Re: [mythsoc] CS Lewis in Christianity Today

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
      From: <Stolzi@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 5:05 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] CS Lewis in Christianity Today

      > In a message dated 4/11/01 12:20:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > tedsherman@... writes:
      >
      > > This
      > > issue of Mythlore is devoted to The Chronicles of Narnia and is, if I
      may
      > > say
      > > so, a fantastic issue!
      >
      > Some profs who wrote papers on Narnia
      > Grew gradually barmier and barmier
      So I say, with regret,
      Just to end this quintet,
      Read Mythlore! I'm sure it will l'arn-ya!

      > Mary S

      I just couldn't resist.

      Berni
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
        Wendell Wagner wrote:

        > I've messed around about writing the review of his tape, partly because it's
        > not going to be easy to write. He seems like a very nice guy, but it's not a
        > good course. It's the poorest of the 20 or so courses I've listened to from
        > The Great Courses on Tape.

        That's too bad. The article in Christianity Today is excellent, IMO. It's one
        I'll be re-reading many times. The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
        Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics, but of how
        to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to Naturalism. A
        recurring theme is that Christians fail to reach post-modern culture, not because
        we don't understand apologetics, but because we ourselves too often implicitly
        accept the Enlightenment assumptions underlying post-modernism. (Told you it
        reminded me of Mars Hill! :-) Another recurring theme in it is the relationship
        between art and the Incarnation of Christ. A lot to think about.

        --
        David J. Finnamore
        Nashville, TN, USA
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
          bernip@... writes:

          > > Some profs who wrote papers on Narnia
          > > Grew gradually barmier and barmier
          > So I say, with regret,
          > Just to end this quintet,
          > Read Mythlore! I'm sure it will l'arn-ya!

          Brilliant, Berni-ya! :)

          Mary S
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
            In a message dated 04/12/01 5:48:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            daeron@... writes:

            << The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
            Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics, but
            of how
            to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to
            Naturalism. >>

            I should dig up a copy, ha ha. Add to the list of wishful thinking.
            Neo-paganism and agnosticism or even atheism are the real dangers in today's
            age of exploring various spiritualities and religions. I mean, to those who
            would like to be religious, acknowledging here that not everyone on this list
            subscribes to the Christianity aspect of the mythopoeic/Inkling hobby.

            BTW Who or what is Mars Hill?

            BTW2, I have CP Snow on my pocket search list, but I did get a copy of
            LeGuin's book of essays about, I think, women and writing. Not that those
            two are related...

            Lizzie
          • Ted Sherman
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
              I've been thinking about Wendell's post, wondering what to say. I don't know Lou Markos (never having met him), but he and I have
              corresponded quite a bit about his Mythlore article. It seems to me, Wendell, that you have rather maligned Markos with your comments
              below, yet you don't give any reasons or evidence for your offhand dismissal of the course. I understand that you're working on a review
              for Mythprint, but, again as I see it, you now either need to substantiate your comments below or apologize publicly. I don't mean to be a
              wet blanket or anything, but I just hate to see someone's reputation (based upon material they have produced) sullied without supporting
              reasons.

              Ted
              "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

              > Wendell Wagner wrote:
              >
              > > I've messed around about writing the review of his tape, partly because it's
              > > not going to be easy to write. He seems like a very nice guy, but it's not a
              > > good course. It's the poorest of the 20 or so courses I've listened to from
              > > The Great Courses on Tape.
              >
              > That's too bad. The article in Christianity Today is excellent, IMO. It's one
              > I'll be re-reading many times. The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
              > Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics, but of how
              > to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to Naturalism. A
              > recurring theme is that Christians fail to reach post-modern culture, not because
              > we don't understand apologetics, but because we ourselves too often implicitly
              > accept the Enlightenment assumptions underlying post-modernism. (Told you it
              > reminded me of Mars Hill! :-) Another recurring theme in it is the relationship
              > between art and the Incarnation of Christ. A lot to think about.
              >
              > --
              > David J. Finnamore
              > Nashville, TN, USA
              > http://personal.bna.bellsouth.net/bna/d/f/dfin/index.html
              > --

              Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
              Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
              Associate Professor of English
              Murfreesboro, TN 37132
              615 898-5836 Office
              615 898-5098 FAX
              tsherman@...
            • jen stevens
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                At 06:19 PM 4/12/2001 EDT, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
                >In a message dated 04/12/01 5:48:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                >daeron@... writes:
                >
                ><< The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
                > Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics,
                but
                >of how
                > to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to
                >Naturalism. >>
                >
                >I should dig up a copy, ha ha. Add to the list of wishful thinking.
                >Neo-paganism and agnosticism or even atheism are the real dangers in today's
                >age of exploring various spiritualities and religions. I mean, to those who
                >would like to be religious, acknowledging here that not everyone on this
                list
                >subscribes to the Christianity aspect of the mythopoeic/Inkling hobby.

                Such as I. I was raised Evangelical Christian on a heavy diet of C.S.
                Lewis. Mr. Lewis and his friend Mr. Tolkien led me to an interest in
                academia and literature. Which to a large extent, led me to losing my faith
                whilst reading biblical criticism and post-modern theory; I haven't yet
                figured out what to find instead (I do wonder what Mr. Lewis would make of
                that :) I still love Lewis' and Tolkien's books and happily collect old
                hardback editions of them. I attended the Tolkien Centuary Conference at
                Oxford in the early 90's, wrote my undergraduate honor's thesis on
                narrative structure in LoTR, and am now trying to write a paper on an
                aspect of the Narnia books. I have long striven to work on both my
                scholarly and "creative" endeavors in the manner that Lewis and Tolkien
                did. Someday I will write those novels (and someday I will finish my Lewis
                paper!) I am a happy Unitarian-Universalist. And although neo-paganism
                doesn't work for me, I don't find it at all dangerous.

                I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.

                thanks!!

                - Jen, who is still amazed that she had to explain the crucifixion to her
                freshman English class when we read Flannery O'Conner......
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                  In a message dated 4/12/01 7:32:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  tedsherman@... writes:

                  > It seems to me, Wendell, that you have rather maligned Markos with your
                  > comments
                  > below, yet you don't give any reasons or evidence for your offhand
                  > dismissal of the course.

                  I'm going to go ahead now and write that review and post it (or at least a
                  summary of it) within the next few days in order to give my reasons.
                  "Maligned" strikes me as a rather strong way to put my objections. I'm not
                  accusing him of any moral faults. "Offhand" isn't a term I'd use for my
                  objections either. I've listened to the entire course twice so far and I
                  plan to listen to it a third time on a tape player when I can start and stop
                  it at will, marking down my comments as I go.

                  When I call it "not a good course," I'm comparing it to the level of courses
                  I expect in The Great Courses on Tape, where course sets cost about $10 to
                  $14 per hour's worth of lecture. I expect them to be better than average
                  courses in their subject. Most of them are. If I were to compare Markos's
                  course with an average course at most colleges, it's no better or worse than
                  most.

                  He's so enthusiastic in his presentation that I wish I could praise the
                  course more. Unfortunately, I don't think he's made a good choice of topics
                  to discuss about Lewis. At times, he doesn't know Lewis's works quite as
                  well as he should. At times he drifts off the subject of Lewis's works and
                  seems to be just discussing his own ideas. He spends too much time on
                  certain things and neglects others. At times his enthusiasm leads to an
                  exaggerations about Lewis that I suspect would turn off someone new to
                  Lewis's works. But all this is just an outline of my objections. I'll be
                  writing a full review in a few days.

                  If I wanted to malign someone, I'd malign the people at The Teaching Company
                  (which produces The Great Courses on Tape). Their publicity more or less
                  claims that they only offer the best course offered anywhere in the U.S. on a
                  particular subject, as if they had people flying around the country recording
                  lectures by many different professors before choosing the one that's the best
                  for that subject. In fact, they operate in a much more haphazard fashion,
                  getting recommendations from customers and occasionally flying in professors
                  to test their lecturing styles. In some cases when they have already done
                  one series with a professor, they ask him if he has any other courses he'd
                  like to do.

