Re: [mythsoc] Re: CS Lewis in Christianity Today

  • jen stevens
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
      At 08:07 AM 4/13/2001 EDT, you wrote:
      >In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      >jstevens@... writes:
      >
      ><< I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
      >Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
      >religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
      >Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>
      >
      >I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
      >"remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
      >not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
      >where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion
      of
      >this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
      >who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
      >fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

      No need to apologize Lizzie :) I just saw it as an opportunity to mention
      that there are indeed non-Christian folks out here in Email Land that read
      Lewis (or at least one folk anyway!) I see a lot of threads that implicitly
      assume the audience is all Christian. It's quite natural and easy to forget
      that in a list devoted to Lewis and Lewis type writers. If the list would
      prefer to assume such in a more formal manner, works for me. I tend to be a
      minority in either the "secular" or "Lewis" camp anyway. Or we could say
      that there is a dynamic opposition between the "Christian" aspects and the
      "fantasy" aspects and happily problemetize away! (not that Lewis saw any
      such contradiction of course!)

      Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
      Catholic in the last few years. So indeed, one never knows where reading
      will take one! I'm not done with this journey yet!

      - Jen
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
        Hi, Jen!

        Jen Stevens wrote:

        > I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
        > Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
        > religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
        > Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.

        I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
        one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
        would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

        It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That always makes conversation more interesting.

        --
        David J. Finnamore
        Nashville, TN, USA
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
          In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          jstevens@... writes:

          > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
          > Catholic in the last few years.

          So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
          Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
          called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
          Catholics? I'm confused.

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
            From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>
            > Jen Stevens wrote:
            >
            > > I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list
            are
            > > Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
            > > religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
            > > Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.
            >
            > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
            without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
            > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
            Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
            > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
            the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

            > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
            always makes conversation more interesting.

            I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
            Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
            Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
            Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is). Someone else
            sniffed at that suggestion, stating that she was an athiest so it didn't
            include her. And my best beloved and some of the others are Jewish, so we
            really are a mixed lot here. Even among the Christians, we're evangelical
            and Roman Catholic, Unitarian and Orthodox, etc.

            So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
            happen to be celebrating this weekend!

            Berni

            *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say "Passover."
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
              From: <WendellWag@...>

              > jstevens@... writes:
              >
              > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
              > > Catholic in the last few years.
              >
              > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one
              in
              > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
              > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
              > Catholics? I'm confused.

              I'm confused by the term Marion Catholic, too, but I can tell you about the
              Marianists (since they run my parish). The Marianists are the members of
              the Society of Mary, a religious order of priests and brothers founded in
              France after the French Revolution (hence the equality of the priests and
              brothers, unusual in older religious orders) by Blessed William Chaminade.
              They are a teaching order who run various high schools and universities.
              They are called Marianists just as Society of Jesus members are called
              Jesuits.

              (Catholic trivia continued: their motto is "to Jesus through Mary," and
              their emblem has the words "Do whatever He tells you," referencing the
              wedding feast at Cana.)

              Berni
            • jstevens@pullman.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                > In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                > jstevens@... writes:
                >
                > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                > > Catholic in the last few years.
                >
                > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
                > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                > Catholics? I'm confused.

                Honestly, so I am now that I think about it; I apologize for any confusion. It
                was from a bit in "Calling down the Moon." The person in question was very into
                the Goddess as a neo-pagan; he later became a Catholic because of his interest
                in the Virgin Mary; I don't know if he would be called a "Christian" in all
                circles. I called him a Marion Catholic because of his focus on Mary, but I see
                now that was confusing and misleading!

                I noted because I found it quite interesting that one could start in one
                direction, be led to another, and arrive at still another (possibly the same
                that one started at). Sort of like the Pilgims' Regress.

                -
                Jen

                http://www.fsr.net/
              • jstevens@pullman.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001

                  > From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>

                  > > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
                  > without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                  > > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
                  > Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                  > > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
                  > the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                  Quite all right :)

                  > > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
                  > always makes conversation more interesting.

                  Yes. It'd be so boring if everyone agreed with everyone! Like I said, I really
                  do enjoy the conversations here!

                  > I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
                  > Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
                  > Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
                  > Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is).

                  Ooh. I love that. Darn. Now I really wish I'd gone to the Lewis Centenary! I
                  think my excuse was school-induced poverty...

                  > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
                  > happen to be celebrating this weekend!

                  Merry Easter!

