British Children's Books

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2001
      I just saw this in last Friday's "Scout Report" and thought it might be
      of interest to a number of people on this list. I haven't had time to
      look myself.

      15. The Hockliffe Project

      Created by Dr. Matthew Grenby, Hockliffe Research Fellow at De
      Montfort University, this site presents digitized versions of about
      100 late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century British books for
      children. Plans are underway to mount the entire Hockliffe catalog of
      over 1,000 early children's books on the Web as the entry point to
      the digitized versions. The current site lists the titles in a long
      table that is rather slow-loading, especially for those of us in the
      US. Once a title is selected, page images are presented in a frame
      with page numbers for navigation in an adjacent frame. A good
      selection of the many types of writing for children is already
      present at the site: fairy tales, fables, magazines, and moral and
      educational stories, such as several versions of Cinderella, Aesop's
      fables, and Jack and the Beanstalk. All the digitized texts are
      accompanied by explanatory essays, which may be the best way to start
      into the books, since the essays include links to pages within the
      texts themselves and related reference materials. [DS]