Re: [mythsoc] Re: CS Lewis in Christianity Today

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
      From: <WendellWag@...>

      > jstevens@... writes:
      >
      > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
      > > Catholic in the last few years.
      >
      > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one
      in
      > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
      > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
      > Catholics? I'm confused.

      I'm confused by the term Marion Catholic, too, but I can tell you about the
      Marianists (since they run my parish). The Marianists are the members of
      the Society of Mary, a religious order of priests and brothers founded in
      France after the French Revolution (hence the equality of the priests and
      brothers, unusual in older religious orders) by Blessed William Chaminade.
      They are a teaching order who run various high schools and universities.
      They are called Marianists just as Society of Jesus members are called
      Jesuits.

      (Catholic trivia continued: their motto is "to Jesus through Mary," and
      their emblem has the words "Do whatever He tells you," referencing the
      wedding feast at Cana.)

      Berni
    • jstevens@pullman.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
        > In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > jstevens@... writes:
        >
        > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
        > > Catholic in the last few years.
        >
        > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
        > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
        > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
        > Catholics? I'm confused.

        Honestly, so I am now that I think about it; I apologize for any confusion. It
        was from a bit in "Calling down the Moon." The person in question was very into
        the Goddess as a neo-pagan; he later became a Catholic because of his interest
        in the Virgin Mary; I don't know if he would be called a "Christian" in all
        circles. I called him a Marion Catholic because of his focus on Mary, but I see
        now that was confusing and misleading!

        I noted because I found it quite interesting that one could start in one
        direction, be led to another, and arrive at still another (possibly the same
        that one started at). Sort of like the Pilgims' Regress.

        -
        Jen

        http://www.fsr.net/
      • jstevens@pullman.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001

          > From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>

          > > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
          > without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
          > > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
          > Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
          > > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
          > the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

          Quite all right :)

          > > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
          > always makes conversation more interesting.

          Yes. It'd be so boring if everyone agreed with everyone! Like I said, I really
          do enjoy the conversations here!

          > I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
          > Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
          > Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
          > Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is).

          Ooh. I love that. Darn. Now I really wish I'd gone to the Lewis Centenary! I
          think my excuse was school-induced poverty...

          > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
          > happen to be celebrating this weekend!

          Merry Easter!

          -
          Jen

          http://www.fsr.net/
        • Trudy Shaw
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 16, 2001
            Afraid I've deleted many of the beginning posts in this thread, so I can't go back and see exactly what everyone said. I do remember it started with a notice of an article on CS Lewis in the Chrisianity Today magazine. As a decidedly non-Evangelical Christian, that's not a magazine I read, but I appreciated the notice--I'd also appreciate a notice if there were an article on Tolkien in a New Age magazine, or on Charles Williams in a secular poetry review, etc. I wouldn't want to miss knowing about them because the person who found them is afraid to offend someone on the list. (I don't think anyone who's been posting on this has suggested or even implied that such notices should be avoided. I'm just trying to clarify things in my own muddled mind.) I was even interested to find out what the article's author had said about Lewis, although I didn't agree with most of it.

            I do think there needs to be a clear distinction made between commenting on the effects of the authors' religious beliefs on their writing (hard to avoid wtih the particular authors being discussed on this list) and proselytizing/aplogetics for the poster's own particular bent. The latter would certainly include "talking down" anyone else's beliefs or--even more aggravating--talking down _to_ those who disagree.

            I'd feel this way even if everyone on the list were of the same exact religious group of whatever kind. Just because a group is "talking amongst themselves" is no excuse to downgrade others--in fact, that's probably when we have to be most wary of bigotry.

            --Trudy Shaw
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 17, 2001
              Berni Phillips wrote:

              > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or
              > whatever you may
              > happen to be celebrating this weekend!
              >
              > Berni
              >
              > *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say
              > "Passover."

              You got it right, Berni.

              Sorry this is late, but I'm just recovering from holding a Seder
              with all the trimmings this April 14, which included Berni's
              beloved David. The baked aspergrass was excellent by the way.

              Plus, my daughter just had son # 3, Jonathan Patrick on April 4
              (yes, he was at the Seder). Mom & little guy are doing fine.

              Needless to say, I'm still catching up on the world.

              Mythically yours,

              Lisa
            • Paul F. Labaki
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                Ted,

                I apologize if this is eroneosly sent to you, but, if so, I'm hoping the
                correct person sees it on the list: With issue #86 of mailings I received a
                notice saying fyi 'your publication subscriptions are as follows: Mythlore
                (current issue #86) expires with issue #90.' The last issue I received was
                #87. To whom should I write about this?

                I confess to being two weeks behind in email, I've been out of cyberspace
                for a while. It's nice out there.

                Peace,
                Paul Labaki

              • ted sherman
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                  Paul,

                  Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
                  agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
                  before May 15. My apologies for the delay.

                  Yours,

                  Ted
                  ------------------------------
                  Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                  tsherman@... Office
                  tedsherman@... Home

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                    Thank you so much, Ted. I didn't mean to press you; I greatly appreciate
                    the effort and devotion you so obviously give to Mythlore and the Society.

                    Peace,
                    Paul Labaki
                    Living (in cyberspace) a couple weeks behind the times.

                    > From: "ted sherman" <tedsherman@...>
                    > Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:35:20 -0500
                    > To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] CS Lewis in Christianity Today
                    >
                    > Paul,
                    >
                    > Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
                    > agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
                    > before May 15. My apologies for the delay.
                    >
                    > Yours,
                    >
                    > Ted
                    > ------------------------------
                    > Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                    > Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and
                    > Mythopoeic Literature
                    > Associate Professor of English
                    > Box X041, Middle Tennessee State University
                    > Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                    > 615 898-5836 Office
                    > 615 898-5098 FAX
                    > tsherman@... Office
                    > tedsherman@... Home

                    >>> 615 898-5098 FAX

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                      You're welcome, Paul. And you weren't pressing. I hope you enjoy Issue 88.

                      Ted