Re: Casting for LotR

  • Staci Dumoski
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 30, 1999
      On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Joan Marie Verba wrote:

      > I, too, would prefer that the script be as close as possible to the
      > original, but it does not appear that this will happen, and it will not
      > necessarily mean that the movie will be a failure.

      I have the oppsite opinion. I'd rather Peter Jackson takes what liberties
      he needs to make a good movie, rather than remain utterly faithful to the
      book. What makes the book great is the totality of the work: plot, prose,
      verse, character, background, etc. In translating it to the screen,
      certain elements of this totality will be lost automatically. It doesn't
      make sense to try recreate what is left precisely, because it will end up
      seeming like an empty and unsatisfying shadow.

      Peter Jackson, as the author of the -film-, has the ability to add his own
      unique dynamic to the story of the Lord of the Rings. I know, I know,
      some people will be offended by what he does, and tear out their hair at
      the changes he made from their "sacred text". But this is a process that
      has been going on for millenia in storytelling. How many times has the
      Arthurian legend been retold, by how many different authors? True, LOTR
      is a bit different, not being a myth or legend of indeterminate origin,
      but I think that it is the natural inclination of storytellers to say to
      themselves, "That's a great story; here's how I'd tell it".

      I do hope, however, that Jackson doesn't change things so much that they
      feel the need to write a new novelization of the movie. :)

      Staci Ann Dumoski Phantastes
      Editor and Publisher "The Fantasy Writer's Guide"
      editor@... http://www.phantastes.com
    • Jim Bohannon
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hear, hear Mary! That's a fine term. Who made the rules that say
        you're not a Star Trek fan if you don't dress like a Klingon and go to
        all the conventions? Or that you're not a true Star Wars fan if you
        didn't camp out to get tickets to "Phantom Menace", or at least get to
        see it during the first week? (I did neither - but I am a Star Wars
        fan!)

        Another "moderate Trekkie & Star Wars fan",

        Jim