CS Lewis in Christianity Today

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 11, 2001
      The cover story of the April 23, 2001 issue of the
      magazine Christianity Today is "Myth Matters." The
      cover reads: "Wonders of Lewis" and "C. S. Lewis knew
      that moderns need myth if they're going to hear the
      truth." Written by Louis A. Markos (of whom I know
      nothing). Haven't read it yet; just thought I'd send
      out the alert.

      You know those enlarged quotes that are commonly strewn
      throughout magazine articles? Don't know what you call
      them. Anyway, the last one is provocative: "Do we
      really desire a fiction in which humanism and
      Christianity, Athens and Jerusalem, can meet?"

      Zow. (Reminds me of Ken Myers and his Mars Hill Audio
      Journal.)

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA

    • Matthew S Winslow
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 11, 2001
        On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:24:13 -0500 "David J. Finnamore"
        <daeron@...> writes:
        > You know those enlarged quotes that are commonly strewn
        > throughout magazine articles?

        They have a number of diff't names, but the one I find most common is
        'pull-out quotes.' (I work in publications and while we /do/ have a
        conspiracy against the common public in regard to language, this is one
        where I haven't heard a common term.)

        > Zow. (Reminds me of Ken Myers and his Mars Hill Audio
        > Journal.)

        Do we have another listener of Mars Hill here on the list? Great. I love
        the tapes. (But we'd probably get chastised by our ever-vigilant list-mom
        if we start up a conversation here. Hi, Joan! <g>)

        Matt Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers by
        Alexandre Dumas

        "Sometimes I think a lot of disputes between people could be solved if
        everybody had
        to wear a lapel pin showing what they looked like as children. That way,
        you'd kind
        of feel sorry for them."--Chris Ware
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 11, 2001
          At 09:40 AM 4/11/2001 , Matt Winslow wrote:
          >On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:24:13 -0500 "David J. Finnamore"
          ><daeron@...> writes:
          >> You know those enlarged quotes that are commonly strewn
          >> throughout magazine articles?
          >
          >They have a number of diff't names, but the one I find most common is
          >'pull-out quotes.' (I work in publications and while we /do/ have a
          >conspiracy against the common public in regard to language, this is one
          >where I haven't heard a common term.)

          A friend of mine with a whimsical turn of mind once published a magazine
          whose first-issue editorial contained this pull-out quote:

          "I don't believe in taking quotes out of context and printing them, in type
          twice as large as life, in a box in some other part of the article."

          Needless to say, it was not on the same page as the context it was pulled from.

          His subscription form contained a dotted line with this annotation:

          "Cut along this line. Or don't; see if I care."

          David Bratman
        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 11, 2001
            Lou Markos has an article (entitled "Apologist for the Past: The Medieval
            Vision of C. S. Lewis's "Space Trilogy" and Chronicles of Narnia") in the
            next Mythlore, which will be taken to the printer probably tomorrow. This
            issue of Mythlore is devoted to The Chronicles of Narnia and is, if I may say
            so, a fantastic issue!

            Ted

            "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

            > The cover story of the April 23, 2001 issue of the
            > magazine Christianity Today is "Myth Matters." The
            > cover reads: "Wonders of Lewis" and "C. S. Lewis knew
            > that moderns need myth if they're going to hear the
            > truth." Written by Louis A. Markos (of whom I know
            > nothing). Haven't read it yet; just thought I'd send
            > out the alert.
            >
            > You know those enlarged quotes that are commonly strewn
            > throughout magazine articles? Don't know what you call
            > them. Anyway, the last one is provocative: "Do we
            > really desire a fiction in which humanism and
            > Christianity, Athens and Jerusalem, can meet?"
            >
            > Zow. (Reminds me of Ken Myers and his Mars Hill Audio
            > Journal.)
            >
            > --
            > David J. Finnamore
            > Nashville, TN, USA
            > http://personal.bna.bellsouth.net/bna/d/f/dfin/index.html
            >
            > --

            Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
            Mythopoeic Literature
            Associate Professor of English
            Murfreesboro, TN 37132
            615 898-5836 Office
            615 898-5098 FAX
            tsherman@...
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 11, 2001
              Yes, I know who Louis Markos is. He's an assistant professor of English at
              Houston Baptist College. He did a series of audiotapes (and videotapes also,
              I think) for The Great Courses of Tapes called _The Life and Works of C. S.
              Lewis_. I decided to review them for _Mythlore_, so I E-mailed him for some
              information about how he was chosen to do this series, how it was decided how
              long the tape series would be, how he prepared for this, etc. I mentioned
              the Mythopoeic Society. He later looked at the Society's website and decided
              that he should submit a paper to _Mythlore_, which (as Ted has mentioned) is
              now about to be published.

              I've messed around about writing the review of his tape, partly because it's
              not going to be easy to write. He seems like a very nice guy, but it's not a
              good course. It's the poorest of the 20 or so courses I've listened to from
              The Great Courses on Tape. (They're university-level course on various
              subjects.) I have to find a polite way to explain the problems I find in the
              course.

              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 11, 2001
                In a message dated 4/11/01 5:26:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                WendellWag@... writes:

                > He's an assistant professor of English at
                > Houston Baptist College. He did a series of audiotapes (and videotapes
                > also,
                > I think) for The Great Courses of Tapes called _The Life and Works of C. S.
                > Lewis_. I decided to review them for _Mythlore_, so I E-mailed him for
                > some
                > information about how he was chosen to do this series, how it was decided
                > how
                > long the tape series would be, how he prepared for this, etc.

                Geez, I must have been asleep when I wrote this. I meant to write "associate
                professor," The Great Courses on Tape, and _Mythprint_.

              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                  In a message dated 4/11/01 12:20:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  tedsherman@... writes:

                  > This
                  > issue of Mythlore is devoted to The Chronicles of Narnia and is, if I may
                  > say
                  > so, a fantastic issue!

                  Some profs who wrote papers on Narnia
                  Grew gradually barmier and barmier

                  Mary S
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                    > In a message dated 4/11/01 12:20:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    > tedsherman@... writes:
                    >
                    > > This
                    > > issue of Mythlore is devoted to The Chronicles of Narnia and is, if I
                    may
                    > > say
                    > > so, a fantastic issue!
                    >
                    > Some profs who wrote papers on Narnia
                    > Grew gradually barmier and barmier
                    So I say, with regret,
                    Just to end this quintet,
                    Read Mythlore! I'm sure it will l'arn-ya!

                    > Mary S

                    I just couldn't resist.

                    Berni
                  • David J. Finnamore
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                      Wendell Wagner wrote:

                      > I've messed around about writing the review of his tape, partly because it's
                      > not going to be easy to write. He seems like a very nice guy, but it's not a
                      > good course. It's the poorest of the 20 or so courses I've listened to from
                      > The Great Courses on Tape.

                      That's too bad. The article in Christianity Today is excellent, IMO. It's one
                      I'll be re-reading many times. The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
                      Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics, but of how
                      to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to Naturalism. A
                      recurring theme is that Christians fail to reach post-modern culture, not because
                      we don't understand apologetics, but because we ourselves too often implicitly
                      accept the Enlightenment assumptions underlying post-modernism. (Told you it
                      reminded me of Mars Hill! :-) Another recurring theme in it is the relationship
                      between art and the Incarnation of Christ. A lot to think about.

                      --
                      David J. Finnamore
                      Nashville, TN, USA
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                        bernip@... writes:

                        > > Some profs who wrote papers on Narnia
                        > > Grew gradually barmier and barmier
                        > So I say, with regret,
                        > Just to end this quintet,
                        > Read Mythlore! I'm sure it will l'arn-ya!

                        Brilliant, Berni-ya! :)

                        Mary S
                      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                          In a message dated 04/12/01 5:48:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          daeron@... writes:

                          << The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
                          Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics, but
                          of how
                          to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to
                          Naturalism. >>

                          I should dig up a copy, ha ha. Add to the list of wishful thinking.
                          Neo-paganism and agnosticism or even atheism are the real dangers in today's
                          age of exploring various spiritualities and religions. I mean, to those who
                          would like to be religious, acknowledging here that not everyone on this list
                          subscribes to the Christianity aspect of the mythopoeic/Inkling hobby.

                          BTW Who or what is Mars Hill?

                          BTW2, I have CP Snow on my pocket search list, but I did get a copy of
                          LeGuin's book of essays about, I think, women and writing. Not that those
                          two are related...

                          Lizzie
                        • Ted Sherman
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                            I've been thinking about Wendell's post, wondering what to say. I don't know Lou Markos (never having met him), but he and I have
                            corresponded quite a bit about his Mythlore article. It seems to me, Wendell, that you have rather maligned Markos with your comments
                            below, yet you don't give any reasons or evidence for your offhand dismissal of the course. I understand that you're working on a review
                            for Mythprint, but, again as I see it, you now either need to substantiate your comments below or apologize publicly. I don't mean to be a
                            wet blanket or anything, but I just hate to see someone's reputation (based upon material they have produced) sullied without supporting
                            reasons.

                            Ted
                            "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

                            > Wendell Wagner wrote:
                            >
                            > > I've messed around about writing the review of his tape, partly because it's
                            > > not going to be easy to write. He seems like a very nice guy, but it's not a
                            > > good course. It's the poorest of the 20 or so courses I've listened to from
                            > > The Great Courses on Tape.
                            >
                            > That's too bad. The article in Christianity Today is excellent, IMO. It's one
                            > I'll be re-reading many times. The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
                            > Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics, but of how
                            > to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to Naturalism. A
                            > recurring theme is that Christians fail to reach post-modern culture, not because
                            > we don't understand apologetics, but because we ourselves too often implicitly
                            > accept the Enlightenment assumptions underlying post-modernism. (Told you it
                            > reminded me of Mars Hill! :-) Another recurring theme in it is the relationship
                            > between art and the Incarnation of Christ. A lot to think about.
                            >
                            > --
                            > David J. Finnamore
                            > Nashville, TN, USA
                            > http://personal.bna.bellsouth.net/bna/d/f/dfin/index.html
                            > --

                            Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                            Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
                            Associate Professor of English
                            Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                            615 898-5836 Office
                            615 898-5098 FAX
                            tsherman@...
                          • jen stevens
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                              At 06:19 PM 4/12/2001 EDT, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
                              >In a message dated 04/12/01 5:48:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              >daeron@... writes:
                              >
                              ><< The thesis is that Lewis has provided post-modern
                              > Christianity with the finest example, not only of Christian apologetics,
                              but
                              >of how
                              > to evangelize those who are turning to neo-Paganism in reaction to
                              >Naturalism. >>
                              >
                              >I should dig up a copy, ha ha. Add to the list of wishful thinking.
                              >Neo-paganism and agnosticism or even atheism are the real dangers in today's
                              >age of exploring various spiritualities and religions. I mean, to those who
                              >would like to be religious, acknowledging here that not everyone on this
                              list
                              >subscribes to the Christianity aspect of the mythopoeic/Inkling hobby.

                              Such as I. I was raised Evangelical Christian on a heavy diet of C.S.
                              Lewis. Mr. Lewis and his friend Mr. Tolkien led me to an interest in
                              academia and literature. Which to a large extent, led me to losing my faith
                              whilst reading biblical criticism and post-modern theory; I haven't yet
                              figured out what to find instead (I do wonder what Mr. Lewis would make of
                              that :) I still love Lewis' and Tolkien's books and happily collect old
                              hardback editions of them. I attended the Tolkien Centuary Conference at
                              Oxford in the early 90's, wrote my undergraduate honor's thesis on
                              narrative structure in LoTR, and am now trying to write a paper on an
                              aspect of the Narnia books. I have long striven to work on both my
                              scholarly and "creative" endeavors in the manner that Lewis and Tolkien
                              did. Someday I will write those novels (and someday I will finish my Lewis
                              paper!) I am a happy Unitarian-Universalist. And although neo-paganism
                              doesn't work for me, I don't find it at all dangerous.

                              I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                              Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                              religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                              Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.

                              thanks!!

                              - Jen, who is still amazed that she had to explain the crucifixion to her
                              freshman English class when we read Flannery O'Conner......
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 12, 2001
                                In a message dated 4/12/01 7:32:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                tedsherman@... writes:

                                > It seems to me, Wendell, that you have rather maligned Markos with your
                                > comments
                                > below, yet you don't give any reasons or evidence for your offhand
                                > dismissal of the course.

                                I'm going to go ahead now and write that review and post it (or at least a
                                summary of it) within the next few days in order to give my reasons.
                                "Maligned" strikes me as a rather strong way to put my objections. I'm not
                                accusing him of any moral faults. "Offhand" isn't a term I'd use for my
                                objections either. I've listened to the entire course twice so far and I
                                plan to listen to it a third time on a tape player when I can start and stop
                                it at will, marking down my comments as I go.

                                When I call it "not a good course," I'm comparing it to the level of courses
                                I expect in The Great Courses on Tape, where course sets cost about $10 to
                                $14 per hour's worth of lecture. I expect them to be better than average
                                courses in their subject. Most of them are. If I were to compare Markos's
                                course with an average course at most colleges, it's no better or worse than
                                most.

                                He's so enthusiastic in his presentation that I wish I could praise the
                                course more. Unfortunately, I don't think he's made a good choice of topics
                                to discuss about Lewis. At times, he doesn't know Lewis's works quite as
                                well as he should. At times he drifts off the subject of Lewis's works and
                                seems to be just discussing his own ideas. He spends too much time on
                                certain things and neglects others. At times his enthusiasm leads to an
                                exaggerations about Lewis that I suspect would turn off someone new to
                                Lewis's works. But all this is just an outline of my objections. I'll be
                                writing a full review in a few days.

                                If I wanted to malign someone, I'd malign the people at The Teaching Company
                                (which produces The Great Courses on Tape). Their publicity more or less
                                claims that they only offer the best course offered anywhere in the U.S. on a
                                particular subject, as if they had people flying around the country recording
                                lectures by many different professors before choosing the one that's the best
                                for that subject. In fact, they operate in a much more haphazard fashion,
                                getting recommendations from customers and occasionally flying in professors
                                to test their lecturing styles. In some cases when they have already done
                                one series with a professor, they ask him if he has any other courses he'd
                                like to do.

                                That's what happened in this case. Markos isn't even a Lewis scholar. His
                                specialty is the Romantic poets. He'd already done a course in literary
                                criticism and several lectures in another huge course on the Western
                                intellectual thought when he suggested to them that he do this Lewis course.
                                He'd never done a course in Lewis at his college. I object to this course
                                not because it's terrible (it's certainly not terrible) but because I think
                                they could have found a better course on Lewis somewhere than this. Why
                                didn't they check out Diana Glyer speaking on Lewis, or Joe Christopher, or
                                Ted Sherman?

                              • Ted Sherman
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                                  I owe you an apology, Wendell. My message last evening was poorly worded, because
                                  of a rush to get it out before heading off to church. My intent was simply to ask
                                  you to support your assertion that Markos's course was poor with some clear facts
                                  and or reasons. I think you owe it to him to do so since he isn't here to defend
                                  himself and for sheer honesty's sake. Thanks for your lengthy post and I look
                                  forward to your review. (Of course, if you wanted to submit your review to
                                  Mythlore, you are more than welcome.)

                                  Ted

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                                    In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    jstevens@... writes:

                                    << I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                                    Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                                    religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                                    Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>

                                    I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                                    "remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                                    not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                                    where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion of
                                    this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                                    who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                                    fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                                    Lizzie
                                  • Matthew S Winslow
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                                      On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:19:49 EDT ERATRIANO@... writes:
                                      > BTW Who or what is Mars Hill?

                                      OK, I was avoiding bringing this up on-list since Mars Hill usually is
                                      not at all applicable, but, lo and behold, I rec'd the most recent issue
                                      yesterday, and the final interview is with Ralph Wood on 'the peculiar
                                      heroism of Frodo Baggins of Bag End,' so it's probably safe to at least
                                      give a quick blurb now <g>.

                                      Mars Hill Audio Journal is a bi-monthly tape series produced by Ken
                                      Myers, formerly of NPR. Each issue is 90 minutes long (tape or CD) and
                                      contains 7 to 11 interviews with leading thinkers today. The series' aim
                                      is to look at modern (or rather, postmodern) culture from the framework
                                      of Christian conviction. Mars Hill Audio is nondenominational, covering
                                      such diverse issues as the Pope's ideas of human embodiment (a recent
                                      interview with George Weigel, the Pope's biographer) to the
                                      character-building virtues of farmers (from an interview with Victor
                                      Davis Hanson).

                                      More information can be found at www.marshillaudio.org.

                                      BTW, I haven't listened to the Wood interview yet -- still working my way
                                      through this issue.

                                      Matt Currently Reading: Scaramouche by Rafael
                                      Sabatini

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                                        At 08:07 AM 4/13/2001 EDT, you wrote:
                                        >In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        >jstevens@... writes:
                                        >
                                        ><< I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                                        >Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                                        >religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                                        >Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>
                                        >
                                        >I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                                        >"remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                                        >not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                                        >where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion
                                        of
                                        >this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                                        >who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                                        >fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                                        No need to apologize Lizzie :) I just saw it as an opportunity to mention
                                        that there are indeed non-Christian folks out here in Email Land that read
                                        Lewis (or at least one folk anyway!) I see a lot of threads that implicitly
                                        assume the audience is all Christian. It's quite natural and easy to forget
                                        that in a list devoted to Lewis and Lewis type writers. If the list would
                                        prefer to assume such in a more formal manner, works for me. I tend to be a
                                        minority in either the "secular" or "Lewis" camp anyway. Or we could say
                                        that there is a dynamic opposition between the "Christian" aspects and the
                                        "fantasy" aspects and happily problemetize away! (not that Lewis saw any
                                        such contradiction of course!)

                                        Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                        Catholic in the last few years. So indeed, one never knows where reading
                                        will take one! I'm not done with this journey yet!

                                        - Jen
                                      • David J. Finnamore
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 13, 2001
                                          Hi, Jen!

                                          Jen Stevens wrote:

                                          > I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                                          > Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                                          > religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                                          > Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.

                                          I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                                          one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                                          would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                                          It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That always makes conversation more interesting.

                                          --
                                          David J. Finnamore
                                          Nashville, TN, USA
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                                            In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                            jstevens@... writes:

                                            > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                            > Catholic in the last few years.

                                            So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
                                            Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                                            called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                                            Catholics? I'm confused.

                                          • Berni Phillips
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                                              From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>
                                              > Jen Stevens wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list
                                              are
                                              > > Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                                              > > religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                                              > > Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations.
                                              >
                                              > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
                                              without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                                              > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
                                              Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                                              > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
                                              the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                                              > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
                                              always makes conversation more interesting.

                                              I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
                                              Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
                                              Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
                                              Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is). Someone else
                                              sniffed at that suggestion, stating that she was an athiest so it didn't
                                              include her. And my best beloved and some of the others are Jewish, so we
                                              really are a mixed lot here. Even among the Christians, we're evangelical
                                              and Roman Catholic, Unitarian and Orthodox, etc.

                                              So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
                                              happen to be celebrating this weekend!

                                              Berni

                                              *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say "Passover."
                                            • Berni Phillips
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                                                From: <WendellWag@...>

                                                > jstevens@... writes:
                                                >
                                                > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                                > > Catholic in the last few years.
                                                >
                                                > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one
                                                in
                                                > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                                                > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                                                > Catholics? I'm confused.

                                                I'm confused by the term Marion Catholic, too, but I can tell you about the
                                                Marianists (since they run my parish). The Marianists are the members of
                                                the Society of Mary, a religious order of priests and brothers founded in
                                                France after the French Revolution (hence the equality of the priests and
                                                brothers, unusual in older religious orders) by Blessed William Chaminade.
                                                They are a teaching order who run various high schools and universities.
                                                They are called Marianists just as Society of Jesus members are called
                                                Jesuits.

