Re: [mythsoc] Philip Pullman article

    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 10, 2001
      In a message dated 3/10/01 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      << Must today's children be protected from Lewis'
      evils? Or should the first chapter be revised to say simply that "Eustace's
      parents were rather disagreeable people" - as DR DOOLITTLE has (in my view
      rightly) been rewritten in certain parts, as PL Travers rewrote a bothersome
      chapter of MARY POPPINS? >>

      It's possible to take a middle position. It's possible to think a writer is
      good and to agree with him on many things and yet to disagree with him on
      others, while not finding it necessary to tell children that they should
      ignore certain points in the book. I give all my nieces and nephews a copy
      of the Chronicles of Narnia. I agree with much of Lewis said, but I think
      that (like anyone else) he was incorrect on a few issues. I don't find it
      necessary to include an "errata" list of wrong ideas in Lewis's books (or
      anyone else's books I give as presents). I think that my nieces and nephews
      are already learning the lesson that they should read a lot of books and
      think for themselves about the issues involved.