                  That's what happened in this case. Markos isn't even a Lewis scholar. His
                  specialty is the Romantic poets. He'd already done a course in literary
                  criticism and several lectures in another huge course on the Western
                  intellectual thought when he suggested to them that he do this Lewis course.
                  He'd never done a course in Lewis at his college. I object to this course
                  not because it's terrible (it's certainly not terrible) but because I think
                  they could have found a better course on Lewis somewhere than this. Why
                  didn't they check out Diana Glyer speaking on Lewis, or Joe Christopher, or
                  Ted Sherman?

                • Ted Sherman
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                    I owe you an apology, Wendell. My message last evening was poorly worded, because
                    of a rush to get it out before heading off to church. My intent was simply to ask
                    you to support your assertion that Markos's course was poor with some clear facts
                    and or reasons. I think you owe it to him to do so since he isn't here to defend
                    himself and for sheer honesty's sake. Thanks for your lengthy post and I look
                    forward to your review. (Of course, if you wanted to submit your review to
                    Mythlore, you are more than welcome.)

                    Ted

                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                      In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      jstevens@... writes:

                      << I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                      Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                      religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                      Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>

                      I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                      "remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                      not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                      where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion of
                      this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                      who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                      fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                      Lizzie
                    • Matthew S Winslow
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                        On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:19:49 EDT ERATRIANO@... writes:
                        > BTW Who or what is Mars Hill?

                        OK, I was avoiding bringing this up on-list since Mars Hill usually is
                        not at all applicable, but, lo and behold, I rec'd the most recent issue
                        yesterday, and the final interview is with Ralph Wood on 'the peculiar
                        heroism of Frodo Baggins of Bag End,' so it's probably safe to at least
                        give a quick blurb now <g>.

                        Mars Hill Audio Journal is a bi-monthly tape series produced by Ken
                        Myers, formerly of NPR. Each issue is 90 minutes long (tape or CD) and
                        contains 7 to 11 interviews with leading thinkers today. The series' aim
                        is to look at modern (or rather, postmodern) culture from the framework
                        of Christian conviction. Mars Hill Audio is nondenominational, covering
                        such diverse issues as the Pope's ideas of human embodiment (a recent
                        interview with George Weigel, the Pope's biographer) to the
                        character-building virtues of farmers (from an interview with Victor
                        Davis Hanson).

                        More information can be found at www.marshillaudio.org.

                        BTW, I haven't listened to the Wood interview yet -- still working my way
                        through this issue.

                        Matt Currently Reading: Scaramouche by Rafael
                        Sabatini

                        "Sometimes I think a lot of disputes between people could be solved if
                        everybody had
                        to wear a lapel pin showing what they looked like as children. That way,
                        you'd kind
                        of feel sorry for them."--Chris Ware
                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                      • jen stevens
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                          At 08:07 AM 4/13/2001 EDT, you wrote:
                          >In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          >jstevens@... writes:
                          >
                          ><< I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                          >Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                          >religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                          >Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>
                          >
                          >I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                          >"remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                          >not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                          >where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion
                          of
                          >this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                          >who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                          >fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                          No need to apologize Lizzie :) I just saw it as an opportunity to mention
                          that there are indeed non-Christian folks out here in Email Land that read
                          Lewis (or at least one folk anyway!) I see a lot of threads that implicitly
                          assume the audience is all Christian. It's quite natural and easy to forget
                          that in a list devoted to Lewis and Lewis type writers. If the list would
                          prefer to assume such in a more formal manner, works for me. I tend to be a
                          minority in either the "secular" or "Lewis" camp anyway. Or we could say
                          that there is a dynamic opposition between the "Christian" aspects and the
                          "fantasy" aspects and happily problemetize away! (not that Lewis saw any
                          such contradiction of course!)

                          Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                          Catholic in the last few years. So indeed, one never knows where reading
                          will take one! I'm not done with this journey yet!

                          - Jen
                        • David J. Finnamore
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                            Hi, Jen!

                            Jen Stevens wrote:

                            > I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                            > Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                            > religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                            > Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.

                            I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                            one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                            would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                            It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That always makes conversation more interesting.

                            --
                            David J. Finnamore
                            Nashville, TN, USA
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                              In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              jstevens@... writes:

                              > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                              > Catholic in the last few years.

                              So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
                              Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                              called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                              Catholics? I'm confused.

                            • Berni Phillips
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                                From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>
                                > Jen Stevens wrote:
                                >
                                > > I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list
                                are
                                > > Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                                > > religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                                > > Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.
                                >
                                > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
                                without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                                > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
                                Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                                > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
                                the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                                > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
                                always makes conversation more interesting.

                                I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
                                Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
                                Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
                                Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is). Someone else
                                sniffed at that suggestion, stating that she was an athiest so it didn't
                                include her. And my best beloved and some of the others are Jewish, so we
                                really are a mixed lot here. Even among the Christians, we're evangelical
                                and Roman Catholic, Unitarian and Orthodox, etc.

                                So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
                                happen to be celebrating this weekend!

                                Berni

                                *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say "Passover."
                              • Berni Phillips
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                                  From: <WendellWag@...>

                                  > jstevens@... writes:
                                  >
                                  > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                  > > Catholic in the last few years.
                                  >
                                  > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one
                                  in
                                  > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                                  > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                                  > Catholics? I'm confused.

                                  I'm confused by the term Marion Catholic, too, but I can tell you about the
                                  Marianists (since they run my parish). The Marianists are the members of
                                  the Society of Mary, a religious order of priests and brothers founded in
                                  France after the French Revolution (hence the equality of the priests and
                                  brothers, unusual in older religious orders) by Blessed William Chaminade.
                                  They are a teaching order who run various high schools and universities.
                                  They are called Marianists just as Society of Jesus members are called
                                  Jesuits.

                                  (Catholic trivia continued: their motto is "to Jesus through Mary," and
                                  their emblem has the words "Do whatever He tells you," referencing the
                                  wedding feast at Cana.)

                                  Berni
                                • jstevens@pullman.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                                    > In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    > jstevens@... writes:
                                    >
                                    > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                    > > Catholic in the last few years.
                                    >
                                    > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
                                    > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                                    > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                                    > Catholics? I'm confused.

                                    Honestly, so I am now that I think about it; I apologize for any confusion. It
                                    was from a bit in "Calling down the Moon." The person in question was very into
                                    the Goddess as a neo-pagan; he later became a Catholic because of his interest
                                    in the Virgin Mary; I don't know if he would be called a "Christian" in all
                                    circles. I called him a Marion Catholic because of his focus on Mary, but I see
                                    now that was confusing and misleading!

                                    I noted because I found it quite interesting that one could start in one
                                    direction, be led to another, and arrive at still another (possibly the same
                                    that one started at). Sort of like the Pilgims' Regress.

                                    -
                                    Jen

                                    http://www.fsr.net/
                                  • jstevens@pullman.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001

                                      > From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>

                                      > > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
                                      > without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                                      > > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
                                      > Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                                      > > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
                                      > the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                                      Quite all right :)

                                      > > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
                                      > always makes conversation more interesting.

                                      Yes. It'd be so boring if everyone agreed with everyone! Like I said, I really
                                      do enjoy the conversations here!

                                      > I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
                                      > Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
                                      > Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
                                      > Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is).

                                      Ooh. I love that. Darn. Now I really wish I'd gone to the Lewis Centenary! I
                                      think my excuse was school-induced poverty...

                                      > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
                                      > happen to be celebrating this weekend!

                                      Merry Easter!

