Re: [mythsoc] Philip Pullman article

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 6, 2001
      As a reader of--but not an expert on--Lewis, I'm curious as to what anyone thinks about how these issues affect the Narnia books as children's stories. Specifically, would you consider them "PG," in that some parental guidance might be needed in regard to some of the "attitudes" encountered in the stories (e.g., "sneering," "bullying")?

      Also approaching the allegory issue as a reader, rather than through Lewis's protestations one way or the other, the stories appear uneven in the allegory level. Lion/Witch/Wardrobe and, to a lesser extent, Final Battle, seem to me to be "high allegory level"--LWW can be read straight through as an allegory of human redemption--where the other books seem to at least have independent story lines (although allegorical elements such as Aslan certainly make appearances).

      I'm afraid it would take an awful lot of "mental gymnastics" (as my debate coach used to say) for me to come up with a logical argument that Aslan, at least, is _not_ allegorical. Line him up against the reams of discussion that have been produced regarding possible Christ figures in LotR, and I believe there's a clear case of allegory vs. applicability. [I'm admittedly a Tolkien partisan, but in this instance I think I'm being fairly rational.]

      -- Trudy

      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 10, 2001
        In a message dated 3/10/01 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << Must today's children be protected from Lewis'
        evils? Or should the first chapter be revised to say simply that "Eustace's
        parents were rather disagreeable people" - as DR DOOLITTLE has (in my view
        rightly) been rewritten in certain parts, as PL Travers rewrote a bothersome
        chapter of MARY POPPINS? >>

        It's possible to take a middle position. It's possible to think a writer is
        good and to agree with him on many things and yet to disagree with him on
        others, while not finding it necessary to tell children that they should
        ignore certain points in the book. I give all my nieces and nephews a copy
        of the Chronicles of Narnia. I agree with much of Lewis said, but I think
        that (like anyone else) he was incorrect on a few issues. I don't find it
        necessary to include an "errata" list of wrong ideas in Lewis's books (or
        anyone else's books I give as presents). I think that my nieces and nephews
        are already learning the lesson that they should read a lot of books and
        think for themselves about the issues involved.