                  -
                  Jen

                  http://www.fsr.net/
                • Trudy Shaw
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 16, 2001
                    Afraid I've deleted many of the beginning posts in this thread, so I can't go back and see exactly what everyone said. I do remember it started with a notice of an article on CS Lewis in the Chrisianity Today magazine. As a decidedly non-Evangelical Christian, that's not a magazine I read, but I appreciated the notice--I'd also appreciate a notice if there were an article on Tolkien in a New Age magazine, or on Charles Williams in a secular poetry review, etc. I wouldn't want to miss knowing about them because the person who found them is afraid to offend someone on the list. (I don't think anyone who's been posting on this has suggested or even implied that such notices should be avoided. I'm just trying to clarify things in my own muddled mind.) I was even interested to find out what the article's author had said about Lewis, although I didn't agree with most of it.

                    I do think there needs to be a clear distinction made between commenting on the effects of the authors' religious beliefs on their writing (hard to avoid wtih the particular authors being discussed on this list) and proselytizing/aplogetics for the poster's own particular bent. The latter would certainly include "talking down" anyone else's beliefs or--even more aggravating--talking down _to_ those who disagree.

                    I'd feel this way even if everyone on the list were of the same exact religious group of whatever kind. Just because a group is "talking amongst themselves" is no excuse to downgrade others--in fact, that's probably when we have to be most wary of bigotry.

                    --Trudy Shaw
                    >In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    >jstevens@... writes:
                    >
                    ><< I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                    >Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                    >religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                    >Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>
                    >
                    >I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                    >"remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                    >not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                    >where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion
                    of
                    >this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                    >who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                    >fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                    No need to apologize Lizzie :) I just saw it as an opportunity to mention
                    that there are indeed non-Christian folks out here in Email Land that read
                    Lewis (or at least one folk anyway!) I see a lot of threads that implicitly
                    assume the audience is all Christian. It's quite natural and easy to forget
                    that in a list devoted to Lewis and Lewis type writers. If the list would
                    prefer to assume such in a more formal manner, works for me. I tend to be a
                    minority in either the "secular" or "Lewis" camp anyway. Or we could say
                    that there is a dynamic opposition between the "Christian" aspects and the
                    "fantasy" aspects and happily problemetize away! (not that Lewis saw any
                    such contradiction of course!)

                    Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                    Catholic in the last few years. So indeed, one never knows where reading
                    will take one! I'm not done with this journey yet!

                    - Jen

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 17, 2001
                      Berni Phillips wrote:

                      > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or
                      > whatever you may
                      > happen to be celebrating this weekend!
                      >
                      > Berni
                      >
                      > *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say
                      > "Passover."

                      You got it right, Berni.

                      Sorry this is late, but I'm just recovering from holding a Seder
                      with all the trimmings this April 14, which included Berni's
                      beloved David. The baked aspergrass was excellent by the way.

                      Plus, my daughter just had son # 3, Jonathan Patrick on April 4
                      (yes, he was at the Seder). Mom & little guy are doing fine.

                      Needless to say, I'm still catching up on the world.

                      Mythically yours,

                      Lisa
                    • Paul F. Labaki
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                        Ted,

                        I apologize if this is eroneosly sent to you, but, if so, I'm hoping the
                        correct person sees it on the list: With issue #86 of mailings I received a
                        notice saying fyi 'your publication subscriptions are as follows: Mythlore
                        (current issue #86) expires with issue #90.' The last issue I received was
                        #87. To whom should I write about this?

                        I confess to being two weeks behind in email, I've been out of cyberspace
                        for a while. It's nice out there.

                        Peace,
                        Paul Labaki

                      • ted sherman
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                          Paul,

                          Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
                          agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
                          before May 15. My apologies for the delay.

                          Yours,

                          Ted
                          ------------------------------
                          Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                          tsherman@... Office
                          tedsherman@... Home

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                            Thank you so much, Ted. I didn't mean to press you; I greatly appreciate
                            the effort and devotion you so obviously give to Mythlore and the Society.

                            Peace,
                            Paul Labaki
                            Living (in cyberspace) a couple weeks behind the times.

                            > From: "ted sherman" <tedsherman@...>
                            > Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:35:20 -0500
                            > To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
                            > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] CS Lewis in Christianity Today
                            >
                            > Paul,
                            >
                            > Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
                            > agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
                            > before May 15. My apologies for the delay.
                            >
                            > Yours,
                            >
                            > Ted
                            > ------------------------------
                            > Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                            > Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and
                            > Mythopoeic Literature
                            > Associate Professor of English
                            > Box X041, Middle Tennessee State University
                            > Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                            > 615 898-5836 Office
                            > 615 898-5098 FAX
                            > tsherman@... Office
                            > tedsherman@... Home

                            >>> 615 898-5098 FAX

                            Message 13 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                              You're welcome, Paul. And you weren't pressing. I hope you enjoy Issue 88.

                              Ted