Re: [mythsoc] Philip Pullman article

  • Christine Howlett
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 5, 2001
      I suppose CSL is trying to describe in shorthand people who are
      condescending and superficial - as well as very unimaginative (worse, he
      probably couldn't say!). But I have to agree that his thumbnail sketch is
      most unfortunate; CSL becomes the one who is condescending and superficial.
      Nevertheless, I love the books and have re-read them a dozen times at least.
      If I were going to be measured by the worst that ever came out of my mouth
      or pen, it would be a lot more mean-spirited and stupid than CSL's worst,
      though my best wouldn't come nearly up to his ankle in imaginative power.
      That inspite of the fact that I'd like to take a ruler to his hand sometimes
      for silly sexism and racial insensitivity.

      Even Homer nods.

      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 10, 2001
        In a message dated 3/10/01 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...

        << Must today's children be protected from Lewis'
        evils? Or should the first chapter be revised to say simply that "Eustace's
        parents were rather disagreeable people" - as DR DOOLITTLE has (in my view
        rightly) been rewritten in certain parts, as PL Travers rewrote a bothersome
        chapter of MARY POPPINS? >>

        It's possible to take a middle position. It's possible to think a writer is
        good and to agree with him on many things and yet to disagree with him on
        others, while not finding it necessary to tell children that they should
        ignore certain points in the book. I give all my nieces and nephews a copy
        of the Chronicles of Narnia. I agree with much of Lewis said, but I think
        that (like anyone else) he was incorrect on a few issues. I don't find it
        necessary to include an "errata" list of wrong ideas in Lewis's books (or
        anyone else's books I give as presents). I think that my nieces and nephews
        are already learning the lesson that they should read a lot of books and
        think for themselves about the issues involved.