Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 541

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2001
      Lizzie wrote:

      > probably done to death... but that's not my point anyway. I am more
      > wondering how much people were moved by LOTR if they first read it as
      > adults.. and whether we have periods when we are more "moveable." I know I
      > was storm-tossed by Williams' writing and Especially the Arthuriad, oh my!
      > But was that because I was 20?

      I first read LotR at age 26 or 27. I found it captivating but not necessarily
      moving in the way the the Narnia series moved me in my teens. Even as late as my
      senior year of high school I used to secretly half hope that I would find a magic
      door to Narnia. It wasn't until about a year after I first read LotR that I
      found myself irresistibly drawn back to it again, found in my heart an
      inexplicable longing to return to Middle-earth. With each re-reading, the
      longings get stronger, the meaning gets deeper, and I find myself becoming more
      and more "moveable." I tell ya, last time I read the Silmarillion - or is it the
      Lost Tales? - where Turin Turambar finds that Niniel is Nienor, and that she has
      committed suicide, I almost couldn't get through it. I'm tearing up again
      thinking about it! My appetite for the Mythopoeic experience gets stronger with
      every re-read. Which is partly why I'm developing music that will (I hope)
      partly satisfy it.

      > that. I live in dread that history will record I was no writer but only a
      > scribbling youth....
      >
      > What could I read today for the first time that people might consider
      > equally, well, moving?

      What could you write today that people would find equally moving? :-) (That's
      intended as encouragement, not a slam.)

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA