While we're all thinking about LOTR...

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29 7:56 PM
      ...this would bear repeating, and I happen to have the text hand:

      Of "Lord of the Rings", C.S. Lewis writes:

      "To say that in it heroic romance, gorgeous, eloquent and unashamed, has
      suddenly returned in a period almost pathological in its anti-romanticism is
      inadequate....here are beauties which pierce like swords or burn like cold
      iron; here is a book that will break your heart....

      "Almost the central theme of the book is the contrast between the Hobbits (or
      'The Shire') and the appalling destiny to which some of them are called, the
      terrifying discovery that the humdrum happiness of the Shire, which they had
      taken for granted as something normal, is in reality a sort of local and
      temporary accident, that its existence depends on being protected by powers
      which Hobbits dare not imagine, that any Hobbit may find himself forced out
      of the Shire and caught up in that high conflict. More strangely still, the
      event of that conflict between strongest things may come to depend on him,
      who is almost the weakest...

      "What shows that we are reading myth, not allegory, is that there are no
      pointers to a specifically theological, or political, or psychological
      application. A myth points, for each reader, to the realm he lives in most.
      It is a master key; use it on what door you like. And there are other themes
      in *The Fellowship* equally serious.

      "...Despite many a snug fireside and many an hour of good cheer to gratify
      the Hobbit in each of us, anguish is for me almost the prevailing note. But
      not, as in the literature most typical of our age, the anguish of abnormal or
      contorted souls; rather, the anguish of those who were happy before a certain
      darkness came up and will be happy if they live to see it gone....

      "Much that in a realistic work would be done by 'character dilineation' is
      here done simply by making the character an elf, a dwarf or a hobbit. The
      imagined beings have their insides on the outside; they are visible souls.
      And Man as a whole, Man pitted against the universe, have we seen him at all
      until we see he is like the hero of a fairy tale? In the book Eomer rashly
      contrasts 'the green earth' with 'legends'. Aragorn replies that the green
      earth itself is 'a mighty matter of legend'. ...

      "...The book is too original and too opulent for any final judgment on a
      first reading. But we know at once that it has done things to us. We are not
      quite the same men. And though we must ration ourselves in our re-readings, I
      have little doubt that the book will soon take its place among the
      indispensibles" (C.S. Lewis, "Tolkien's *The Lord of the Rings*", from *On
      Stories and Other Essays in Literature*, edited by Walter Hooper, HBJ, 1982,
      1966)
      ,