                                                (Catholic trivia continued: their motto is "to Jesus through Mary," and
                                                their emblem has the words "Do whatever He tells you," referencing the
                                                wedding feast at Cana.)

                                                Berni
                                              • jstevens@pullman.com
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001
                                                  > In a message dated 4/13/01 9:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                  > jstevens@... writes:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                                  > > Catholic in the last few years.
                                                  >
                                                  > So, does this person go to the Marion Catholic School in Ohio or the one in
                                                  > Australia? Or did you mean Marian Catholic? There's a religious order
                                                  > called the Marianists. Are these people properly referred to as Marian
                                                  > Catholics? I'm confused.

                                                  Honestly, so I am now that I think about it; I apologize for any confusion. It
                                                  was from a bit in "Calling down the Moon." The person in question was very into
                                                  the Goddess as a neo-pagan; he later became a Catholic because of his interest
                                                  in the Virgin Mary; I don't know if he would be called a "Christian" in all
                                                  circles. I called him a Marion Catholic because of his focus on Mary, but I see
                                                  now that was confusing and misleading!

                                                  I noted because I found it quite interesting that one could start in one
                                                  direction, be led to another, and arrive at still another (possibly the same
                                                  that one started at). Sort of like the Pilgims' Regress.

                                                  -
                                                  Jen

                                                  http://www.fsr.net/
                                                • jstevens@pullman.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Apr 14, 2001

                                                    > From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>

                                                    > > I almost acknowledged it in my original post but decided that it goes
                                                    > without saying. Guess I should be more sensitive. I do hope there's no
                                                    > > one out there silently brooding about it. When I said "we," I meant
                                                    > Markos and I and other evangelicals, not we, the members of this list. I
                                                    > > would have been greatly surprised if the latter were entirely a subset of
                                                    > the former! My apologies for not making that clear.

                                                    Quite all right :)

                                                    > > It's great to know that there is a good mix of viewpoints here. That
                                                    > always makes conversation more interesting.

                                                    Yes. It'd be so boring if everyone agreed with everyone! Like I said, I really
                                                    do enjoy the conversations here!

                                                    > I am reminded of a past Mythcon -- I think it was at the Lewis Centenary at
                                                    > Wheaton, when David Lenander casually suggested that the Mythopoeic
                                                    > Society's unofficial song should be Dar Williams' "The Christians and the
                                                    > Pagans" (or whatever the official title of that song is).

                                                    Ooh. I love that. Darn. Now I really wish I'd gone to the Lewis Centenary! I
                                                    think my excuse was school-induced poverty...

                                                    > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or whatever you may
                                                    > happen to be celebrating this weekend!

                                                    Merry Easter!

                                                    -
                                                    Jen

                                                    http://www.fsr.net/
                                                  • Trudy Shaw
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Apr 16, 2001
                                                      Afraid I've deleted many of the beginning posts in this thread, so I can't go back and see exactly what everyone said. I do remember it started with a notice of an article on CS Lewis in the Chrisianity Today magazine. As a decidedly non-Evangelical Christian, that's not a magazine I read, but I appreciated the notice--I'd also appreciate a notice if there were an article on Tolkien in a New Age magazine, or on Charles Williams in a secular poetry review, etc. I wouldn't want to miss knowing about them because the person who found them is afraid to offend someone on the list. (I don't think anyone who's been posting on this has suggested or even implied that such notices should be avoided. I'm just trying to clarify things in my own muddled mind.) I was even interested to find out what the article's author had said about Lewis, although I didn't agree with most of it.

                                                      I do think there needs to be a clear distinction made between commenting on the effects of the authors' religious beliefs on their writing (hard to avoid wtih the particular authors being discussed on this list) and proselytizing/aplogetics for the poster's own particular bent. The latter would certainly include "talking down" anyone else's beliefs or--even more aggravating--talking down _to_ those who disagree.

                                                      I'd feel this way even if everyone on the list were of the same exact religious group of whatever kind. Just because a group is "talking amongst themselves" is no excuse to downgrade others--in fact, that's probably when we have to be most wary of bigotry.

