Re: [mythsoc] Re: CS Lewis in Christianity Today

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
      I've been thinking about Wendell's post, wondering what to say. I don't know Lou Markos (never having met him), but he and I have
      corresponded quite a bit about his Mythlore article. It seems to me, Wendell, that you have rather maligned Markos with your comments
      below, yet you don't give any reasons or evidence for your offhand dismissal of the course. I understand that you're working on a review
      for Mythprint, but, again as I see it, you now either need to substantiate your comments below or apologize publicly. I don't mean to be a
      wet blanket or anything, but I just hate to see someone's reputation (based upon material they have produced) sullied without supporting
      reasons.

      Ted
      "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

      > Wendell Wagner wrote:
      >
      > > I've messed around about writing the review of his tape, partly because it's
      > > not going to be easy to write. He seems like a very nice guy, but it's not a
      > > good course. It's the poorest of the 20 or so courses I've listened to from
      > > The Great Courses on Tape.
      >
      > That's too bad. The article in Christianity Today is excellent, IMO. It's one
      > I'll be re-reading many times. The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
      > Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics, but of how
      > to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to Naturalism. A
      > recurring theme is that Christians fail to reach post-modern culture, not because
      > we don't understand apologetics, but because we ourselves too often implicitly
      > accept the Enlightenment assumptions underlying post-modernism. (Told you it
      > reminded me of Mars Hill! :-) Another recurring theme in it is the relationship
      > between art and the Incarnation of Christ. A lot to think about.
      >
      > --
      > David J. Finnamore
      > Nashville, TN, USA
      > http://personal.bna.bellsouth.net/bna/d/f/dfin/index.html
      > --

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836 Office
      615 898-5098 FAX
      tsherman@...
    • jen stevens
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
        At 06:19 PM 4/12/2001 EDT, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
        >In a message dated 04/12/01 5:48:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        >daeron@... writes:
        >
        ><< The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
        > Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics,
        but
        >of how
        > to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to
        >Naturalism. >>
        >
        >I should dig up a copy, ha ha. Add to the list of wishful thinking.
        >Neo-paganism and agnosticism or even atheism are the real dangers in today's
        >age of exploring various spiritualities and religions. I mean, to those who
        >would like to be religious, acknowledging here that not everyone on this
        list
        >subscribes to the Christianity aspect of the mythopoeic/Inkling hobby.

        Such as I. I was raised Evangelical Christian on a heavy diet of C.S.
        Lewis. Mr. Lewis and his friend Mr. Tolkien led me to an interest in
        academia and literature. Which to a large extent, led me to losing my faith
        whilst reading biblical criticism and post-modern theory; I haven't yet
        figured out what to find instead (I do wonder what Mr. Lewis would make of
        that :) I still love Lewis' and Tolkien's books and happily collect old
        hardback editions of them. I attended the Tolkien Centuary Conference at
        Oxford in the early 90's, wrote my undergraduate honor's thesis on
        narrative structure in LoTR, and am now trying to write a paper on an
        aspect of the Narnia books. I have long striven to work on both my
        scholarly and "creative" endeavors in the manner that Lewis and Tolkien
        did. Someday I will write those novels (and someday I will finish my Lewis
        paper!) I am a happy Unitarian-Universalist. And although neo-paganism
        doesn't work for me, I don't find it at all dangerous.

        I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
        Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
        religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
        Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.

        thanks!!

        - Jen, who is still amazed that she had to explain the crucifixion to her
        freshman English class when we read Flannery O'Conner......
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
          In a message dated 4/12/01 7:32:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          tedsherman@... writes:

          > It seems to me, Wendell, that you have rather maligned Markos with your
          > comments
          > below, yet you don't give any reasons or evidence for your offhand
          > dismissal of the course.

          I'm going to go ahead now and write that review and post it (or at least a
          summary of it) within the next few days in order to give my reasons.
          "Maligned" strikes me as a rather strong way to put my objections. I'm not
          accusing him of any moral faults. "Offhand" isn't a term I'd use for my
          objections either. I've listened to the entire course twice so far and I
          plan to listen to it a third time on a tape player when I can start and stop
          it at will, marking down my comments as I go.

          When I call it "not a good course," I'm comparing it to the level of courses
          I expect in The Great Courses on Tape, where course sets cost about $10 to
          $14 per hour's worth of lecture. I expect them to be better than average
          courses in their subject. Most of them are. If I were to compare Markos's
          course with an average course at most colleges, it's no better or worse than
          most.

          He's so enthusiastic in his presentation that I wish I could praise the
          course more. Unfortunately, I don't think he's made a good choice of topics
          to discuss about Lewis. At times, he doesn't know Lewis's works quite as
          well as he should. At times he drifts off the subject of Lewis's works and
          seems to be just discussing his own ideas. He spends too much time on
          certain things and neglects others. At times his enthusiasm leads to an
          exaggerations about Lewis that I suspect would turn off someone new to
          Lewis's works. But all this is just an outline of my objections. I'll be
          writing a full review in a few days.

          If I wanted to malign someone, I'd malign the people at The Teaching Company
          (which produces The Great Courses on Tape). Their publicity more or less
          claims that they only offer the best course offered anywhere in the U.S. on a
          particular subject, as if they had people flying around the country recording
          lectures by many different professors before choosing the one that's the best
          for that subject. In fact, they operate in a much more haphazard fashion,
          getting recommendations from customers and occasionally flying in professors
          to test their lecturing styles. In some cases when they have already done
          one series with a professor, they ask him if he has any other courses he'd
          like to do.

          That's what happened in this case. Markos isn't even a Lewis scholar. His
          specialty is the Romantic poets. He'd already done a course in literary
          criticism and several lectures in another huge course on the Western
          intellectual thought when he suggested to them that he do this Lewis course.
          He'd never done a course in Lewis at his college. I object to this course
          not because it's terrible (it's certainly not terrible) but because I think
          they could have found a better course on Lewis somewhere than this. Why
          didn't they check out Diana Glyer speaking on Lewis, or Joe Christopher, or
          Ted Sherman?

        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
            I owe you an apology, Wendell. My message last evening was poorly worded, because
            of a rush to get it out before heading off to church. My intent was simply to ask
            you to support your assertion that Markos's course was poor with some clear facts
            and or reasons. I think you owe it to him to do so since he isn't here to defend
            himself and for sheer honesty's sake. Thanks for your lengthy post and I look
            forward to your review. (Of course, if you wanted to submit your review to
            Mythlore, you are more than welcome.)

            Ted

          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
              In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              jstevens@... writes:

              << I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
              Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
              religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
              Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>

              I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
              "remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
              not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
              where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion of
              this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
              who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
              fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

              Lizzie
            • Matthew S Winslow
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:19:49 EDT ERATRIANO@... writes:
                > BTW Who or what is Mars Hill?

                OK, I was avoiding bringing this up on-list since Mars Hill usually is
                not at all applicable, but, lo and behold, I rec'd the most recent issue
                yesterday, and the final interview is with Ralph Wood on 'the peculiar
                heroism of Frodo Baggins of Bag End,' so it's probably safe to at least
                give a quick blurb now <g>.

                Mars Hill Audio Journal is a bi-monthly tape series produced by Ken
                Myers, formerly of NPR. Each issue is 90 minutes long (tape or CD) and
                contains 7 to 11 interviews with leading thinkers today. The series' aim
                is to look at modern (or rather, postmodern) culture from the framework
                of Christian conviction. Mars Hill Audio is nondenominational, covering
                such diverse issues as the Pope's ideas of human embodiment (a recent
                interview with George Weigel, the Pope's biographer) to the
                character-building virtues of farmers (from an interview with Victor
                Davis Hanson).

                More information can be found at www.marshillaudio.org.

                BTW, I haven't listened to the Wood interview yet -- still working my way
                through this issue.

                Matt Currently Reading: Scaramouche by Rafael
                Sabatini

                "Sometimes I think a lot of disputes between people could be solved if
                everybody had
                to wear a lapel pin showing what they looked like as children. That way,
                you'd kind
                of feel sorry for them."--Chris Ware
                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              • jen stevens
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                  At 08:07 AM 4/13/2001 EDT, you wrote:
                  >In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  >jstevens@... writes:
                  >
                  ><< I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                  >Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                  >religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                  >Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>
                  >
                  >I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                  >"remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                  >not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                  >where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion
                  of
                  >this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                  >who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                  >fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                  No need to apologize Lizzie :) I just saw it as an opportunity to mention
                  that there are indeed non-Christian folks out here in Email Land that read
                  Lewis (or at least one folk anyway!) I see a lot of threads that implicitly
                  assume the audience is all Christian. It's quite natural and easy to forget
                  that in a list devoted to Lewis and Lewis type writers. If the list would
                  prefer to assume such in a more formal manner, works for me. I tend to be a
                  minority in either the "secular" or "Lewis" camp anyway. Or we could say
                  that there is a dynamic opposition between the "Christian" aspects and the
                  "fantasy" aspects and happily problemetize away! (not that Lewis saw any
                  such contradiction of course!)

