Re: Meaning of Mythopoeic experience

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28, 2001
      Mary S wrote:

      > Well, we know that experience, which Lewis called Sehnsucht or "Joy." But I
      > am not sure it's the =Mythopoeic= experience, which has to do, by definition,
      > with the creation of myth.

      Thanks for this clarification, Mary. I did notice that the dictionary defined it simply and broadly, as you have here. Perhaps what I was describing was the Inking's purpose with myth creation? But it seems to have been Tolkien's opinion, at least, that the purpose of fairy stories was to arouse that bittersweet sense of mixed longing, sadness, and joy, reflecting the work of the Creator Himself. If I misunderstood him, I'd like to know. If the Mythopoeic experience is only gained through the creation of myth, then it belongs only to the writer, not the reader.

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA