hee, hee, hee....

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 7:18 PM
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31 8:48 PM
        They are truly sick, wonderful people. Indeed.

        Lisa

        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > http://www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/homework.htm

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2001
          Stolzi@... wrote:

          > http://www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/homework.htm

          Oh, but that's not the best part. The best part is that this fake Cliffs
          Notes version of LOTR actually fooled someone. An article actually
          appeared in the Times of London last year on Cate Blanchett's appearance as
          Galadriel which included, stated as fact "for the uninitiated", one
          spectacularly silly piece of misinformation from the fake synopsis.

          Here's the original article if you want to discover the whopper for yourself:

          http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/2000/07/26/timartcin01001.html

          and if you just want to cut to the chase, here's a report on this incident
          from theonering.net:

          http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/964587989

          David Bratman
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2001
            From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

            > Stolzi@... wrote:
            >
            > > http://www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/homework.htm
            >
            > Oh, but that's not the best part. The best part is that this fake Cliffs
            > Notes version of LOTR actually fooled someone. An article actually
            > appeared in the Times of London last year on Cate Blanchett's appearance
            as
            > Galadriel which included, stated as fact "for the uninitiated", one
            > spectacularly silly piece of misinformation from the fake synopsis.

            That wasn't the only person who was fooled. I forwarded the URL to a
            co-worker who's fond of Tolkien and has read the posthumous publications.
            (Yes, David, Cynthia.) Figuring that surely she would realize it was a hoax
            designed to discourage kids who cheat on book reports, I was shocked to get
            a reply from her saying that it was pretty good, but she thought the writer
            got a couple of facts wrong. Just a couple? The fact that it was a spoof
            went totally by her -- and I even left the "hee, hee, hee...." as the
            subject of the message!

            Berni