Re: Casting for LotR

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 1999
      Staci Dumoski wrote:

      > I have the oppsite opinion. I'd rather Peter Jackson takes what liberties
      > he needs to make a good movie, rather than remain utterly faithful to the
      > book. What makes the book great is the totality of the work: plot, prose,
      > verse, character, background, etc. In translating it to the screen,
      > certain elements of this totality will be lost automatically.

      The dialogue concerns which elements are essential, very much according
      to individual interpretation. I would very much have a problem with
      "Arwen as Xena," and would miss Tom Bombadil, though I understand the
      impetus to drop him. I don't expect them to follow every scene, but I
      do expect that they keep at least the shape of the book, and not put in
      scenes that weren't part of Tolkien's work: giving Arwen more to do to
      fit a PC agenda, for instance. Hollywood seems to think "Oh, fantasy.
      Action scenes, battle, swords, swashbuckle." Or "Oh. Character study.
      Kitchen sink drama, wife beating, affairs, weeping." They can't seem to
      deal with fantasy which has *both* action and character---which is
      exactly what Tolkien does.

      > Peter Jackson, as the author of the -film-, has the ability to add his own
      > unique dynamic to the story of the Lord of the Rings. I know, I know,
      > some people will be offended by what he does, and tear out their hair at
      > the changes he made from their "sacred text". But this is a process that
      > has been going on for millenia in storytelling. How many times has the
      > Arthurian legend been retold, by how many different authors? True, LOTR
      > is a bit different, not being a myth or legend of indeterminate origin,
      > but I think that it is the natural inclination of storytellers to say to
      > themselves, "That's a great story; here's how I'd tell it".

      Arthurian myth would be quite strange if the tellers decided to
      eliminate the Battle of Badon Hill or put Gwenhwyfar in armor and have
      her defend her own honor. Such things could be done, but I would not
      (esp. in the second case) call this a "medieval story," but "a modern
      re-formulation." The film *First Knight* did precisely something
      similar, having Arthur practically give Gwenevere to Lancelot at the
      end; it was a dog of a film. Arf, arf.

      I could see Peter Jackson making all sorts of changes I could accept,
      and realize that a film is largely the director's vision. But I have
      the right to decide if his vision matches mine. Admittedly, I can't do
      that without watching the film, but I do have the right to make certain
      judgments based on info I'm given. I might like for Arwen to have more
      to do [in fact, I wanted to know more about her than Tolkien told], but
      if I'm reading LOTR, I have to accept that Tolkien just didn't consider
      her a major character. There are some powerful female characters in
      LOTR; Arwen isn't one of them. Galadriel is. I might want an Arwen
      story, write it and get it published, but it won't be by Tolkien. [I
      might also get into legal trouble.] I'd consider the movie "LOTR by
      JRRT as told by Peter Jackson."

      > I do hope, however, that Jackson doesn't change things so much that they
      > feel the need to write a new novelization of the movie. :)

      Shhh! Don't give these people ideas! :)

      BTW, a great job on *Phantastes.* ---djb.
    • Jim Bohannon
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hear, hear Mary! That's a fine term. Who made the rules that say
        you're not a Star Trek fan if you don't dress like a Klingon and go to
        all the conventions? Or that you're not a true Star Wars fan if you
        didn't camp out to get tickets to "Phantom Menace", or at least get to
        see it during the first week? (I did neither - but I am a Star Wars
        fan!)

        Another "moderate Trekkie & Star Wars fan",

        Jim