Re: [mythsoc] Philip Pullman article

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 3, 2001
      In a message dated 03/03/2001 3:34:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      Stolzi@... writes:

      << Also I think he books are very badly written and morally repugnant." >>

      Oh, ick, that's enough to give one a bad taste in the mouth for a while. And
      one is deprived of the simple body language to show affrontery, for it hardly
      seems worthwhile to argue with such an attitude. Have they even taken into
      account the time difference? Just think what a field day they would have
      with Kipling....

      Lizzie
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 10, 2001
        In a message dated 3/10/01 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << Must today's children be protected from Lewis'
        evils? Or should the first chapter be revised to say simply that "Eustace's
        parents were rather disagreeable people" - as DR DOOLITTLE has (in my view
        rightly) been rewritten in certain parts, as PL Travers rewrote a bothersome
        chapter of MARY POPPINS? >>

        It's possible to take a middle position. It's possible to think a writer is
        good and to agree with him on many things and yet to disagree with him on
        others, while not finding it necessary to tell children that they should
        ignore certain points in the book. I give all my nieces and nephews a copy
        of the Chronicles of Narnia. I agree with much of Lewis said, but I think
        that (like anyone else) he was incorrect on a few issues. I don't find it
        necessary to include an "errata" list of wrong ideas in Lewis's books (or
        anyone else's books I give as presents). I think that my nieces and nephews
        are already learning the lesson that they should read a lot of books and
        think for themselves about the issues involved.