to Mythlore and the Society.

              Peace,
              Paul Labaki
              Living (in cyberspace) a couple weeks behind the times.

              > From: "ted sherman" <tedsherman@...>
              > Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:35:20 -0500
              > To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] CS Lewis in Christianity Today
              >
              > Paul,
              >
              > Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
              > agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
              > before May 15. My apologies for the delay.
              >
              > Yours,
              >
              > Ted
              > ------------------------------
              > Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
              > Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and
              > Mythopoeic Literature
              > Associate Professor of English
              > Box X041, Middle Tennessee State University
              > Murfreesboro, TN 37132
              > 615 898-5836 Office
              > 615 898-5098 FAX
              > tsherman@... Office
              > tedsherman@... Home

              >>> 615 898-5098 FAX

              Message 6 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                You're welcome, Paul. And you weren't pressing. I hope you enjoy Issue 88.

                Ted