Re: Casting for LotR

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 30, 1999
      Lothlorien would be a more
      > serious loss -- it's often not realized that the periods of rest in _The
      > Lord of the Rings_ are as important as the periods of activity, or rather,
      > that both are essential for balance. This is no less true in film, only the
      > pacing must be different to suit more compressed time.

      This was the biggest problem with the Bakshi movie. After re-titling it (in my
      mind) as "Battle Scenes from The Lord of the Rings" I didn't think it half-bad,
      and found the animation techniques very interesting. But as a movie, one had no
      sense why anyone was fighting, "what are they fighting FOR?" You REALLY need
      the Shire and Lothlorien and Rivendell and even Tom Bombadil to get this.

      The thought of a novelization of the movie does horrify me. What can we do to
      make sure that more people go on to READ "LotR" after seeing it? And we don't
      need a kid's version of it (last year some of the second graders in my
      daughter's class happily read through the whole thing. I don't recommend this,
      actually, but I read it in 6th grade quite happily, and would have read it
      sooner, had I found it.

      David Lenander, Library Manager I
      Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
      Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
      Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
      University of Minnesota
      Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

      e-mail: d-lena@...
      web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
    • Jim Bohannon
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hear, hear Mary! That's a fine term. Who made the rules that say
        you're not a Star Trek fan if you don't dress like a Klingon and go to
        all the conventions? Or that you're not a true Star Wars fan if you
        didn't camp out to get tickets to "Phantom Menace", or at least get to
        see it during the first week? (I did neither - but I am a Star Wars
        fan!)

        Another "moderate Trekkie & Star Wars fan",

        Jim