                                      -
                                      Jen

                                      http://www.fsr.net/
                                    • Trudy Shaw
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 16, 2001
                                        Afraid I've deleted many of the beginning posts in this thread, so I can't go back and see exactly what everyone said. I do remember it started with a notice of an article on CS Lewis in the Chrisianity Today magazine. As a decidedly non-Evangelical Christian, that's not a magazine I read, but I appreciated the notice--I'd also appreciate a notice if there were an article on Tolkien in a New Age magazine, or on Charles Williams in a secular poetry review, etc. I wouldn't want to miss knowing about them because the person who found them is afraid to offend someone on the list. (I don't think anyone who's been posting on this has suggested or even implied that such notices should be avoided. I'm just trying to clarify things in my own muddled mind.) I was even interested to find out what the article's author had said about Lewis, although I didn't agree with most of it.

                                        I do think there needs to be a clear distinction made between commenting on the effects of the authors' religious beliefs on their writing (hard to avoid wtih the particular authors being discussed on this list) and proselytizing/aplogetics for the poster's own particular bent. The latter would certainly include "talking down" anyone else's beliefs or--even more aggravating--talking down _to_ those who disagree.

                                        I'd feel this way even if everyone on the list were of the same exact religious group of whatever kind. Just because a group is "talking amongst themselves" is no excuse to downgrade others--in fact, that's probably when we have to be most wary of bigotry.

                                        --Trudy Shaw
                                        >In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        >jstevens@... writes:
                                        >
                                        ><< I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                                        >Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                                        >religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                                        >Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>
                                        >
                                        >I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                                        >"remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                                        >not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                                        >where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion
                                        of
                                        >this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                                        >who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                                        >fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                                        No need to apologize Lizzie :) I just saw it as an opportunity to mention
                                        that there are indeed non-Christian folks out here in Email Land that read
                                        Lewis (or at least one folk anyway!) I see a lot of threads that implicitly
                                        assume the audience is all Christian. It's quite natural and easy to forget
                                        that in a list devoted to Lewis and Lewis type writers. If the list would
                                        prefer to assume such in a more formal manner, works for me. I tend to be a
                                        minority in either the "secular" or "Lewis" camp anyway. Or we could say
                                        that there is a dynamic opposition between the "Christian" aspects and the
                                        "fantasy" aspects and happily problemetize away! (not that Lewis saw any
                                        such contradiction of course!)

                                        Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                        Catholic in the last few years. So indeed, one never knows where reading
                                        will take one! I'm not done with this journey yet!

                                        - Jen

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 17, 2001
                                          Berni Phillips wrote:

                                          > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or
                                          > whatever you may
                                          > happen to be celebrating this weekend!
                                          >
                                          > Berni
                                          >
                                          > *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say
                                          > "Passover."

                                          You got it right, Berni.

                                          Sorry this is late, but I'm just recovering from holding a Seder
                                          with all the trimmings this April 14, which included Berni's
                                          beloved David. The baked aspergrass was excellent by the way.

                                          Plus, my daughter just had son # 3, Jonathan Patrick on April 4
                                          (yes, he was at the Seder). Mom & little guy are doing fine.

                                          Needless to say, I'm still catching up on the world.

                                          Mythically yours,

                                          Lisa
                                        • Paul F. Labaki
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                                            Ted,

                                            I apologize if this is eroneosly sent to you, but, if so, I'm hoping the
                                            correct person sees it on the list: With issue #86 of mailings I received a
                                            notice saying fyi 'your publication subscriptions are as follows: Mythlore
                                            (current issue #86) expires with issue #90.' The last issue I received was
                                            #87. To whom should I write about this?

                                            I confess to being two weeks behind in email, I've been out of cyberspace
                                            for a while. It's nice out there.

                                            Peace,
                                            Paul Labaki

                                          • ted sherman
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                                              Paul,

                                              Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
                                              agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
                                              before May 15. My apologies for the delay.

                                              Yours,

                                              Ted
                                              ------------------------------
                                              Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                                              tsherman@... Office
                                              tedsherman@... Home

                                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                                                Thank you so much, Ted. I didn't mean to press you; I greatly appreciate
                                                the effort and devotion you so obviously give to Mythlore and the Society.

                                                Peace,
                                                Paul Labaki
                                                Living (in cyberspace) a couple weeks behind the times.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                                                  You're welcome, Paul. And you weren't pressing. I hope you enjoy Issue 88.

                                                  Ted