Re: [mythsoc] Philip Pullman article

  • Matthew S Winslow
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 6, 2001
      On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 15:33:12 EST Stolzi@... writes:
      > "Take C. S. Lewis's allegories. They are some of the vilest ever
      > written.
      > They are fascist in style and in method. If you want to see what I

      Why does this remind me of the character of Rik from 'The Young Ones,'
      who was always calling everyone a fascist. When asking for a loan, he
      writes a letter to the bank manager: 'Darling Fascist Bullyboy, Give me
      some more money.' Anyone he doesn't like is 'a fascist.'

      Hmmm. I'm sure there are folks on this list more educated than I, but I
      don't recall a 'fascist' style or method of writing when I studied for my
      bachelor's in English.

      Matt

      Currently Reading: The False House by James Stoddard

      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 10, 2001
        In a message dated 3/10/01 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << Must today's children be protected from Lewis'
        evils? Or should the first chapter be revised to say simply that "Eustace's
        parents were rather disagreeable people" - as DR DOOLITTLE has (in my view
        rightly) been rewritten in certain parts, as PL Travers rewrote a bothersome
        chapter of MARY POPPINS? >>

        It's possible to take a middle position. It's possible to think a writer is
        good and to agree with him on many things and yet to disagree with him on
        others, while not finding it necessary to tell children that they should
        ignore certain points in the book. I give all my nieces and nephews a copy
        of the Chronicles of Narnia. I agree with much of Lewis said, but I think
        that (like anyone else) he was incorrect on a few issues. I don't find it
        necessary to include an "errata" list of wrong ideas in Lewis's books (or
        anyone else's books I give as presents). I think that my nieces and nephews
        are already learning the lesson that they should read a lot of books and
        think for themselves about the issues involved.