                  Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                  Catholic in the last few years. So indeed, one never knows where reading
                  will take one! I'm not done with this journey yet!

                  - Jen
                • David J. Finnamore
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                    Hi, Jen!

                    Jen Stevens wrote:

                    > I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                    > Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                    > religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                    > Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.

                    I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                    one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                    would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                    It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That always makes conversation more interesting.

                    --
                    David J. Finnamore
                    Nashville, TN, USA
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                      In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      jstevens@... writes:

                      > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                      > Catholic in the last few years.

                      So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
                      Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                      called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                      Catholics? I'm confused.

                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                        From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>
                        > Jen Stevens wrote:
                        >
                        > > I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list
                        are
                        > > Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                        > > religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                        > > Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.
                        >
                        > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
                        without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                        > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
                        Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                        > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
                        the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                        > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
                        always makes conversation more interesting.

                        I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
                        Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
                        Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
                        Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is). Someone else
                        sniffed at that suggestion, stating that she was an athiest so it didn't
                        include her. And my best beloved and some of the others are Jewish, so we
                        really are a mixed lot here. Even among the Christians, we're evangelical
                        and Roman Catholic, Unitarian and Orthodox, etc.

                        So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
                        happen to be celebrating this weekend!

                        Berni

                        *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say "Passover."
                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                          From: <WendellWag@...>

                          > jstevens@... writes:
                          >
                          > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                          > > Catholic in the last few years.
                          >
                          > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one
                          in
                          > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                          > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                          > Catholics? I'm confused.

                          I'm confused by the term Marion Catholic, too, but I can tell you about the
                          Marianists (since they run my parish). The Marianists are the members of
                          the Society of Mary, a religious order of priests and brothers founded in
                          France after the French Revolution (hence the equality of the priests and
                          brothers, unusual in older religious orders) by Blessed William Chaminade.
                          They are a teaching order who run various high schools and universities.
                          They are called Marianists just as Society of Jesus members are called
                          Jesuits.

                          (Catholic trivia continued: their motto is "to Jesus through Mary," and
                          their emblem has the words "Do whatever He tells you," referencing the
                          wedding feast at Cana.)

                          Berni
                        • jstevens@pullman.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                            > In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            > jstevens@... writes:
                            >
                            > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                            > > Catholic in the last few years.
                            >
                            > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
                            > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                            > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                            > Catholics? I'm confused.

                            Honestly, so I am now that I think about it; I apologize for any confusion. It
                            was from a bit in "Calling down the Moon." The person in question was very into
                            the Goddess as a neo-pagan; he later became a Catholic because of his interest
                            in the Virgin Mary; I don't know if he would be called a "Christian" in all
                            circles. I called him a Marion Catholic because of his focus on Mary, but I see
                            now that was confusing and misleading!

                            I noted because I found it quite interesting that one could start in one
                            direction, be led to another, and arrive at still another (possibly the same
                            that one started at). Sort of like the Pilgims' Regress.

                            -
                            Jen

                            http://www.fsr.net/
                          • jstevens@pullman.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001

                              > From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>

                              > > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
                              > without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                              > > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
                              > Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                              > > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
                              > the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                              Quite all right :)

                              > > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
                              > always makes conversation more interesting.

                              Yes. It'd be so boring if everyone agreed with everyone! Like I said, I really
                              do enjoy the conversations here!

                              > I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
                              > Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
                              > Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
                              > Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is).

                              Ooh. I love that. Darn. Now I really wish I'd gone to the Lewis Centenary! I
                              think my excuse was school-induced poverty...

                              > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
                              > happen to be celebrating this weekend!

                              Merry Easter!

