Casting for LotR

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 30, 1999
      Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

      > One could hardly expect that every detail from the book (mind you:
      >one book, singular, not novels, plural) would be included. But the casting
      >information suggests that much that is significant will be left out, that
      >characters will be significantly altered from Tolkien's conception, and
      >that events will be added (Arwen as Xena) that have nothing to do with the
      >book and are a radical departure from it.

      There's another factor to consider: most potential viewers either have no
      knowledge of LotR or only a small amount of knowledge based on distant
      memory. The movie will mean one thing to those such as you and I who have
      read LotR multiple times and practically have it memorized. It will mean
      quite another to those whose acquaintance is more distant.

      Recall that already we've had members on this list (presumably Tolkien
      enthusiasts) who had stated that they thought (mistakenly) that Arwen had
      delivered the banner to Aragorn in person. Not all those who have read
      Tolkien have the same level of detailed memory as you and I have.

      I, too, would prefer that the script be as close as possible to the
      original, but it does not appear that this will happen, and it will not
      necessarily mean that the movie will be a failure.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Jim Bohannon
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hear, hear Mary! That's a fine term. Who made the rules that say
        you're not a Star Trek fan if you don't dress like a Klingon and go to
        all the conventions? Or that you're not a true Star Wars fan if you
        didn't camp out to get tickets to "Phantom Menace", or at least get to
        see it during the first week? (I did neither - but I am a Star Wars
        fan!)

        Another "moderate Trekkie & Star Wars fan",

        Jim