Re: [mythsoc] Philip Pullman article

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 5, 2001
      dbratman@... writes:

      > What was Lewis thinking of when he described Eustace's parents' "special
      > underwear": does anyone know?

      I'd always thought it meant Jaeger, but this seems a bit early in date:

      "A must for those 'in the know' in the 1880s was Dr. Gustav Jaeger's sanitary
      woolen clothing that was said to be the most healthy kind in all
      circumstances.
      It was believed that in hot weather, wool was cooler than any other material
      since it didn't conduct the heat of the atmosphere to the body. These
      garments became popular initially among the intellectual circles. "

      Still, i think Jaeger knits hung on and were known much later... but this is
      an impression I can't substantiate other than from vague memory. I think
      George Bernard Shaw wore and recommended them. Harold and Alberta seem very
      like Shaw -- in everything but genius.

      Must honorably say that I know some very nice vegetarians who =aren't=
      fascists: your wife for one, David; my daughter-in-law for another.

      Since no one has ventured a guess - the quote condemning Lewis is (I am told)
      taken from Alan Garner, author of WEIRDSTONE OF BRISINGAMEN, MOON OF GOMRATH,
      THE OWL SERVICE and several other books for young people.

      Mary S
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 10, 2001
        In a message dated 3/10/01 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << Must today's children be protected from Lewis'
        evils? Or should the first chapter be revised to say simply that "Eustace's
        parents were rather disagreeable people" - as DR DOOLITTLE has (in my view
        rightly) been rewritten in certain parts, as PL Travers rewrote a bothersome
        chapter of MARY POPPINS? >>

        It's possible to take a middle position. It's possible to think a writer is
        good and to agree with him on many things and yet to disagree with him on
        others, while not finding it necessary to tell children that they should
        ignore certain points in the book. I give all my nieces and nephews a copy
        of the Chronicles of Narnia. I agree with much of Lewis said, but I think
        that (like anyone else) he was incorrect on a few issues. I don't find it
        necessary to include an "errata" list of wrong ideas in Lewis's books (or
        anyone else's books I give as presents). I think that my nieces and nephews
        are already learning the lesson that they should read a lot of books and
        think for themselves about the issues involved.