                                                      --Trudy Shaw
                                                      >In a message dated 04/12/01 9:36:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                      >jstevens@... writes:
                                                      >
                                                      ><< I appreciate Lizzie's acknowledgement that not all of us on this list are
                                                      >Christian. But I would reiterate, please do remember that you can be
                                                      >religious and care deeply about these kinds of questions without being
                                                      >Christian. And I do enjoy listening to these conversations. >>
                                                      >
                                                      >I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I was just trying not to get a
                                                      >"remember not everyone on the list is religious-whatever" smack... but I'm
                                                      >not the most eloquent creature. I hear your story, though... you never know
                                                      >where reading will take you! I'm never sure how to step in the discussion
                                                      of
                                                      >this stuff... between the Christian writers who are very conservative, those
                                                      >who many of us enjoy and who happen to be Christian, and just plain secular
                                                      >fantasy... did I get that sort of categorizing right anyway?

                                                      No need to apologize Lizzie :) I just saw it as an opportunity to mention
                                                      that there are indeed non-Christian folks out here in Email Land that read
                                                      Lewis (or at least one folk anyway!) I see a lot of threads that implicitly
                                                      assume the audience is all Christian. It's quite natural and easy to forget
                                                      that in a list devoted to Lewis and Lewis type writers. If the list would
                                                      prefer to assume such in a more formal manner, works for me. I tend to be a
                                                      minority in either the "secular" or "Lewis" camp anyway. Or we could say
                                                      that there is a dynamic opposition between the "Christian" aspects and the
                                                      "fantasy" aspects and happily problemetize away! (not that Lewis saw any
                                                      such contradiction of course!)

                                                      Incidentally, there is a former prominant Neo-Pagan who became a Marion
                                                      Catholic in the last few years. So indeed, one never knows where reading
                                                      will take one! I'm not done with this journey yet!

                                                      - Jen

                                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Apr 17, 2001
                                                        Berni Phillips wrote:

                                                        > So, with that said, I wish all the best Easter, Pesach*, or
                                                        > whatever you may
                                                        > happen to be celebrating this weekend!
                                                        >
                                                        > Berni
                                                        >
                                                        > *I hope I spelled that correctly. The shiksa's trying to say
                                                        > "Passover."

                                                        You got it right, Berni.

                                                        Sorry this is late, but I'm just recovering from holding a Seder
                                                        with all the trimmings this April 14, which included Berni's
                                                        beloved David. The baked aspergrass was excellent by the way.

                                                        Plus, my daughter just had son # 3, Jonathan Patrick on April 4
                                                        (yes, he was at the Seder). Mom & little guy are doing fine.

                                                        Needless to say, I'm still catching up on the world.

                                                        Mythically yours,

                                                        Lisa
                                                      • Paul F. Labaki
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                                                          Ted,

                                                          I apologize if this is eroneosly sent to you, but, if so, I'm hoping the
                                                          correct person sees it on the list: With issue #86 of mailings I received a
                                                          notice saying fyi 'your publication subscriptions are as follows: Mythlore
                                                          (current issue #86) expires with issue #90.' The last issue I received was
                                                          #87. To whom should I write about this?

                                                          I confess to being two weeks behind in email, I've been out of cyberspace
                                                          for a while. It's nice out there.

                                                          Peace,
                                                          Paul Labaki

                                                        • ted sherman
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Apr 25, 2001
                                                            Paul,

                                                            Issue 88 is currently at the printer; I hope to deliver it to the mailing
                                                            agent on or before 1 May, which will put it into the postal system some time
                                                            before May 15. My apologies for the delay.

                                                            Yours,

                                                            Ted
                                                            ------------------------------
                                                            Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                                                            tsherman@... Office
                                                            tedsherman@... Home

                                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                                                              Thank you so much, Ted. I didn't mean to press you; I greatly appreciate
                                                              the effort and devotion you so obviously give to Mythlore and the Society.

                                                              Peace,
                                                              Paul Labaki
                                                              Living (in cyberspace) a couple weeks behind the times.

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , May 22, 2001
                                                                You're welcome, Paul. And you weren't pressing. I hope you enjoy Issue 88.

                                                                Ted