Re: [mythsoc] hee, hee, hee....

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2001
      From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

      > Stolzi@... wrote:
      >
      > > http://www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/homework.htm
      >
      > Oh, but that's not the best part. The best part is that this fake Cliffs
      > Notes version of LOTR actually fooled someone. An article actually
      > appeared in the Times of London last year on Cate Blanchett's appearance
      as
      > Galadriel which included, stated as fact "for the uninitiated", one
      > spectacularly silly piece of misinformation from the fake synopsis.

      That wasn't the only person who was fooled. I forwarded the URL to a
      co-worker who's fond of Tolkien and has read the posthumous publications.
      (Yes, David, Cynthia.) Figuring that surely she would realize it was a hoax
      designed to discourage kids who cheat on book reports, I was shocked to get
      a reply from her saying that it was pretty good, but she thought the writer
      got a couple of facts wrong. Just a couple? The fact that it was a spoof
      went totally by her -- and I even left the "hee, hee, hee...." as the
      subject of the message!

      Berni