                              -
                              Jen

                              http://www.fsr.net/
                            • Trudy Shaw
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 16, 2001
                                Afraid I've deleted many of the beginning posts in this thread, so I can't go back and see exactly what everyone said. I do remember it started with a notice of an article on CS Lewis in the Chrisianity Today magazine. As a decidedly non-Evangelical Christian, that's not a magazine I read, but I appreciated the notice--I'd also appreciate a notice if there were an article on Tolkien in a New Age magazine, or on Charles Williams in a secular poetry review, etc. I wouldn't want to miss knowing about them because the person who found them is afraid to offend someone on the list. (I don't think anyone who's been posting on this has suggested or even implied that such notices should be avoided. I'm just trying to clarify things in my own muddled mind.) I was even interested to find out what the article's author had said about Lewis, although I didn't agree with most of it.

                                I do think there needs to be a clear distinction made between commenting on the effects of the authors' religious beliefs on their writing (hard to avoid wtih the particular authors being discussed on this list) and proselytizing/aplogetics for the poster's own particular bent. The latter would certainly include "talking down" anyone else's beliefs or--even more aggravating--talking down _to_ those who disagree.

                                I'd feel this way even if everyone on the list were of the same exact religious group of whatever kind. Just because a group is "talking amongst themselves" is no excuse to downgrade others--in fact, that's probably when we have to be most wary of bigotry.

                                --Trudy Shaw
                                >In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                >jstevens@... writes:
                                >
                                ><< I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                                >Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                                >religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                                >Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>
                                >
                                >I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                                >"remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                                >not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                                >where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion
                                of
                                >this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                                >who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                                >fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                                No need to apologize Lizzie :) I just saw it as an opportunity to mention
                                that there are indeed non-Christian folks out here in Email Land that read
                                Lewis (or at least one folk anyway!) I see a lot of threads that implicitly
                                assume the audience is all Christian. It's quite natural and easy to forget
                                that in a list devoted to Lewis and Lewis type writers. If the list would
                                prefer to assume such in a more formal manner, works for me. I tend to be a
                                minority in either the "secular" or "Lewis" camp anyway. Or we could say
                                that there is a dynamic opposition between the "Christian" aspects and the
                                "fantasy" aspects and happily problemetize away! (not that Lewis saw any
                                such contradiction of course!)

                                Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                Catholic in the last few years. So indeed, one never knows where reading
                                will take one! I'm not done with this journey yet!

                                - Jen

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 17, 2001
                                  Berni Phillips wrote:

                                  > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or
                                  > whatever you may
                                  > happen to be celebrating this weekend!
                                  >
                                  > Berni
                                  >
                                  > *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say
                                  > "Passover."

                                  You got it right, Berni.

                                  Sorry this is late, but I'm just recovering from holding a Seder
                                  with all the trimmings this April 14, which included Berni's
                                  beloved David. The baked aspergrass was excellent by the way.

                                  Plus, my daughter just had son # 3, Jonathan Patrick on April 4
                                  (yes, he was at the Seder). Mom & little guy are doing fine.

                                  Needless to say, I'm still catching up on the world.

                                  Mythically yours,

                                  Lisa
                                • Paul F. Labaki
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                                    Ted,

                                    I apologize if this is eroneosly sent to you, but, if so, I'm hoping the
                                    correct person sees it on the list: With issue #86 of mailings I received a
                                    notice saying fyi 'your publication subscriptions are as follows: Mythlore
                                    (current issue #86) expires with issue #90.' The last issue I received was
                                    #87. To whom should I write about this?

                                    I confess to being two weeks behind in email, I've been out of cyberspace
                                    for a while. It's nice out there.

                                    Peace,
                                    Paul Labaki

                                  • ted sherman
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                                      Paul,

                                      Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
                                      agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
                                      before May 15. My apologies for the delay.

                                      Yours,

                                      Ted
                                      ------------------------------
                                      Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                                      tsherman@... Office
                                      tedsherman@... Home

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 22 5:20 PM
                                        Thank you so much, Ted. I didn't mean to press you; I greatly appreciate
                                        the effort and devotion you so obviously give to Mythlore and the Society.

                                        Peace,
                                        Paul Labaki
                                        Living (in cyberspace) a couple weeks behind the times.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 22 8:17 PM
                                          You're welcome, Paul. And you weren't pressing. I hope you enjoy Issue 88.

                                          Ted