Re: M-early music

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2001
      > Message: 5
      > Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:04:27 -0600
      > From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>
      > Subject: Re: Digest Number 543
      >

      > If you have web access, just follow the link in my signature for lots of details
      > - more than you want probably! :-) Short story: Since 1995 I've been studying
      > both Early music and Tolkien's references to music in his M.e. stories. I want
      > to make music that will kindle in the listener a desire to go to M.e. (in the
      > imagination) in the same way that the 13 Dwarves' music made Bilbo desire to see
      > the Lonely Mountain and dragons and gold and all. For a long time I thought that
      > I needed to make the music that one would hear in M.e. if it were a "real"
      > place. But having now read Tree and Leaf, I realize that was an unattainable
      > goal. What I really want is Mythomusic, if that's the correct form of the term.
      > (I haven't yet revised my web site to reflect that change of thought, as it's
      > very recent.) I think I have a few pieces that qualify, in varying degrees.
      > I've just begun recording them. Since this is all in my "spare" time (ha ha),
      > it's going to take a very long time to finish the first record. But not any
      > longer than it took JRRT to finish LotR! :-)

      Heh. I want to do that, too. I have a cittern with open tuning,
      well-suited for trad music. I was hoping to be ready for filking at
      Breemoot, but I ordered a music book of M-e songs, and the tunes just
      don't work for me. I want to draw from English trad music for the
      Hobbits, high rennaisance polyphony for the Elves, Russian trad music
      for the Dwarves, and some derivation of Elvish style for the Dunedain. I
      do suppose that this is evocative rather than what JRRT had in mind.

      Finding sources of tunes hasn't been easy (well, I haven't had time,
      either) though I've always 'known' what tune the old troll song goes to.

      > Message: 6
      > Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:25:52 -0600
      > From: "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@...>
      > Subject: Meaning of Mythopoeic experience
      >
      > Please allow me, as a newbie here, to take a stab at defining what "Mythopoeic
      > experience" means. I welcome comments and criticism (should go without saying
      > here, right?). My purpose is not to set myself up as an expert but to gain more
      > insight from those who have studied it longer and deeper than I have.
      >
      > The Mythopoeic experience is essentially the rekindling of the latent desire for
      > Paradise Lost (the actual, not the book :-), the sorrowful recognition that the
      > desire can never be met in this life, and is yet a good and healthy desire to
      > feel. It is grief for the irrecoverable loss of that which is unspoiled,
      > innocent, and (from our fallen perspective) magical. It encompasses longings for
      > immortality, more immediate communication with animals, and a more conscious
      > awareness of activity in the spiritual realm. It is a regretful look back over
      > our shoulders at the Garden of Eden, and at the angel who ever guards the
      > entrance with a flaming sword.
      >
      > OK, now get out your flaming swords and have at me.

      Agreed, is it not closely related to what CSL was talking about 'elven
      horns from behind a hill' and all that?

      > Message: 11
      > Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:51:58 EST
      > From: Stolzi@...
      > Subject: Re: Digest Number 543
      >
      > In a message dated 3/26/01 11:08:18 AM Central Standard Time,
      > daeron@... writes:
      >
      > > I think I have a few pieces that qualify, in varying degrees.
      > > I've just begun recording them. Since this is all in my "spare" time (ha
      > ha)
      > > ,
      > > it's going to take a very long time to finish the first record.
      >
      > 'Nuther reason to plan a Mythcon 2003 in Nashville (if we can possibly swing
      > it) -
      >
      > Come and hear Daeron's music!

      Nashville isn't infinitely far away, though it is hideously hot and
      humid.

      "It is true that if you tell me what you read, I can tell
      you who you are. But I will know you better if you tell
      me what you re-read." -- Francois Mauriac

      http://www.users.qwest.net/~sschaper/
      sschaper@...